Need Help! 1.5kw aircooled maintenance

Thread: 1.5kw aircooled maintenance

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 1.5kw aircooled maintenance

I want to inspect / replace / upgrade the bearings of my 1.5kW aircooled spindlemotor. It's one of these ones and seems to have 4 bearings (at least one of them is a 6002V)

But how can i remove the ventilatorfan without breaking anything:

Even when i loosen the screws just behind the fan i can't remove it..

Is there a film or drawing or picture how to dismantle this motor?

Kees

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You might want to contact Andy at UgraCNC. I know that he as disassembled a few of them.

J

James Harvey
    Harvey Development Corp.
    www.Harvey-Development.com

36" x 52" CNC Router
    ULS-25E 12" x 24" Laser Engraver

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TechGraphix View Post
    I want to inspect / replace / upgrade the bearings of my 1.5kW aircooled spindlemotor. It's one of these ones and seems to have 4 bearings (at least one of them is a 6002V)

But how can i remove the ventilatorfan without breaking anything:

Even when i loosen the screws just behind the fan i can't remove it..

Is there a film or drawing or picture how to dismantle this motor?

Kees
    I have broken down an entire spindle. You will need a hydraulic press. Do not bang on it, or use any type of pneumatic driver.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    You will need a hydraulic press..
    Ok, no problem but where do i press and what do i need to hold?
    Do you, perhaps, have some kind of mechanical drawing how this one is constructed? So i can see what i can expect. Just a handdrawn picture will be fine enough..
    Kees

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, no problem but where do i press and what do i need to hold?
    Do you, perhaps, have some kind of mechanical drawing how this one is constructed? So i can see what i can expect. Just a handdrawn picture will be fine enough..
    Kees
    I have one completely broken down somewhere ill try to find it and take pictures. If you pay for shipping its yours for free, or i can just send pics if its still broken down. I fooled with one around a year ago. I also have a Chinese VFD that you can have, that apparently errored out. Might be able to tinker with it. Ill check tonight when i get home.

I just broke mine down and didn't reassemble. If i was you, i would mark everything with scribe lines when you take it out, so you can re-install it the same way. If your lucky you wont have to send it out to get re-balanced, but it might be necessary condisdering these spin @ 24,000 RPM. Let me know if your interested.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi DiyEngineer,
    Ofcourse i'm interested in the pictures and your experiences.
    My spindle is running fine at the moment but i thought that i need to know what i have and if i could make it better. General maintenance isn't bad too.
    Although i made a filterhead on the intake, it has to 'eat' quite a lot of wooddust daily..
    First i have to find out what bearings are in it (at least one is a 6002V, maybe a VV)
    I try to find bearings with a very high precision. If ceramic (or Hybrids) are available in super high precision (something like ABEC 9???) i will try those..

I think over if i want your parts as, on this moment, i don't need them and shipping from USA to the Netherlands isn't cheap either..

Kees

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi DiyEngineer,
    Ofcourse i'm interested in the pictures and your experiences.
    My spindle is running fine at the moment but i thought that i need to know what i have and if i could make it better. General maintenance isn't bad too.
    Although i made a filterhead on the intake, it has to 'eat' quite a lot of wooddust daily..
    First i have to find out what bearings are in it (at least one is a 6002V, maybe a VV)
    I try to find bearings with a very high precision. If ceramic (or Hybrids) are available in super high precision (something like ABEC 9???) i will try those..

I think over if i want your parts as, on this moment, i don't need them and shipping from USA to the Netherlands isn't cheap either..

Kees
    What kind of run out does your current spindle have? Mine has around .0005" which is nothing, and its a 3 bearing unit. Depending on your application, that will be more than good enough. Actually the least of your concerns, considering all the other factors, gantry flex, tool length flex, collet run out, extension runout, part movement, vibration, thermal expansion, etc. Good bearings that are precision and rated at 24K operation actually cost more than the spindle. Sadly, its cheaper to replace the entire unit with a new spindle then to rebuild. :\

I'd measure your runout, that should give you a good starting point.

As for maintenance, my unit is water cooled 2.2KW so its a bit different. I'd place a nice filter on yours and you should be golden. Don't buy cheap collets, splurge and get ones that are rated for the speed you want to run at and the runout you desire. I bought a set of Techniks off ebay. You can get them in Metric or standard. We use them at work also, and have no issues.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the runout is still acceptable (frequently mill small metal parts with a 0.01" mill without breaking it!! ) but i noticed the running didn't sound as smooth as it did before.. I have it running for 2 years now so i want to clean its internal body, apply new oil where neccesary, and have the bearings inspected.. So i can go on with it another few years. That's all.
    how to dismantle watercooled 2.2kW spindles can be found on the net but how this specific 1.5kw Aircooled 4 bearing type is dismantled?? nowhere, or better, i can't find it anywhere.
    Kees

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks to me like that fan might just unscrew with left hand threads like the bolt on back of the water cooled spindles does.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the runout is still acceptable (frequently mill small metal parts with a 0.01" mill without breaking it!! ) but i noticed the running didn't sound as smooth as it did before.. I have it running for 2 years now so i want to clean its internal body, apply new oil where neccesary, and have the bearings inspected.. So i can go on with it another few years. That's all.
    how to dismantle watercooled 2.2kW spindles can be found on the net but how this specific 1.5kw Aircooled 4 bearing type is dismantled?? nowhere, or better, i can't find it anywhere.
    Kees
    A 1.5KW aircooled spindle can be had for $215 dollars USD, free shipping off ebay. I'd say if you can blow out your unit with some compressed air, that would be good enough to keep it from clogging up. As far as fully dismantling it, just to grease your bearings, i highly doubt you would be able to reassemble with the same preload, and specs as the manufacturer. Especially having it for 2 years, at that point its almost a consumable and should be replaced with a new one for production use. I'd run it until it dies, or runout exceeds your requirements and buy a new unit. If your really going to take it apart, make sure to do a teardown on it and post the pictures, it would be interesting to see the outcome! There isn't much to them, its mainly the order of operations on how to press the pieces out correctly. You will most likely have to sacrafice the first spindle to get it right haha.

New Generation Grinding Milling 1 5KW Spindle Motor Air Cooled Engraving Ba | eBay

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    You will most likely have to sacrafice the first spindle to get it right haha.
    I'm afraid you're right...
    I think i have to skip the idea of wanting to service it... Unless someone pops up with all the info..(fingers crossed)

Kees

Downloads
    Uploads

I've got a reply from Andy (Ugracnc) and he wrote me that is is a lefthand nut..
    As Kevincnc wrote..

Kees

Downloads
    Uploads

TechGraphix

They have a lefthand nut at the top,right hand at the front, but that is usually under the black cover were the screws are, I have not done the air cooled ones, so I'm not sure if they have used the cooling fan as the nut, make a special wrench to fit the fan, & see if you can uncrew it, you will also have to make a pin wrench for the front nut, do not damage any of the parts, as they are all balanced, the bearings are sealed, so are maintenance free

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

My front bearings were sealed, but the rear one was open with dried out grease. How sure are you that it has a pair in the back? I'd make a wrench for the fan and give it a shot. You may not even have to remove the front nut if those bearings are okay. Are there tapped holes in the front to press out the bearing assembly?

Downloads
    Uploads

Some pictures:
    With a socketwrench 13 on the front i was able to turn off the fan (turn clockwise)
    and remove the cap an the rear.
    The bearing there is also a 6002V NSK and looked very clean
    I made a wrench for the frontnut from an old bicyclewrench and two 1/8" shafts of a broken mill. centre-centre= 29.5 mm.
    With the socketwrenc 13 and my new wrench i turned off the frontnut.
    The allenscrews were removed with a 2.5mm key.

To press out the bearings i think i have to hold the back and press to the front end, hydraulical.. Not sure yet..

Downloads
    Uploads

TechGraphix

You push from the back, you can make a plate (like the end cover) that has the 4 mounting hole & a threaded hole in the centre, they are not very tight, & a press is not needed, just the simple plate mounted on the back 4 screws is all that is needed, put something to protect the end of the shaft when you push on it, Your bearings are NSK so most likely they are fine

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 1.5kw aircooled maintenance

Is there a way to get the complete stator out of the housing?
    So now and then i got a "dl"-error ( shortcircuit output). i found that one of the wires touched the rotor and also that the insulation of the wires is cracked on several places. I want to redo the wiring, therefor: removing the coils from the tube would be handy.
    It looks like it's glued in there.. I removed the little black screw from the side.
    I don't think i have to hammer it out...
    Is there a solution for this..
    1.5kw aircooled maintenance-wires-jpg