CRP 24x48 build/community help thread

Thread: CRP 24x48 build/community help thread

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CRP 24x48 build/community help thread

Hello everyone, I've been lurking here for a long time and finally took the plunge. With Ahren's help at CNC Router Parts, I purchased a 2' x 4' kit (the 4x4 is just too big for the space I have currently available). There have been a few snags along the way, but Ahren has been extremely helpful in getting everything worked out. I would highly recommend purchasing from him if you are on the fence. Before making my purchase, I was most concerned about buying from a business that would be responsive and help me along the way....because I knew I'd need help. I know that I made the right choice now.

I will be including a build log to hopefully help people in the future....and hopefully have the community help me, because truth be told, assembling this sort of machine doesn't come natural to me. I will include as many pictures as I can along the way.

Here's an image of all of the various components:

And here's picture of the rough layout of the machine:

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Base Assembly

Let me preface this by saying a I'm a perfectionist....this can be both a blessing and a curse, but I'm hoping some of the more experienced builders here can tell me when I'm going a bit overboard or when my pursuit of perfection really is justified.

I started assembling the base. Should be pretty simple right? Well my pursuit of perfection doesn't agree with me.

Alright here are my objectives:

I need to make the cross members square in these two ways:

And also I need the height of all the cross members to be equal so that the mdf spoil board will sit flat across all pieces:

I assume there can be a little bit of error here since the spoilboard will ultimately be resurfaced..but having these pieces significantly off wouldn't be a good thing.

Now for this kit Ahren has opted to forgo using the 90 degree brackets that are in the e-drawings on their website in favor of directly attaching the ends of the cross members to the slots in the extrusion. This is accomplished by drilling access holes in the x-axis extrusions. My pictures will do a better job explaining:

With the button head cap screws on the ends of the cross members:

Now as far as stability of attachment, this seems to be perfectly strong enough to hold the base together....but I do find it a bit cumbersome to perfectly align things this way. I'm not sure if having the 90 degree brackets would alleviate some of my headaches or not. Next post I'll go into the issues I'm having.

Last edited by yackback; 01-15-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Base Assembly continued

Now when attaching the cross members in this way, even though I can line them up with the holes that have been drilled, it's still possible to get a bit of play in how the pieces are aligned. The following pictures are over exaggerated but meant to show what I'm referring to:

Straight:

Play Left:

Play Right:

Now to alleviate this problem, I grabbed a square:

I do believe this should ultimately solve that problem, but when going to tighten things up with the small Hex key I have on hand, the tighter things get, the more of a tendency the cross members have to twist with the screw and end up not being square after they are tight. I'm going to pickup some T-Handle hex keys and I hope that this will provide some extra torque in fastening these....and perhaps that make keeping the cross members straight a little easier.

Now the other dilemma is getting things square on the other axis. I was able to get one cross member fastened tight then checked how square it was in the other direction....and it wasn't perfect:

Notice some space in the first picture and how I use my finger to rock the square in the second picture. I'm not sure if the 90 degree brackets would fix this or if I really need to shim. Or for that matter I'm not sure if I really need to be all that worried about those being perfectly square. Perhaps I'm wasting my time because the x-axis rails are what I'll really need to ultimately adjust. Those familiar with these kits would be more capable of helping me with that decision.

Downloads
    Uploads

To keep it from twisting, I'd clamp it tightly together before tightening the bolts.

As for the outer square, try shimming it with sheets of paper. If it's not too thick, try cutting shims from an aluminum can.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    To keep it from twisting, I'd clamp it tightly together before tightening the bolts.

As for the outer square, try shimming it with sheets of paper. If it's not too thick, try cutting shims from an aluminum can.
    Thank you for the response Gerry! What sort of clamp would you recommend using? A lengthy one that can apply pressure to each of the x-axis extrusions?

I do have some brass shims that I purchased for setting up my jointer a while ago. So I'll look into using those.

Downloads
    Uploads

Any type of woodworking clamp that's long enough, but it looks like you'd need one about 5ft or more?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you mean clamping like this:

Then fortunately I really only have to have a clamp that goes a bit past 33 inches. That shouldn't be too hard to find.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would suggest making a clamping plate from scrap 3/4" MDF or plywood that is sized to fit the cross member extrusion with a slip fit notch. Clamp the plate to the side extrusion on one or both sides of the notch. If you want it to self square with the side rail, glue a piece of MDF to the top edge of the plate (full width) so that it rests on the top of the side rail to hold the cross member at 90 degrees. You can still get to the screws to tighten them.

CarveOne

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CRP 24x48 build/community help thread-extrusion-clamp-plate-jpg  
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Genius! I'm going to give that a shot. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    I would suggest making a clamping plate from scrap 3/4" MDF or plywood that is sized to fit the cross member extrusion with a slip fit notch. Clamp the plate to the side extrusion on one or both sides of the notch. If you want it to self square with the side rail, glue a piece of MDF to the top edge of the plate (full width) so that it rests on the top of the side rail to hold the cross member at 90 degrees. You can still get to the screws to tighten them.

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

If you think the MDF is not strong enough, glue two plates together before cutting it. This can be cut on a band saw, or with a hand saw if you are careful to make straight cuts at 90 degrees.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You may want to add the metal clip 8020 sells. It prevents some of the rotation and distributes out the clamping force.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8020-T-Slot-...item562ee87dd8

Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure this amount of out-of-square will matter in the end, as the rails have much more adjustment than this. However, we are planning on going to another angle bracket instead of the triangular gussets (easier to get a wrench on the nuts) and forgoing the cross holes to make it faster for us to produce custom kits like this. Justen, I'll get some of these out to you along with the fasteners -- we should have our stock in at the end of the week.

Ahren
    CNCRouterParts

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

And again folks, Ahren comes through with keeping his customers happy. It's definitely worth expressing that this isn't the first time Ahren has helped me out either.

As much as I like CarveOne's method for squaring things up, I'm probably going to wait for the angle brackets from Ahren before I move forward. I've done a pretty good job of getting things square in the axis that I was having trouble with twisting by using a clamp and my square. However, I determined I'd probably need to use shims to get things perfectly square on the other axis, but as Ahren pointed out, that might not even be all that important. I'll see how well the brackets help and move forward from there.

It will be nice once I move past assembling the base.....which is probably one of the easiest parts of assembling one of these machines, haha.

Downloads
    Uploads

The clamps I drew up for you won't do anything for making the corners 90 degrees. It will only help hold the cross members perpendicular to the rails and keep the cross member from moving while tightening the screws. I was assuming that there are bolts going through the side beam into the ends of the cross members. That may not be your case?

Ahren will fix you up. Waiting for the parts will be worth it.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well folks, I guess I'm overdue for an update. The angle brackets came in from Ahren.....quite a while ago actually, but I've had a lot on my plate and only recently did I get things adjusted to my liking.

Things still aren't exactly aerospace tolerances, but I think I just need to come to the realization that they probably never will be. I used the angle brackets to get things as square as I could across the bed:

And then after quite a bit of adjustments (a few of which involved a rubber hammer) I was able to, with a help of a few friends, get all of the cross members even enough with each other that when I lay a steel bar across them, it no longer rocks back and forth. We also put the legs on:

If after I get things up and running I find that the legs need reinforcement, the plan is to run some steel bars across them.

Per the recommendations of Tool Designer and his own build thread here, I started using some fine abrasive to get any rust/dirt/scale off of the steel rails for the x-axis. Being somebody who has very little experience working with steel....I'm glad I came across this recommendation, because one can feel the difference it makes in friction just by gliding a finger over the rails. I had no idea that the rails originally had so much build up. Here's some pictures to illustrate the before and after.

Before:

Notice the contrast after just a bit of work:

And After:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now unfortunately I've run into another problem and I'm not entirely certain how I'm going to solve it yet.

I don't have pictures to illustrate this, but when trying to use the rack clamps to attach the x-axis racks, I'm unable to get them to fit into the center slot of the extrusion.

I'm able to get the racks to fit just fine in the top slot and the bottom slot....but no dice on the slot that I actually need to use. I'm assuming this must have to do with the the fastening forces that are at play now that the cross members are attached. That said...after all the time I've spent getting things to this point, I really have no intention of disassembling things to try to see if that helps.

Has anyone encountered this sort of thing and/or have any ideas on how to combat it?

The center t-slot on the long x-axis extrusions must be being squeezed slightly smaller somehow.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My clamps were a tight fit as well and about half of them I had to use the bolts to get them down in the slots. Worse case take a file to them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vtx1029 View Post
    My clamps were a tight fit as well and about half of them I had to use the bolts to get them down in the slots. Worse case take a file to them.
    Thanks for the response.

I seriously might have to take a file to them...it's just a bit upsetting to have to do that when they fit in the other slots exactly as they should. I was hoping fastening the bolts might do the trick, but I can't get them in the slots enough to have the nut catch the end of the bolt. I even took a hammer to one of them to try to jam in it and it just scratched up the extrusion pretty bad.

Does anyone know of any sort of spreader that could be used to slightly widen a t-slot long enough to get my rack clamps in?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try pounding some wood shims in sideways. It may work.