Router Bits and EndMills: Pictures, Descriptions, and Uses - Page 8

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Router Bits and EndMills: Pictures, Descriptions, and Uses

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the Amana InGroove kit, which has also 30 degree V-bits, which would be even better.

I can't remember who made them, but I used to have an underscore attachment for my tablesaw; basically it's a small blade in front of the main blade that cuts in reverse a shallow groove. The blade has a very shallow bevel, ehich prevents chipout on the back side. Great for melamine and plywood, especially red oak ply. I still have the blades in my pile-o-saw blades....

Rich, I use the 60 and 30 degree mainly for v-carving fine-line text and script; works great with MDF core melamine and prefinished MDG core plywood.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question would a 4MM single-"O"-flute endmill work all right on Red Oak if so what would you set the pass depth at?

Lou

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/140832-cnc-software.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LouF View Post
    Question would a 4MM single-"O"-flute endmill work all right on Red Oak if so what would you set the pass depth at?

Lou
    I've used 1/8" single-"O" in mahogany and oak.... I wouldn't go deeper than 1XD per pass at first...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    I've used 1/8" single-"O" in mahogany and oak.... I wouldn't go deeper than 1XD per pass at first...
    Louie Thanks..

Lou

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/140832-cnc-software.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Anyone out there know anything about Oldham router bits I never have heard of them I wonder if they are any good I found them on E Bay?

Lou

Downloads
    Uploads

I've used their saw blades in the past; never used their bits...

Downloads
    Uploads

Louie Thanks how where there saw blades any good? I was looking at there v groove bits. I just ordered from the Drillman other bits but he does not have any V groove bits..

Lou

Downloads
    Uploads

Louie Thanks how where there saw blades any good? I was looking at there v groove bits. I just ordered from the Drillman other bits but he does not have any V groove bits..

Lou
    Their saw blades were fine, but nothing special. I've been using Freud Diablo sawblades almost exclusively as of late. Oldham has been around for a long time.

As for their bits... I believe they have yellow coatings? I might have had a few, nothing special, though serviceable. Many typical v-bits do not come to a perfect point, which can be a hassle for v-carving.

Downloads
    Uploads

Their saw blades were fine, but nothing special. I've been using Freud Diablo sawblades almost exclusively as of late. Oldham has been around for a long time.

As for their bits... I believe they have yellow coatings? I might have had a few, nothing special, though serviceable. Many typical v-bits do not come to a perfect point, which can be a hassle for v-carving.
    Louie I have been just using whiteside and Craftsman they are good bits maybe I should just stick to what I know..

Lou

Last edited by LouF; 06-04-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Louie I have been just using whiteside and Craftsman they are food bits maybe I should just stick to what I know..

Lou
    I would say Whiteside is far superior to Oldham bits, from the few I've handled. Whiteside also makes CNC-specific bits as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Louie I did not know they made some for CNC my Machine is a Fine Line -100 wit h ahitachi router m12v2..

Lou

Downloads
    Uploads

I would say Whiteside is far superior to Oldham bits, from the few I've handled.
    I'll second that. Oldham is what I'd consider a middle tier product. Not good, not bad, just average. I'd spend a few more dollars for better quality.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Does anyone have a source for these in .25" shank, 45 degree and 30 degree?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router Bits and EndMills: Pictures, Descriptions, and Uses-60_degree_vbit-jpg  
    Thank You.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Drools View Post
    Check out kodiakcuttingtools.com... drill-mills with 90deg and 60deg tips...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Drools View Post
    BARGAIN BIN, NEW CARBIDE PCB DRILLS items in CARBIDE PLUS store on eBay!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

was going to call onsrud in morning to order few bits ... thanks to this thread, i went to ebay and bought three bits from there and saved lot of money compared to retail price. beside saving money, i think i am bit more educated on bits compared to few hours ago. i will be needing more bits, do onsrud put bits on ebay very often?

for engraving, i was thinking about Amano InGrove kit and am glad you mentioned this. i also saw that you mentioned 90 degree and 60 degree vbits in previous messages. is my understanding that vbits and ingrove kit is used for same purpose correct? if yes, then which route you will advise to a newbie. another cheaper route may be to follow recent posts and get angle carbide bits from drillman. i will prefer to take this route initially. for 4-5 dollars a bit, i can just take 90, 60 and 30 degree bits instead of spending 150+ for InGrove kit. shank size is small on drillman bits and somebody advised me not to take anything smaller then 1/2 inch. good to have options but sometime options do make me confused.

i want to buy other bits from onsrud listed on ebay but shank size is less then 1/2 inch. guess shank size is important for rigidity. what difference it make go from 1/2 to 1/4 shank size?

thanks for the help.

Edit: I called toolstoday.com and got more information about amana ingroove system. i think in my situation as i am learning more, i can get started with 8 piece ingoove system (one holder and seven bits). please ignore question about engraving tools in my post. Regards

I have the Amana InGroove kit, which has also 30 degree V-bits, which would be even better.

I can't remember who made them, but I used to have an underscore attachment for my tablesaw; basically it's a small blade in front of the main blade that cuts in reverse a shallow groove. The blade has a very shallow bevel, ehich prevents chipout on the back side. Great for melamine and plywood, especially red oak ply. I still have the blades in my pile-o-saw blades....

Rich, I use the 60 and 30 degree mainly for v-carving fine-line text and script; works great with MDF core melamine and prefinished MDG core plywood.

Last edited by azam1959; 07-09-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by azam1959 View Post
    was going to call onsrud in morning to order few bits ... thanks to this thread, i went to ebay and bought three bits from there and saved lot of money compared to retail price. beside saving money, i think i am bit more educated on bits compared to few hours ago. i will be needing more bits, do onsrud put bits on ebay very often?

for engraving, i was thinking about Amano InGrove kit and am glad you mentioned this. i also saw that you mentioned 90 degree and 60 degree vbits in previous messages. is my understanding that vbits and ingrove kit is used for same purpose correct? if yes, then which route you will advise to a newbie. another cheaper route may be to follow recent posts and get angle carbide bits from drillman. i will prefer to take this route initially. for 4-5 dollars a bit, i can just take 90, 60 and 30 degree bits instead of spending 150+ for InGrove kit. shank size is small on drillman bits and somebody advised me not to take anything smaller then 1/2 inch. good to have options but sometime options do make me confused.

i want to buy other bits from onsrud listed on ebay but shank size is less then 1/2 inch. guess shank size is important for rigidity. what difference it make go from 1/2 to 1/4 shank size?

thanks for the help.

Edit: I called toolstoday.com and got more information about amana ingroove system. i think in my situation as i am learning more, i can get started with 8 piece ingoove system (one holder and seven bits). please ignore question about engraving tools in my post. Regards
    I use many Onsrud bits and they are top quality, even the ones they discount on eBay. Their customer support had been excellent, and their tooling second to none. They list frequently, though you may not always find the sizes you need.

I prefer the InGroove bits to the regular solid carbide ones, but that is my preference. It makes it easy if you're using different bits on the same job as you only need to "zero out" once. And supposedly, since the bits are separate they can use a harder grade of carbide than if it were brazed on. I do find they stay sharp longer, especially on melamine and composites... If you don't need the other tips it might be cheaper to just buy the shank and the tips you need. I have the 1/2" model, but I'm sure the 1/4" os just as good.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks.

For the InGroove, where can one find the feed and speed values. I do have GWizard, will it help?

I also called Onsrud tech support to make sure that bits I am buying on ebay are not fake (I could not find the series/model number of ebay advertised bit on Onsrud web site). I do agree about your comment on tech support, I got all the time I needed. Tech support told me that series number for custom made bits are not necessarily in their catalog. He also mentioned that ebay bits are not inferior then retail bit on their web site and reason for discount is that sometime customers do not pick all the special order bits.

I end up buying following Onsrud bits and spend way less then my budget. I also lost a bid for 7 titanium nitrate coated bits for metal work and kicking my back for not paying attention. Oh well, I am sure there will be more bids in the future. This will get me going on router table but I have to keep an eye open for mill and lathe bits.

57-270 Onsrud 7/32" Solid Carbide Double Edge Downcut Spiral Wood Rout
    81-103 Onsrud 5/16" Double Flute Solid Carbide Upcut Lo Helix Extrusion Bits
    69-026 Onsrud 1/4" Solid Carbide Double Edge Downcut Router Bit *
    69-029 Onsrud 3/8" Solid Carbide Double Edge Upcut Router Bit For Wood
    69-075 Onsrud 3/8" Double Edge Solid Carbide Upcut Chipbreaker Finisher Bit
    Onsrud PCL37994 1/2" Solid Carbide Double Edge Upcut Wood Router Bits
    69-059 Onsrud 3/4" Triple Edge Solid Carbide Upcut Chipbreaker Finisher Bit
    44-03 Onsrud 1/4" Carbide Tipped Classical Pattern Router Bit
    41-01 Onsrud 1" Double Edge Carbide Tipped Cove Router Bit
    28-62 9/16" Onsrud Carbide Tipped Pattern Router Bit
    43-02 Onsrud 1 1/2" Carbide Tipped Roman Ogee Router Bit
    41-02 Onsrud 1" Double Edge Carbide Tipped Cove Router Bit
    Amana engraving tool bit set

I am totally green but trying my best to do the research before asking. Hope folks will not mind if I ask few more basic questions in the future.

Regards,

I use many Onsrud bits and they are top quality, even the ones they discount on eBay. Their customer support had been excellent, and their tooling second to none. They list frequently, though you may not always find the sizes you need.

I prefer the InGroove bits to the regular solid carbide ones, but that is my preference. It makes it easy if you're using different bits on the same job as you only need to "zero out" once. And supposedly, since the bits are separate they can use a harder grade of carbide than if it were brazed on. I do find they stay sharp longer, especially on melamine and composites... If you don't need the other tips it might be cheaper to just buy the shank and the tips you need. I have the 1/2" model, but I'm sure the 1/4" os just as good.

Downloads
    Uploads

A quick question, I purchased a few EMs from Kodiak all look quite nice but my question is about the 4 flute 60 degree Drill Mill. The first .1" of the bit has 2 flutes with the extra 2 flutes show up after .1". The flutes on the first .1" look fragile and I'm not sure I what DOC I should be using with this bit.
    The picture of the bit does not show what I'm talking about however if you were to rotate the bit 180 degrees you would see the first 2 flutes.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router Bits and EndMills: Pictures, Descriptions, and Uses-kodiak_4f_60_degree-jpg  
    Thank You.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast