New Machine Build My first machine!

Thread: My first machine!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My first machine!

Hi All,

I've been reading the Forums for a little while now and also Patrick Hood-Daniel's BYO CNC Machine Book and have decided that i should finally register on here and embark on this build journey...

I have looked over the design in the above book and looked at the design for the Joes 2006 and am looking at doing something somewhere between the two of my own design.

So i have drawn up a model using Sketchup to start to get a feel for what i want to do. None of my dimensions are yet fixed but im looking for something with a cutting area of 600x1200 (2'x4' for you from the US) with the main limit of machine width of 900mm (36").

I have attached my sketchup model in the zip folder and a jpg containing the exploded views.

I do not have a table saw and would prefer to build it myself then get cutting done by someone else on their CNC. So tools available for the job will be limited to, router, circular saw, jigsaw, power/cordless drill and drill press. Hence there are alot of straight cuts. I figure if i want it to have nice sleek lines i can cut new pieces with it later!

I am going to use 16mm ballscrews for all 3 Axes, most likely from here: ebay

I intend to use v groove bearings on the x and y axes and fully supported 16mm rail on the z axis.

For motion electronic I am looking at importing the following from Keling as it appears cheaper than soucing it locally in Australia,

3-Axis NEMA23 CNC Kit (PS 48V/13A 381 oz-in KL-5056D) (110VAC/220VAC):
    * (3) KL23H2100-35-4B 381 oz-in stepping motors, NEMA 23
    * (3) KL-5056D Digital Drivers (5.6Amp 24-50 Volts, 1-1/256 microstepping)
    * (1) 48VDC /13A Power Supply 110VAC/220VAC
    * (1) C10 Breakout board
    * (1) 5V power supply 110VAC/220VAC

I would appreciate any comments about the design so i can push forward and finalise my geometry and part requirements.

Cheers,
    Dean

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first machine!-dt_cnc_rev1-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

My sugestion would be to purchase the best electrics (controller, motors, powersupply) you can get, as you will certainly be building more machines.

Also Ball screws seem to be overkill for a MDF based machine. That is unless you plan on using them for your next machine as well. For this machine you might be better suited to using ACME screws. Take the money you would spend on the ball screws and purchase a better electrics kit like the one from CNCrouterParts.com.

Later when you build you next machine you can look at upgrading to ball screws or R&P.

Author of: The CNC Construction Set Books, the KRMx01, KRMx02, KRmc01, and KRmf70 CNC Books, the HANS Electric gear clock book. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by msimpson99 View Post
    My sugestion would be to purchase the best electrics (controller, motors, powersupply) you can get, as you will certainly be building more machines.

Also Ball screws seem to be overkill for a MDF based machine. That is unless you plan on using them for your next machine as well. For this machine you might be better suited to using ACME screws. Take the money you would spend on the ball screws and purchase a better electrics kit like the one from CNCrouterParts.com.

Later when you build you next machine you can look at upgrading to ball screws or R&P.
    Thanks for your comments, I considered using the ACME screws but based on the testimonials on this forum they appear to be difficult to find and expensive in Australia and I figure that I might as well go for the ball screws straight up so I can use them in future upgrades.

For the electronics I see the only diffence between the kits is the use of a Gecko driver instead of the digital drivers and seperate bob by Keling. Can you enlighten me as to why one would be better than the other?

Any comments from anyone on the general structure of the machine? I am yet to calculations on the geometry to balance bearing forces etc.

Cheers,

Dean

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deant View Post
    Thanks for your comments, I considered using the ACME screws but based on the testimonials on this forum they appear to be difficult to find and expensive in Australia and I figure that I might as well go for the ball screws straight up so I can use them in future upgrades.

For the electronics I see the only diffence between the kits is the use of a Gecko driver instead of the digital drivers and seperate bob by Keling. Can you enlighten me as to why one would be better than the other?

Any comments from anyone on the general structure of the machine? I am yet to calculations on the geometry to balance bearing forces etc.

Cheers,

Dean
    You will almost certainly find that the Geckodrive G540 is easier to setup than individual drivers, and it has more features than most too. It has a simple circuit for adding an e-stop, provides an output for spindle speed control and 2 separate relay outputs for other peripherals like vacuums etc...

I would recommend the G540 simply for it's ease-of-use, but to make the case easier it's also the best stepper driver I've used.

Downloads
    Uploads

Multistart ACME is almost impossible to find in Australia. I ended up with ballscrews. I was able to find single start 6TPI single start ACME locally.

I'd recommend getting the g0704 kit with 387oz in motors from Homann Designs