Check out my 2nd cnc - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Check out my 2nd cnc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bg_blea View Post
    Few things about Bosch Colt...
    I ran the machine some time ago and I noticed the collet nut getting very hot. Ran it for 15 minutes at 35k RPM. After that I ran the thing with no load and again it was getting hot within couple of minutes. Damn.
    - the bearing reads: 6002RS B21-17 Outdo. Guess the 'Outdo' is some manufacturer, no clue what 'B21-17' is, but 6002RS gives the spec to find the bearing. Looked that up on VXB and what I found is rated for 15K RPM. Maybe this one is specially made for Bosch and has different specs but otherwise scarry to think a 15K bearing running at 35k RPM.
    I went through roughly the same thing with my P/C 892, although it has a larger bearing. Unless my google-fu is even weaker than I thought, bottom line is, all of the metal bearings in this general size class are rated for something well under 20KRPM. To get something rated for the full speed of the router, you need to go with a ceramic bearing. (Or do major surgery on the thing, which it sounds like you did.)

This is one of those situations where I'd love to find out I'm wrong.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

kolias can you please post some pictures of the taig spindle with measurements? I would like to reuse the colt mount rather than drill the z axis plate for new support.

Lee DeRaud, there are bearings in this size range that can do that and they are steel. Check out McMaster item 2385K42, rated for 50K RPM and over 1k lb. But you'll be singing 'Can't touch this' for $202 like I did .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lee DeRaud, there are bearings in this size range that can do that and they are steel. Check out McMaster item 2385K42, rated for 50K RPM and over 1k lb. But you'll be singing 'Can't touch this' for $202 like I did .
    While I agree the price is breathtaking (the size I need is $224), those are open bearings, for use where you can easily relube them. It also says those are rated only up to 140F, which really doesn't sound like enough for use inside a router case.

But I was a bit surprised to find a $24 double-shielded steel bearing (M/C 6661K17) that claims to be rated for 24KRPM and 230F. It sure looks like the same thing VXB is selling...didn't even occur to me to check M/C for bearings.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good point. I didn't check the temp spec. Yes they would be destroyed in a router .
    Can you give me alink to MC? I have a vast favorites collection in my browser for all parts CNC but this one doesn't ring a bell.

Tip for diy: you should spend at least 30% of your built time googling parts and prices .

Downloads
    Uploads

kolias can you please post some pictures of the taig spindle with measurements? I would like to reuse the colt mount rather than drill the z axis plate for new support.

My build is described here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open_s...luminum-3.html

If you need more info, let me know

Nicolas

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you give me alink to MC? I have a vast favorites collection in my browser for all parts CNC but this one doesn't ring a bell.
    You've got it already: "M/C" = "McMaster-Carr".

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Lee. I stoped using abbreviations 'cause of the confusions.

kolias... that's a nice machine. It doesn't look like the taig spindle can handle very much. Have you cut 6061? What is your most aggresive cut in 6061?

Downloads
    Uploads

kolias... that's a nice machine. It doesn't look like the taig spindle can handle very much. Have you cut 6061? What is your most aggresive cut in 6061?
    It all depends on what you want to do with your cnc but if you plan to hog material down in one pass, then Taig is not for you and don’t think many spindles can do that anyway

I’m in the testing stage and have not start doing any cutting yet but I intend to cut 6061

Nicolas

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

kolias, post videos your machine in action.
    As far as cutting a lot in pass, well... it's just that more impresive for a diy. Not to mention waiting 10 minutes vs an hour.
    I'm tempted to make a 3rd machine way smaller size but with lots of muscle.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default doctor routerstein and his monster

I did some more surgery on the Bosch Colt to help cool it better.
    Here are some results: (I didn't take enough base measurements)

10 minutes no load:
    wo blower max 34 celcius
    w blower 32 celcius

30 minutes no load
    w blower 33 celcius

At the end I get more chip clereance air flow and after I stop the router the blower can still run to cool it faster. Using a 60CFM 12V blower.

Check the details:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default design of prometheus

Read the disclaimer!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12