What lube on acme w/delrin nuts? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What lube on acme w/delrin nuts?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Absolutely, plastic nuts settle in very well after enough heat cycles as they re-form around the screw.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    75-100ipm is about the max you'll see from 1/2-10 single start.

I get between 150-195ipm with 1/2-8 2 start, and a lot of people get 300-400ipm with 1/2-10 5 start.
    I'd just be happy to get 80ipm without the nut binding up and squalling. I am on a very ridgid budget so this was the best I could afford. Thanks for the ratings for the various screws, it will make a good reference once money becomes available.

Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    Absolutely, plastic nuts settle in very well after enough heat cycles as they re-form around the screw.

well, I've run them quite a bit and here is where I'm at, so far silicon does the best to shut it up but only lasts about 15-20 minutes, each day I have to spray the screw down at the beginning and again every 20 minutes(wife suggested I just spritz it once in a while when its running) personally its driving me nutts, I'm now considering cutting it down one side as a relief and see what happens.

John

ps, if I dont continue to spray it it gets worse and worse until I cant move it at even 10ipm without it suddering/loosing steps and so on

Downloads
    Uploads

If you have a Dremel, cut a slot in the threads near the end of the screw and run the nut over it a few times. It will act like a tap and loosen it up. Just don't make it too loose.
    See "What if my nuts are too tight?"

If it's really tight, you may gain a little more speed if you can get it looser. Personally, I doubt it will really loosen up much on it's own unless you run it a lot, for quite a long time. Especially since you're lubricating it, as the job of the lubricant is to reduce wear.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If you have a Dremel, cut a slot in the threads near the end of the screw and run the nut over it a few times. It will act like a tap and loosen it up. Just don't make it too loose.
    See "What if my nuts are too tight?"

If it's really tight, you may gain a little more speed if you can get it looser. Personally, I doubt it will really loosen up much on it's own unless you run it a lot, for quite a long time. Especially since you're lubricating it, as the job of the lubricant is to reduce wear.
    i got real close to doing that today, I pulled apart the 36" screw and nut and just for the heck of it, I tried swapping the nuts between the z and the y and voila a dab of lithium grease and its running at 100ipm without any noise at all, ran it for a couple hours and nothing so put the z back together and ran it and no noise, the noise didnt follow the nut....

John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12