First build "Steel Gantry moving table" - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First build "Steel Gantry moving table"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: First build "Steel Gantry moving table"

Finally upgraded to smooth stepper. A lot less crashing and speed has tripled. Rapids are running at 8m/min in production can run at 10m/min but some times things freak out so i slowed it down a wee bit.

Have been running a DIY 4th axis for about 9 months now with a helical gear direct drive 381oz stepper motor. Some flex i think via the motor coupling. A brake would be ideal. (on the todo list)
    First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-20150114_235634-jpg

Flood coolant was added 6months ago and was game changer for surface finish and extending tool life.
    First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-img_20141110_150901-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-img_20141215_173157-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, when I see your progress I realise I have a long way to go with my build......It won't happen today, and it won't happen tomorrow, BUT IT WILL HAPPEN.

BTW, (pure ignorance here) is Smoothstepper an alternative to Gecko?.....what is the price difference?
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

No. A Smoothstepper is an external motion controller for Mach3. A Gecko is a stepper drive. two different things.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I see, does this mean once the Gecko drive has done it's job in putting out the pulsed signals the smoothstepper then breaks it down to finer increments....or something like that?........learning as I go along as I'm going to be in the same boat when my build gets to the moving stage.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post

BTW, (pure ignorance here) is Smoothstepper an alternative to Gecko?.....what is the price difference?
    Ian.
    Smooth stepper just generates the pulses needed for the drives/motors. Pulses are cleaner so motors run better and faster. And stalling crashing is less common but still can happen. Cost is $179USD + some extra bits. Cheap if time is money and it saves breaking a few tools.

I think you just need to start to many people spend to much time designing a machine. Use steel make it heavy. If something dosnt work change it. Failure is the best way to learn what works best.

I think i will use servos for my second machine mainly for speed and reliability at higer speeds. But steppers at the correct size are still very capable.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi, when I see your progress I realise I have a long way to go with my build......It won't happen today, and it won't happen tomorrow, BUT IT WILL HAPPEN.

Ian.
    No, the Smooth Stepper is a USB controller that offloads the pulse generation from the CPU to its own DSP. The pulses are then sent via its parallel port to the drives, for example the G540. It now comes in an Ethernet version.

Downloads
    Uploads

The smoothstepper is what creates and sends the pulses. The gecko drive accepts the pulses and uses them to drive the motor.

Ben

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah Ha....now I see it......I had it da udder way round....LOL.

So one Smoothstepper and a Gecko G540 with the number of drives for each motor you need.

I quite agree on the steel building.....easier to work with and not too costly.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

The gecko g540 has 4 drives built in. It also has a breakout board built in. If you connect the g540 to a computer with a parallel port you don't need the smoothstepper. It is only needed if you want high speed positioning or have a newer pc that won't work with mach3 or has pulse issues. To start with just get a g540 and up to 4 motors as needed. If things aren't running to your liking you can add a smoothstepper or other motion control card later.

Ben

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, no high speed anything in my court......thanks for the heads up, I'll go for the Gecko when I start with the electronics part, and 4 ports will do me fine.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well one reason for the SmoothStepper is if you are using a newer computer that does not have a parallel port. Also USB and Ethernet work more reliably than parallel port over longer distances if that is a concern.

If you want to go the USB or Ethernet route, I highly recommend the CPU5A controller from EdingCNC (thanks to Arie Kabaalstra in the metalworking section for turning me on to Bert Eding.) It comes with its own controller software which in my opinion blows Mach3 (and possibly Mach4) away, and a lot simpler to tune up than the SmoothStepper. I did start a thread a while back on how I got the SmoothStepper tuned up with the G540 and Mach3.

The only downside to the CPU5A is the parallel port out is NOT pin compatible with the G540, and I had a custom parallel port cable made. However, I had switched to Leadshine drives which I believe run a lot smoother, as well as auto-tune itself to whatever steppers you attach to them. Takes a bit of wiring but it was worth it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tool height setter. Thanks to the person who posted pictures of the inside of Renshaw probe. I have been putting this job off for to long.

40+ parts all machined. Two moulds. And some of the smallest parts I have made. Still needs wiring and stylus breakaway stem machined on the lathe. hardest part making the model and machining the 120deg angled holes.

Auto tool zero - touch probe - please help
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...-receiver.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-img_20150122_194224-jpg   First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-2015-01-25-14-04-51-jpg   First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-img_20150124_132524-jpg   First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-img_20150124_193239-jpg  

First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-img_20150125_112213-jpg   First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-2015-01-25-20-34-00-jpg   First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-2015-01-26-20-34-28-jpg   First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-2015-01-27-11-30-05-jpg  

First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-2015-01-27-12-15-52-jpg   First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-2015-01-27-14-12-26-jpg   First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-2015-01-27-21-01-37-jpg  
    Last edited by charlieslasher; 01-29-2015 at 08:12 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Eg upgrades. Nice damp cheap $2/kg of machine material. Moulds take some time and rebar takes some planning.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-img_20160510_125358-jpg   First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-1462923657735-jpg   First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-img_20160510_103207-jpg   First build "Steel Gantry moving table"-img_20160421_094327-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, what are you using your mill for now with that upgrade?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12