New Machine Build CNC2012

Thread: CNC2012

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC2012

Hi,
    First post on this forum, hoping it is not in the wrong spot (there are so many sub forums)
    Have been wanting to build a CNC for some time, I made a drawing some time back before deciding it was to light weight and would have not held up to well against gravity.

So I have redesigned

Made from 14mm Aluminium plate
    30 x 60 Extrusion
    THK rail for the X
    16mm rail for the Y
    12mm rail for the Z

RM1605 all round
    BK/BF supports

Cutting area
    Approximately 100 x 450 x 500mm

Not sure of electronics as of yet.

Wanting to machine timber, plastics and aluminium, as well as engrave some other metals.
    This may be a slow build.

If any one has something to say about the design of the machine please feel free to let me no.

This is also mirrored on the WWF.

Thanks Ben

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC2012-cnc2012aaaa-jpg   CNC2012-cnc2012aaab-jpg   CNC2012-cnc2012aaac-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

welcome

on your gantry uprights, I wouldn't square it off and then go up for the Y-Axis. I'd angle it all the way to the top, or at the very least round the inside corner there. Anywhere you have an inside corner like that will be a weak spot giving it a single point where it will crack. Making it a circle, gives the corner more surface and less chances to form a crack.

For the electronics, as most here will tell you, for a small machine build like that where your motors won't be too big (amp hungry), buy a GeckoDrive G540. It's got all your drivers in a simple box. Just buy a powersupply, the software and motors and you're good to go.