G540 and Mach3 set up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G540 and Mach3 set up

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G540 and Mach3 set up

I have been reading a few post that advise the following -

Make sure 'Step Pulse Width' is set to '2uS' in Mach3 'Motor Tuning'.

I am currently running gecko G540 and mach3

I have tried changing my step pulse width to 2uS but find it will not stay on 2uS. It always changes back to 1uS. I have tried setting it to 3uS and it allows and holds this setting. Not sure why it will not except 2uS. Is it important to have it on 2uS?

Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I believe that a step pulse width of 2 us is the minimum value, so a longer value should be OK.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

what actually step pulse width use for?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you hitting the save settings button before you move on to the next axis?

You need to save the settings every time you change them. You can not just move on to the next axis and change settings on that one or it will revert back to what it was before you changed it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have saved settings after adjusting. It seems to only like to keep 1us and 3us as prefered final setting.
    I am also experiencing a problem with the Y - axis stepper randomly jolting when in standby. I can feel it jumping/jolting when i place my hand on stepper. Not sure what is causing this.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have mine set at 2..

Lou

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/140832-cnc-software.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think i am going to have to settle on 3uS as it will not except 2uS for some reason. Now to work out why one of my steppers twiches in standby.
    I am going to plug it into another axis to see if it does the same thing.
    Hoping to sort out all the bugs in this system as i will be building a duplicate of my electronic set up for my Raptor from Xzero, when it finally ships??????

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's odd that you can not change those settings. I think I would try to re install mach3 and see if that works.

On the motor problem in the y axis. It could be you need to go through some other things in Mach3 and your gecko g540.

Here are some links to things to try.

http://www.machsupport.com/downloads...timization.txt

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/gecko_...hen_do_we.html

Also if you are running a laptop computer you will find that some laptops just do not work that good with mach3.

Downloads
    Uploads

I never messed with mine and it is set at 2 I guess the file I loaded it to Mach3 that I downloaded from the Gecko site to care of it..

Lou

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/140832-cnc-software.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks all for your help. I changed the step pulse to 0 and it has stopped the twitching.
    I have also noticed after changing from Xylotex to G540 that all my previous saved gcodes are cutting on the wrong side of the x-axis. What is happening now is my gcodes that had something designed on the right hand side of job are being cut on the left side? Not sure how or if i have to reverse X-axis.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like you got it now? If not load up this Xml into mach. Follow the instructions

Support

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I re installed Mach3 and XML file and it now allows 2uS and no more motor twitching
    I have noticed my when cutting circles they are coming out not perfectly round. I am sure this has to do with step set up in motor tuning.
    I have got 5/8 thompson ball screws with .200 pitch. Motors are nema 23 1.8 degree and control is g540
    How to i work out the correct steps in mm? At the moment i am on 393.7
    Also any advice on why my previous saved cutting files are now being cut in reverse after changing from Xylotex to G540? What used to be cut on the left side of job is now on the right - X axis

Last edited by chiefcnc; 03-12-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by chiefcnc View Post
    I re installed Mach3 and XML file and it now allows 2uS and no more motor twitching
    I have noticed my when cutting circles they are coming out not perfectly round. I am sure this has to do with step set up in motor tuning.
    I have got 5/8 thompson ball screws with .200 pitch. Motors are nema 23 1.8 degree and control is g540
    How to i work out the correct steps in mm? At the moment i am on 393.7
    Also any advice on why my previous saved cutting files are now being cut in reverse after changing from Xylotex to G540? What used to be cut on the left side of job is now on the right - X axis

You can try this calculator Login

The easy thing is to calibrate the axis using mach 3.

Does your axis jog backwards from the way it did?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the calculator.
    I think it might have jogged in different direction with Xylotex using keboard arrows. At the moment when i press right arrow it jogs right along x- axis, left arrow it jogs left along x axis.
    It just that my coral drawings are coming out with finsished cut on the wrong side along X-axis.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have recently purchased a electronic tool height setter and would like to set all this up through mach3 and G540. Any links or steps on how this is done? It would be nice to have this set up with auto zero in mach3 so i dont have to use paper to guage height.
    Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is the electronic height z axis setting guage i purchased. It has a led light that comes on when the z axis makes contact with guage. At the moment i have attached a wire to guage and to spindle to activate the led light when i manually use the z axis. I am wanting to have this wired into the g540 and have it on the jig on cnc table so we can auto zero new end mill? I am not sure what pin to use on the g540 and have also noticed in other post that i would have to write a script in mach3?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G540 and Mach3 set up-electronic-height-guage-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Gerrys 2010 screenset should do the trick and its well worth the few dollars he asks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There are 4 inputs on the g540. It's terminals 1-4 pick one of them. if you have more then 4 inputs you may have to classify one switch to a home switch instead of a limit switch but you can also input all your limit switches on 1 pin as well being mach 3 knows what axis its jogging while homing.

On the bottom of this page it show's the corresponding parallel pin numbering to the 12 pin on the G540 to set up the correct pin in mach 3. http://www.geckodrive.com/ark-2/supp...?pid=91&id=102

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is how I have mine setup looks like a may be out of input terminals how would you change it to allow a touch plate hook up?

Lou

Downloads
    Uploads

I use soft limits instead of hard wired XYZ limit switches and use pin 4 as probe input. Pins 123 are used just like you have them wired. I may be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am but I think your only other choice is using a second printer port.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast