Newbie Need some advice

Thread: Need some advice

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need some advice

Hello,

My name is Joe and I am interested in CNC machines. I am new to this field, but have been working with wood for a while now. I would like to know if it would be beneficial for me to build my own CNC or purchase one. If I build one is there a kit that would be recommended and if I buy one is there a specific one that everyone would recommend?

I will be making signs, wooded boxes, bookshelves, and other things. I am sure my wife will have her list of things for me to make also....

I am not sure on my CAD and CAM software yet so if anyone recommends something that would be great also.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown197920 View Post
    Hello,

My name is Joe and I am interested in CNC machines. I am new to this field, but have been working with wood for a while now. I would like to know if it would be beneficial for me to build my own CNC or purchase one. If I build one is there a kit that would be recommended and if I buy one is there a specific one that everyone would recommend?
    Beneficial for you is entirely up to you. You have to have an interest in CNC to really leverage it as it takes some time to master. If you are talking about a business here then I would have to say CNC is a requirement. Hobby wise it really is up to you.

As far as building or buying there are so many designs out there that nobody can say for sure which is best for you. You need to address this yourself based on available space, interests, costs and your ability to acquire the required skills.
    I will be making signs, wooded boxes, bookshelves, and other things. I am sure my wife will have her list of things for me to make also....
    I'm not even convinced a CNC router would beal that useful for some of the things you list. They are great for signs that is for sure, but one off book shelves and the like I'm not convinced.
    I am not sure on my CAD and CAM software yet so if anyone recommends something that would be great also.
    Draftsight might be a good free starter for CAD
    Thanks in advance

Joe
    No problem! I'm not sure if I was helpful here. As noted it is easy for a business to justify various CNC machines, as an individual it is a want more than anything. My suggestion would be to study up before even thinking about buying a machine. A CNC machine can make a good table saw look cheap depending upon what you buy and what you need.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply.

The book shelves would be irregular shaped and require me to use a jig saw now. I wish they were straight as a table saw would work well. The book shelves would not be very big so They should fit into a small machine area. The signs, plaques, engravings, etc would be better if I had a CNC machine. There would also be times where I may have to do engravings on the sides of these irregular book shelves or even cabinet doors. I would not like to do these by hand so I figured CNC is the way to go.

I have about $4000 - $4500 budgeted to spend on the machine only. I figure given my space to use I would be in the 2'x4' range for a CNC. With this budget and since want to take my work and create a small business with it then it sounds like you would recommend CNC.

If I purchase a CNC in the size range listed above would you recommend a certain type? I know this may be hard to do, but there has to be a brand that everyone likes right?

Thanks

Joe

I have seen programs such as Vcarve and ArtCAM which seem good. I will check into Draftsight.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Joe,
    Welcome to the world of CNC. My first suggestion would be to spend a couple of months reading this forum. Only you can answer your question and the only way for you to do this is to educate yourself. I spent 4 months (every evening for 3 hours) reading this forum. I can tell you I am far from being an expert, but I figured out (with the help of many people on this forum) what I wanted to build. Whether you go for a kit or build it yourself, there will be trade-offs between accuracy, speed and cost (you can mitigate this if you are able to find good deals and can do some machining yourself).

One last thought, spend time figuring out how it all works before buying anything. If you change your mind on something, the re-sale on any of this stuff is not very good.

Good luck.
    Rick

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I will continue reading and doing research for the next few days. I am leaning on buying and not building as I feel it would be the best way to get going soon.

Thanks

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

In your budget range, building your own machine will probably get you double the size, and better performance. There aren't many ready to run machines in that price range, and the ones that are available won't perform any better than a homebuilt, and possibly worse.

Now, that also depends on exactly what you build. THe most popular kits these days are the CNC ROuter Parts routers, which are solid, good performing machines. There are kits out there that cost a similar amount, and don't perform 1/10 as well.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    In your budget range, building your own machine will probably get you double the size, and better performance. There aren't many ready to run machines in that price range, and the ones that are available won't perform any better than a homebuilt, and possibly worse.
    This is the key, the really low cost machines are "entry" level at best. More importantly if you don't double the size of the machine you can make it much stiffer for the same amount of money. It is really a situation of being more flexible in how your money is spent.

However going the DIY route is only feasible if you have the resources to pull it off. That means a decent shop and access to a machine shop if and when needed.
    Now, that also depends on exactly what you build. THe most popular kits these days are the CNC ROuter Parts routers, which are solid, good performing machines.
    Also a kit isn't exactly a DIY machine, it can be likened to assembling a bicycle or maybe some fancy knocked down furniture. Ok maybe not that simple but it certainly is a solution that lies about halfway between a DIY machine and a commercial machine. A kit isn't a bad idea really as you learn a bit about the machine as you assemble it. More importantly you save enough money to make a viable machine affordable.
    There are kits out there that cost a similar amount, and don't perform 1/10 as well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

Thanks for the information everyone. Its nice to see a forum with helpful individuals on it.

I have been doing some looking around at CNC machines that are in my price range and size needed. I came across a company called Probotix and found this CNC that seems real solid and in my price range.

FireBall Meteor - FireBall Meteor

Anybody used this company or can shed some light on this machine?

Thanks

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown197920 View Post
    Hello,

Thanks for the information everyone. Its nice to see a forum with helpful individuals on it.
    Hopefully you will get more opinions.
    I have been doing some looking around at CNC machines that are in my price range and size needed. I came across a company called Probotix and found this CNC that seems real solid and in my price range.
    I wouldn't call that real solid. It is about what I would expect in that price range. Honestly though its suitability depends upon how you intend to use the machine. Machining balsa wood for a remote control airplane is entirely different than machining cabinet parts out of iron wood, teak or what have you.

Beyond that there seems to be technical issues with machine data on their web site. Frankly I'm at the tail end of along 12 hour shift so it could be me. Maybe somebody else can take a quick look at step resolutions abpnd other data on site.

Anybody used this company or can shed some light on this machine?

Thanks

Joe
    I haven't.

Downloads
    Uploads

For about the same price, this kit will give you double the size, more rigidity, and 3x the performance.
    PRO4848 4' x 4' CNC Router Kit | CNCRouterParts
    You'll need to add this electronics kit, which brings you to just under $4100.
    4 Axis Electronics Kit | CNCRouterParts

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

DraftSight is good but it is a CAD program not CAM. You still need to generate toolpaths... VCarve is probably the best deal for the money. ArtCAM starts off cheaply enough but can get very expensive with all the add-ons. If you do mostly 2.5D work and have a free CAD like DraftSight you might be able to get away with just Cut2D...