Uploads

Link is working for me.

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Clearing out a cut...

To mr. Ullbergm who was one of the starters of this thread,

You posted a picture with a figure of lines that you have cut out. You mentioned that you didn't take the time to clear out the cut.

My questions is : How do you clear out those cuts?

If you have to do some tight corners you would propably need an end-mill with very small diameter. This would cut the outline, but leaving, as you mentioned, large islands that need to be cleared out.

Would you then take an end-mill with larger diameter to clear those islands or does the software provide some moves to rerun those spots with the small diameter end-mill ?

(please keep in mind, i'm new at this)

Thanks for any answers.

Mr.Ed.

Not the horse, of course of course...
    Building my own Scrapheap challenge CNC, or is it Junkyard wars CNC?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Clearing out a cut...

First of all, there are many people on this site that have a lot of experience in doing g-code programming and i'm just starting to learn it myself.

Originally posted by Mr.Ed
    To mr. Ullbergm who was one of the starters of this thread,

You posted a picture with a figure of lines that you have cut out. You mentioned that you didn't take the time to clear out the cut.

My questions is : How do you clear out those cuts?

Basically you would write the code so that the cnc makes a pass where the leftover is.

Most of the different softwares out there you can tell to clean out a profile and it takes care of everything for you.

If you have to do some tight corners you would propably need an end-mill with very small diameter. This would cut the outline, but leaving, as you mentioned, large islands that need to be cleared out.

Would you then take an end-mill with larger diameter to clear those islands or does the software provide some moves to rerun those spots with the small diameter end-mill ?

Mr.Ed.
    either way will work. it depends a lot on preference and equipment.
    if you have access to a machine where toolchanges are easy to do you might do a pass with a large bit to clean out most of the material (roughing pass) and then change the tool to a smaller diameter bit and clean out the leftover and make the corners more square (finishing pass).

my machine doesnt have a automagic toolchanger or anything fancy like that so sometimes i just trade time for convenience. i run the roughing pass with the same bit that i do the finishing pass with.

someone else with more experiense please jump in here and explain it in more detail.

Downloads
    Uploads

I use Turbocad 6 it also has a tracing program ,save as .dxf, then I use deskam2000 open the dxf and create toolpaths. Deskcnc is the latest version I think it is around $300.00 for the program and a machine controller interface that you connect to your driver board. So you can run your machine from within the Deskcnc program. I purchased Kellyware Kcam for 95.00 and although it is quite a well designed program it is just too slow. so currently I am using Deskncrt with encoder feedback and a brewington driver board and has been working fine for over a year now.

...He who makes no mistakes makes nothing! ...
    Tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like the Videos, Nice setup!!

Originally posted by ullbergm
    It's been going good. I've not has as much time to play with it as i wanted.. way too much to do ay work..

Here are some pictures of things i've done so far:

Movie of the above part

Movie

Here is a movie of Linux EMC in action
    Movie

Cool, thanks
    What software do you use?

edit: I cant seem to get the pictures to show up.. the links works

Downloads
    Uploads

Been right through this thread but can't find a link for the linux cnc.

anybody got it

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Where can I buy one of these?

Any info on where I can buy one of these?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Where can I buy one of these?

Originally posted by ryarish1
    Any info on where I can buy one of these?
    http://www.cheapcnc.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My enclosure

Finally finished my enclosure, it turned out mostly ok.

Since i really like your design ECRC, i copied it and added a spot for the computer.

The box has not been cleaned up after i put it together, i'm just happy that its done
    Cleaning will happen in a day or so.

You might recognize this design from ECRC's enclosure:
    The machine is made out of 3/4 " mdf and the back is hardboard. (i think that's what it's called, pretty thin and hard..)

This is what the operators console looks like, the door for the pc was not installed when i took the picture, but i have one.

The e-stop, spindle speed, etc. are going to be installed in the blank space below the monitor.

The power comes in on the side and it has a on-off switch to turn it all off:

I forgot the exact measurement, but i believe it dampens about 20 dB when it's closed. Not too bad.

The paint is epoxy garage floor paint so i should be able to hose it down with water if i decided to.. I wanted something that would last and that wouldnt get ruined if i spilled coolant on it.

TODO:
    * Install a light in the CNC part of the enclosure.
    * Install E-Stop, spindle speed control, etc.
    * Get a smaller keyboard to get more room for the mouse.
    * Install relay to cut power to the spindle.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

NICE, NICE,NICE!! DO YOU PLAN ON PUTTING ANY AUX LIGHTING IN THE WORKS?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by BIG AL
    NICE, NICE,NICE!! DO YOU PLAN ON PUTTING ANY AUX LIGHTING IN THE WORKS?
    Yes, the plan is to put a light in the router section of it so that it'll be easier to see what im doing.

The second thing is that i really want to put a relay on the spindle, that'll be nice. it should come in a day or two.

Downloads
    Uploads

Great job!

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by balsaman
    Great job!

Eric
    thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default cheap cnc

I like your cheap cnc machine. A couple of questions. I am trying to build my own machine, and was looking for some ideas. How do they connect the linear bearing on that machine? I can't see any pillow blocks in the pic on there site. Do they just press them into the plastic?

On the ball screw support end, do you know what type of bearing do they use? How is it attached?

How do the guide rails attach?

Some pics might help if you don't know what I am talking about. Any help would be great.

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: cheap cnc

Originally posted by mwalach
    I like your cheap cnc machine. A couple of questions. I am trying to build my own machine, and was looking for some ideas. How do they connect the linear bearing on that machine? I can't see any pillow blocks in the pic on there site. Do they just press them into the plastic?

On the ball screw support end, do you know what type of bearing do they use? How is it attached?

How do the guide rails attach?

Some pics might help if you don't know what I am talking about. Any help would be great.

Mike
    The screw is not supported at the end, thats something that im planning on fixing. the screws whip around quite a bit when you speed it up.

The bearings are just pushed in there, dont seem to be an issue.

The rails are linear bearings that are sitting in holes that are drilled halfway thru the ends. no play, so that seems to work just fine.

Here is some pictures that should help:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info and pic...they helped a lot. here is my site with pictures of what I am trying to build. I statred it before I saw the cheapcnc site. I like their simple approach. It is amazing how nice it seem to cut (Your machine) from the pics. My machine still cuts like garbage, I have too much slop in my bearings. (Homemade delrin bearings). I went to a local bearing dealer today and got some free samples to try. Thanks again for the help.

Mike

PS here is my site

http://members.cox.net/walachcnc/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by mwalach
    Thanks for the info and pic...they helped a lot. here is my site with pictures of what I am trying to build. I statred it before I saw the cheapcnc site. I like their simple approach. It is amazing how nice it seem to cut (Your machine) from the pics. My machine still cuts like garbage, I have too much slop in my bearings. (Homemade delrin bearings). I went to a local bearing dealer today and got some free samples to try. Thanks again for the help.
    No problem. the old saying 'a picture is worth a thousand words' really applies here

I'm sure you will get it. let us know how it goes.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a deskcam nc set up . It will run 900 inches per min if want.
    I am running it at 60 inchs per min at the present on a Taig mill with servos and drives from supercam. I think the deskcam is a great box that is easy to wire and run. It has all kind of import and export etc. I use cad cam to make my code so I dont use that part of it. The control is great!

I also have another taig that I got from micro proto. The stepper box and motors are ok. The cnc dos controler didnt work well when I got it. I downloaded mach 1 and upgrade my p3 450 to xp.
    the mach 1 runs great. I get about 40 inches per min out of this set up.
    It just cuts all day! It uses standard fanuc gcode also . HURRAY!
    This lets me switch between 4 machines using the same programming.

I have a centroid cnc4 here on a BP clone that I am getting ready to change over. I will just build a driver box and use the exsisting motors . It runs at about 90 inches per min now. The problem is that it uses bp code. I have to get it to use fanuc!

Darrel

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234