Thread: MDF Madness

Downloads
    Uploads

I got my motor extensions soldered on today. Slow week

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MDF Madness-mgtpz-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice build! What CAD/CAM software are you going to use? MACH3? EMC? What are you planning on cutting first? Cheers!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lukewarm View Post
    Nice build! What CAD/CAM software are you going to use? MACH3? EMC? What are you planning on cutting first? Cheers!
    I am going to try LinuxCNC(EMC2) for starters. I have no idea what I am going to cut first. Its my first build so I am still hoping the thing is just going to work.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I recommend EMC2, it's what we use and it is amazing. I got on a shopbot and the interface was so clunky compared to EMC, I just could not stand it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Another slow few days but I got the end connectors on the motor leads and the wire chain on the z axis.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MDF Madness-ibbjf-jpg  

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's one of the best jobs I've seen on an MDF CNC! Awesome work!

cheers,
    Ian

It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Downloads
    Uploads

I made some progress finally! Got all the electronics hooked up and did a motor test. Everything seemed to work just fine as far as I could tell. I uncoupled all my motor connections for the test but I did get my Y axis all connected back together and moving before I ran out of time

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MDF Madness-ocv80-jpg  

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just a thought,

In this photo I can see that the router collet can go over the steel guide rail. I recommend moving the guide rails under the table top so that the full width of the table top can be used for cutting. This would lower the Z axis by the amount of the table top thickness and will cause the lead screw to be relocated downward by the same amount. You may not want to do that now that the machine is built.

A simpler way to do the equivalent is to add a spoil board layer on top of the table and notch it to fit over the rail and bolt heads as far as the bearing carriages will allow. That will give a little more cutting width on each side. Just don't accidentally drill through the rails due to errant gcode or failure to re-zero the cutter after a tool change.

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Carve, I have limit switches I am going to install before any power tool gets mounted to try and prevent any mishaps. I have actually thought multiple times, "Why the hell did I put those rails on top".

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by r00t4rd3d View Post
    Hey Carve, I have limit switches I am going to install before any power tool gets mounted to try and prevent any mishaps. I have actually thought multiple times, "Why the hell did I put those rails on top".
    I wasn't sure that you only need the space between the rails and planned it that way. I'm of the "more bigger is more better" persuasion.

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    I'm of the "more bigger is more better" persuasion.
    Ha, my initial plan was for a 12x12 "desktop" router driven by an Arduino and a grblShield.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Other than maximising the working dimension, the real problem I think you'll face unless you have highly efficient dust extraction, is the gumming up of waste around the bearings on the table. The suggestion to fit a rebated MDF spoilboard is a good one and just about solves both problems. Looking forward to seeing this beasty running!

cheers,
    Ian

It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast