New Machine Build Grunblau (Rustbelt) Platform CNC [build log] - Page 5

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Grunblau (Rustbelt) Platform CNC [build log]

Downloads
    Uploads

Although I have some 2 flute HSS bits, conventional wisdom seems to suggest going with a carbide O-flute bit. I ordered a couple 3/16" Amana O-flutes from Toolstoday.com
    Try some of these at 1/2 the price. 65 023E Onsrud 1 4" Single Edge Solid Carbide Super O Flute Upcut Router Bit | eBay

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I feel the Super-"O" bits from Onsrud are some of the best for aluminum routing. They are far better than the Amana ones, and the difference is real holding them side-by-side.

The InGroove kit is great. I have the set as well, and they really cut clean.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    I like the concept! I would however be concerned that the cooling air exit is a bit small and restrict flow through the router.

I experimented with various brushes from McMaster and while they work I had better results with a slotted curtain of 80/1000 clear soft vinyl (2 overlapping layers).

Another experience was that the boot needs a minimum width around the bit. Especially with larger bits and shallow cuts the chips are ejected at high velocity and the air stream needs a certain distance to slow them down to be sucked up.
    I noticed that too and actually have two boots, one for shallow and shallow/wide cuts, and one for deeper cuts. The shorter bristles help tremendously for stopping fast-traveling chips since they are stiffer, yet still have some give (my vacuum will almost "pull" the shoe down.)

Very nice design Brian on the machine and dust shoe!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Thanks for the link...
    I saw those after reading that I had missed out on an Onsrud sale in the endmills thread. I had signed into ebay, excited to buy a few when I noticed the 'experimental notch' on the end. If this is supposed to remain outside of the collet, I was concerned about reduced rigidity. I have that store bookmarked from now on and will be checking back on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza
    I feel the Super-"O" bits from Onsrud are some of the best for aluminum routing. They are far better than the Amana ones, and the difference is real holding them side-by-side.

The InGroove kit is great. I have the set as well, and they really cut clean.

Very nice design Brian on the machine and dust shoe!
    Thank you very much! I have a couple Onsrud bits and they do seem nicer somehow. Maybe I'll pick up an 1/8" one in the next couple days... I usually try not to buy carbide that I don't yet have a use for, but I am interested in trying out the 30 degree knife in the InGroove kit.

I am also considering a Precisebits collet system for my Bosch. My GF does a lot of intricate woodwork (usually laser) so she is interested in using some micro endmills.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Grunblau View Post
    Thanks for the link...
    I saw those after reading that I had missed out on an Onsrud sale in the endmills thread. I had signed into ebay, excited to buy a few when I noticed the 'experimental notch' on the end. If this is supposed to remain outside of the collet, I was concerned about reduced rigidity. I have that store bookmarked from now on and will be checking back on a regular basis.

Thank you very much! I have a couple Onsrud bits and they do seem nicer somehow. Maybe I'll pick up an 1/8" one in the next couple days... I usually try not to buy carbide that I don't yet have a use for, but I am interested in trying out the 30 degree knife in the InGroove kit.

I am also considering a Precisebits collet system for my Bosch. My GF does a lot of intricate woodwork (usually laser) so she is interested in using some micro endmills.
    I will say the notch does not seem to make a difference in cut quality, and I don't baby them! The Onsrud bits seem to be heavier, and better polished, leading me to believe they used a better, denser grade of carbide. You can see the metal is slightly darker. The Super-"O"s come in as small as 1/16" and are just as good on wood and plastic as they are in aluminum. I even use them on phenolics.

I will also vouch for Ron Reed and his products at PreciseBits. The collets are awesome and being able to use 1/8" and 3/8" bits without bushings is a plus. I do experience lower noise and vibrations, and better finishes, with his collets. Lots of good info on his site as well; his info of fine-tuning router speed has helped out a lot.

Downloads
    Uploads

Let us know how that vaccuum attachment works. If it works well, put me down, I'll may one from ya.

I still envy your machine, for a small machine, that thing is sooooooo nice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

this machine is epic... pretty to look at, rail solutions are wonderful. loverly indeed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Grunblau View Post
    Thanks for the link...

-snip-
    My camera just won't focus on these even in macro mode, but here are some photos of one of these 65 023E cutters. The notch doesn't look like it will weaken the shank as much as the deep and wide flute does. The depth of cut is about 0.60", OAL is 2". The cutting edge is only on one side of the centerline. The other side has faceted bevel grinds for relief.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grunblau (Rustbelt) Platform CNC [build log]-dscn1960-jpg   Grunblau (Rustbelt) Platform CNC [build log]-dscn1961-jpg   Grunblau (Rustbelt) Platform CNC [build log]-dscn1963-jpg  
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Downloads
    Uploads

The major differences between the Amana and Onsrud eBay bits are, having owned both:

The cutter geometry: Most single edge O-flute bits have a distinct tip on the bottom. The Onsrud Super-O (65 series) has a sweeper edge on the bottom, which makes for a way better pocket floor. They also make a downcut version, 64 series, and I use a 64-000 (1/16" downcut Super-"O", 1/4" flute) for doing inlay work and cutting out thin wood stock.

Finish: The Onsrud's cutting edges and flutes are more highly polished, which gives even better surface finish.

Material: The Onsrud defintely weighs more than the Amana of the same size, so a denser Carbide grade.

More sizes: Amana has 1/8" to 3/8" in 1/8" incrememts. Onsrud makes Super-"O" from 1/16" to 1/2" in 1/16" increments plus metric as well.

This is not to say the Amana is a bad bit. It's actually quite good. But holding them side-to-side and the differences are apparant. Onsrud does make a similar O-flute to Amana's, which is the 63 series.

Onsrud even makes a ballnose version which works very well on many materials, and I use it on wood, aluminum, and plastics.

Downloads
    Uploads

Alright, I'm sold... I picked up 2 . For $14 it is hard to go wrong...

Downloads
    Uploads

SUPER nice machine!!! and the colors are my favorites!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    My camera just won't focus on these even in macro mode
    You got too many focal points in the frame for a good macro shot. Lay the bit on a white piece of paper or something and try it.

My CNC Router Build - http://tinyurl.com/c3vs3ca

Downloads
    Uploads

_

Oooooh Christmasy!

Updates to follow...

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like it did a nice clean job on that aluminium! Did the waste cause problems with the gantry bearings?

cheers,
    Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks great as always! Would have been nice to have after seeing all those chips.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    My camera just won't focus on these even in macro mode,...
    i think it's a matter of being too close... even on macro lenses, Min Focus Distance was probably further away...

focused nicely on the matt though...

[SIZE="1"]my first..."[B][COLOR="Red"]Big Ape[/COLOR][/B]" CNCRP 2448 [URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/151447-big_apes_crp-2448_build.html"]Build Log[/URL][/SIZE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice looking aluminum horse shoes.....

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Aluminum Cut Pics and Video!!!

In case you haven't guessed already from the picture, I milled out the dust shoe. I have never milled aluminum before and this was a great learning experience for me!

First thing I learned was that you should almost always CLIMB mill aluminum. This seemed counter intuitive to me so, at the last minute, I changed all of my tool paths to conventional.

Good thing I did, otherwise, I wouldn't have such pretty stock /sarcasm

Here you can see the difference in the finish between the part and the stock.

Not that big of a deal this time as I intended to grain the surface anyway... BTW the chamfer was done with the InGroove 90 degree insert...

I was hoping to compare the Amana endmill with the Onsrud one from ebay, but the Amana one didn't survive the first plunge. My settings were 10 IPM plunge and 80 IPM cut with the router set at 13500 RPM and a 20 degree ramp in to a .05" depth of cut for that particular path. Any advice would be appreciated. I think the aluminum is T-6061

After that, I changed all of my settings from:

Plunge = 10 IPM to 5 IPM
    Cut = 80 IPM to 60 IPM
    Spindle = 13500 to 16500
    DOC = .05"

Just to be more safe, as I figured I could more easily combat heat.

Here are the pieces for the dust shoe removed from the stock... The little pockets are for magnets. I will have to fixture the last piece to do these pockets on the other side as well.

Here is a mock up of all of the pieces together... Try to ignore the blue tape. I think I am going to modify aarggh's suggestion and wrap the upper inch with black tape and epoxy the first 1/2" or so....

I will also be adding the extra layer into the assembly. I have all of the magnets and the brush, I just have to find the time to tap holes and glue in the brush.

On to the video! With this video, I sort of documented the whole thing as I enjoy it when people do the same. Sort of in the 'myfordboy' style. I might do a 'talkie' at some point, but this was unobtrusive, just doing what I would do anyway... Hope you enjoy!

Also for anyone that is interested, I have started the Pre Order for Platform kits!
    Click below for more info!!!

Platform CNC Pre Order

That's it for now!

Brian Oltrogge
    Grünblau Design Studio

Last edited by Grunblau; 11-10-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Brian, that is very good looking work in the Al.

I don't understand your last post though ...
    First thing I learned was that you should almost always CLIMB mill aluminum. This seemed counter intuitive to me so, at the last minute, I changed all of my tool paths to conventional.
    Did you do climb or conventional milling here?

Paul Rowntree
    Vectric Gadgets, WarpDriver, StandingWave and Topo available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRowntree View Post
    Brian, that is very good looking work in the Al.

I don't understand your last post though ...

Did you do climb or conventional milling here?
    I used conventional so the edge of the stock experienced climb while the edge of the parts were conventional milled. This gave the nicer finish to the stock, unfortunately...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast