New Machine Build Rotating ball nut

Thread: Rotating ball nut

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Rotating ball nut

Hi everyone,

I'm building an 8' x 4' router table, here is what I have so far:

Rotating ball nut-router-table-gantry-jpgRotating ball nut-router-gantry-front-jpg

I'm using 2 x 2510 ballscrews under the cutting table for the x axis and have hit a problem. I've realised that I won't be able to hit any speeds higher than around 150 IPM with my current setup, so am looking at a rotating ballnut idea. It seems that I can keep all of my existing hardware and just find a way of revolving the ballnuts I have.

I was wondering if anyone has seen anything like these:

Rotating ball nut-rotating-ballnut-jpgRotating ball nut-revolving-ballnut-jpg

The first part I believe is from a chinese machine, so I'm rather hoping I'll be lucky and get a response from the manufacturer saying they can supply me with some. If not, have any of you guys any ideas on where I might get something like this, have 1 made or have any ideas of existing products that I could salvage to make something myself without too much work???...?

Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Judging from the screws on the pulley and their disposition it's a standard ballnut with standard flange (for fixed mounting) and its cylindrical part is mounted on bearings in that machined aluminum carrier.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've worked on some large industrial routers built like that. Couple thrust bearings is all it was in the housing. Nothing fancy.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't believe there is anything available from any of the budget level outlets that many of us here purchase from ...... I think there is a great oportunatey for someone to take advantage of.
    I was looking at a spindle mount from salecnc for $45, this coupled with two deep grove angular contact bearings and some means of loading the two inner races against each other.

I built my own some time ago, but many people haven't the means to machine a housing. I did try using an SKF brand twin race bearing but there was too much side to side movement still, so I ended up using two single bearings as mentioned above.

Even anyone will minimal tools should be able to use the same principle with some pipe clamps and a couple of bolts through tapped hole to preload the bearings....you just need to squash the two inner races together along the body of the nut. I've seen somewhere on the zone a similar thing was done using pvc pipe split up one side and a few hose clamps.

heres a few pics of my solution.

In the housing there is a step to keep the two outer races apart while the inner races are forced together by tightening the array of m5 bolts that clamp the two internal sleeves together. the nut is bolted to the oposing end, through the timming pulley.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rotating ball nut-clamp065-jpg  
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/101936-5_axis_build_full_steam.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have u completed with your project
    I am going trough same problem.
    I am not getting speed above 137ipm
    Well that's frustrating.