First dust shoe design

Thread: First dust shoe design

Downloads
    Uploads

Default First dust shoe design

Well after playing with vcarve pro for a little bit, I can up with this simple design for a dust shoe. After three different cuts, I think I got it right. (or close to it) What do the pros think? I'm still learning the software portion of this, so any insight is welcomed. I tried drawing it up in AutoCad 2013, but that is still out of my grasp.

Thanks,
    Justin

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can't open the file. What did you use to generate it? Could you just post a picture instead?

Downloads
    Uploads

I looked at it and the first thing that I see is you should think out the order of your cuts. other than that it looks good

Downloads
    Uploads

I used Vcarve Pro to create it. It was the first time I ever had to use layers, still not sure if I really had to.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There might be something proprietary about the Vcarve dxf format because I tried three different programs and none of them could view it (eDrawings viewer, cambam, and inkscape). If you post a picture or another format I'd still like to see it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Try this one

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fixtureman1 View Post
    Try this one
    That one worked... what did you do to it?

autotec- As for the design itself, why go for a rectangular profile? Usually round will give you better clearance. What kind of brushes are you going to use?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm really new to the software, so a rectangle seemed easy to draw. Plus the brushes I will be using really don't want to bend. I have 2 different kinds, one with a metal binder and one with a plastic binder. I'll be trying the plastic first. I'll take a picture in a little while to show you the shoe and brushes. It will all make sense then.

Thanks,

Justin

Downloads
    Uploads

I have Vectric Aspire that is the next step up from Vcarve pro so I could open it and then just highlight the drswing and export it as a dfx

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are a few pictures of the idea behind this. I wanted something that was quick to remove a duplicate so I can have a few different bristle lengths for different bits. I also wanted to be able to replace the brush portion if they wear. The clamp portion that goes around the router will have a simple clasp on it to draw it in the few thousands that is needed to secure the shoe. The brushes will be secured with a few screws through the shoe and flange for easy replacement. I positioned the hole for the dust collector towards the back, that seems to be where most of the dust get thrown. I hope this works.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First dust shoe design-cnc-machine-003-jpg   First dust shoe design-cnc-machine-004-jpg   First dust shoe design-cnc-machine-007-jpg   First dust shoe design-cnc-machine-008-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

And here is the shoe with the brushes installed. I still have to secure the brushes and do a slight trim, but you get the idea. The brushes were from McMaster Carr I believe. We bought them a few years ago for a failed attempt at blocking UV light from one of our conformal coat ovens at work. We were going to toss them, so I have 50 ft of these. Might as well put them to good use.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First dust shoe design-cnc-machine-009-jpg   First dust shoe design-cnc-machine-010-jpg   First dust shoe design-cnc-machine-011-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, that's a bushy brush! Looks more like a broom

Just be careful that the brush doesn't contact your bit otherwise your router might rip it apart. I was going to make a 1, 2, and 3" dust shoe, but cancelled the 3" because it was contacting the bit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Nice Job Autotec

The dust shoe looks great. I did a similar shoe using plexiglass for the top with a wooded bottom to hold the brushes. I installed two 1/4" alignment pins and hold the halves together with magnets. The only problem I seem to have is the bristles keep falling out. I purchased the metal based 3" brushes from McMaster and I can't seem to get the glue to hold.
    Thanks for posting!
    Bill

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First dust shoe design-dust-shoe-jpg  
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tinkeringtechie View Post
    Wow, that's a bushy brush! Looks more like a broom

Just be careful that the brush doesn't contact your bit otherwise your router might rip it apart. I was going to make a 1, 2, and 3" dust shoe, but cancelled the 3" because it was contacting the bit.
    There is alot of brush there. I plan on trimming the the bristles to about half the length and maybe thining them out if they start to contact the tooling. Hopefully with the reduced length, they wont be able to move that much.

Thanks,

Justin

Downloads
    Uploads

I did something similar several years ago, but as Bill South I made mine with a separate top and bottom. The top stays on the machine and the bottom is connected via four rare earth magnets.

My bristles are from cheap paint brushes (.50 each), I just pulled them loose from the handle and used hot glue to affix them into the dado groove that I had cut for them. Several years later they are still working very well without having come loose.

If you or anyone else wants the DXF files let me know.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well after trimming the brushes, I hooked up the homemade cyclone and shop vac. It was a failure, well kinda. I was using the small shop vac (4.5 horse 5 gallon) that I had in the basement, but I think it was too small. It really did cut down on the dust I saw floating through the air, but it wouldn't pick anything up off of the board. The vacuum has a 1 1/4" hose that goes to the 2 1/4" inlet for the cyclone. Then a 2 1/4" hose that goes to the dust shoe. Maybe it's time I invest in a real shop vac. I'll post a picture below.

Justin

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First dust shoe design-cnc-machine-013-jpg   First dust shoe design-cnc-machine-012-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Below is a picture of how the dust show work AFTER I unclogged the vacuum hose. I used the vacuum to clean the mess up after I trimmed the bristles from the shoe and they clogged the hose. It would still suck through the short length of hose on the vacuum, but when you added in the cyclone and 10ft of larger hose, it just wouldn't keep up. All is well now.

Justin

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First dust shoe design-cnc-machine-jpg