Need help stepper motors wont turn!!! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help stepper motors wont turn!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately the EMC2 thing limits my ability to help you. I don't know anything about it except it works too. IIRC output pins are pins 2-9 (4axis) in Mach (maybe in all software that uses the PP? IDK). Example, X axis would use pin 2 for step and pin 3 for direction. Y would use 4 & 5, Z 6 & 7 etc. There is a lot to learn, especially in the beginning. The fact your steppers are locked is a good sign. They should be if they are not moving. I will help if I can.

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rdttfc View Post
    Another question: would the step time/step space/direction hold/direction setup number (if they're entered incorrectly) prevent the motors from being able to jog? When attempting to jog the motors nothing happens, as previously mentioned, they just stay locked in place.
    Yes, if those numbers are too low you might get that. Nothing bad happens if they are too large, it just limits your maximum step rate. Also note that the values are in nanoseconds, and most specs are given in microseconds.
    Try starting with large values, like 5000 or 10000, and see if the steppers move.
    Also, I think with most Chinese breakoutboards and drivers you have to wire an extra +5V supply to the bb board (e.g. from an usb port). Also wire +step, +dir and +enable from each driver to +5V, the corresponding negatives to the bb board pins (the enable pin is shared for all drivers), and in emc's stepconf wizard reverse the step pin. In my case at least, wiring the other way around and not reversing the pin does not work.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the tips, I will try to apply voltages to breakout board and the drivers and see if that helps. I thought it was odd that the breakout board supplied a +5V to the drivers without having a voltage input. I will share my results tomorrow (hopefully).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you bcristian! Your advice worked perfectly. The issue was that the Longs-Motor breakout board needed a +5 volt input from a USB port. I have attached an email showing what the wiring diagram for the board should be...

As a note.. I was able to drop the step time values all the way down to 50 ns and it would still step, so I think the only problem was that it did not have the +5 volt from the USB.

and thank you for the help!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help stepper motors wont turn!!!-wiring-diagram-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Glad to hear that.

The only thing missing from that diagram is a wire bitween pin 17 (default, you can assign another, it's called amplifier enable in emc) and -enable of each driver. Nothing bad happens if it's missing, just that the drivers will keep the steppers energized even if "machine power" (F2) is off.

Last edited by bcristian; 08-24-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kev188193 View Post
    I finally got the longs motor kit to work, thank you all for your help.
    Hai kev, what is the problem solving? I have same problem with, i already make sure the wiring is right, but stepper motor still not turn, on the mach3 screen was moving

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rdttfc View Post
    Thank you for the tips, I will try to apply voltages to breakout board and the drivers and see if that helps. I thought it was odd that the breakout board supplied a +5V to the drivers without having a voltage input. I will share my results tomorrow (hopefully).
    I already put +5v to driver but still doesn't works, anyone have any advice?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help stepper motors wont turn!!!

Hi, I'm pretty new to forums and all so please bear with me if I am not doing something correctly. I have been reading on several forums about a similar problem and have tried following the advice posted on those threads, but have had no luck. I purchased a CNC conversion kit for the G0704 milling machine from Automation Technology and I'm having a similar problem with my motors not turning. I recently hooked up the NEMA 23 x-axis motor for testing purposing and as far as I can tell I've wired everything correctly as per Automation Technology's website directions and triple checked. I've been trying to play around with different DIP switch settings as well as different motor tuning settings in Mach 3, but I haven't been getting anywhere. When I plug in the power supply all of the LEDs on the 48V power supply, 5V power supply, breakout board, and motor driver light up. The motor itself seems to have power since it locks up when I plug it in, but when I try to jog the motor position in Mach 3 it does not turn, even though Mach 3 shows that the position is changing. I would really like to get my milling machine up and running before the new school semester starts for fear that I may not have as much time to work on it so any information that can be provided would be much appreciated. There are pictures attached that show how I've wired the stuff together, so far here's what I have (I'm also pretty uneducated in the realm of electronic vocabulary so please correct me if I refer to something incorrectly):

I am checking all of the wiring again as I write this,

The big silver box is the 48V power supply
    - black is live
    - white is neutral
    - green is ground

The perforated smaller silver box is the 5V power supply
    - black wire from 48V power supply goes to live
    - white wire goes to neutral
    - green wire goes to ground

The orange wire from the 5V power supply goes to the C10 breakout board in the GND slot
    The blue wire from the 5V power supply goes to the C10 breakout board in the 5V and EN slot

On the KL-5056E motor driver, the two orange wire goes from PUL- and DIR- to the breakout board pins 2 and 3 respectively
    The blue wire goes from PUL+ and DIR+ to the breakout board COM pin

The DIP switches I currently have set are as follows:
    1 = off
    2 = off
    3 = off
    4 = off (off = half current, on = full current)
    5 = off
    6 = off
    7 = on
    8 = on.

The attached image should show that these settings correspond to 5.6A peak and 4.0A RMS with 1600 pulse/rev.

The NEMA 23 motor has 4 wires: black, green, red, blue, all of which connect to the KL-5056E driver. There is a PDF attached showing the specs of the motor

- black goes to A+
    - green goes to A-
    - red goes to B+
    - blue goes to B-

On Mach 3 (demo version), I have set the x-axis to active with y-axis and z-axis disabled. The x-axis Step Pin # is set to 2 and the Dir Pin # is set to 3 with Dir Low disabled and Step Low active. Both the Step Port and Dir Port are set to 1.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help stepper motors wont turn!!!-img_1321-jpg   Need help stepper motors wont turn!!!-img_1320-1-jpg   Need help stepper motors wont turn!!!-img_1319-1-jpg   Need help stepper motors wont turn!!!-img_1318-1-jpg  

Need help stepper motors wont turn!!!-kl23h2100-50-4b-570-oz-stepper-motor  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12