New Machine Build LVL or Steel base?? - Page 7

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: LVL or Steel base??

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: LVL or Steel base??

I started with a piece of 3" x 8" x .75" aluminum plate. Layed out all the holes, drilled, tapped, etc. Cut on the bandsaw, was like cutting butter.

My only issue is getting the holes in exactly the correct location. I'm always off just a little bit which I have to compensate for by drilling the holes slightly over sized.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jsantos View Post
    As for bumpers, I had bumpers in my old machine and in the four years I was using it, not once have I hit the bumpers. The soft limits always stop the machine and if it so happened that I had the soft limits turned off, the limit sensors stopped it.
    True thats what limit and home switches are for. The bumpers are there for when all other means of control fail, to keep your machine from flinging part of itself on the garage floor. The CRP machines could concevable, without bumpstops, throw the entire gantry off the rails and onto the floor. Assuming some very catastrophic failure in the electronics/program being run on the machine.

Bob your machine is looking great, and oversize holes are not compensation. Those are an adjustment "feature"

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, I hate to have that gantry come flying off after a 12' run down the Y axis.

Those are an adjustment "feature"
    Yeah, I can live with that description!

Downloads
    Uploads

I spent a couple hours with Joe yesterday. Looked over his machine, amazing piece of work. We dug through his parts box and he was gracious enough to provide me with parts that will get me very close to getting my router up and running!

He's even machining a few extra gear rack clamps for me on his monster Lagun mill.

Thanks again Joe!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Joe is a great person! He helped me cut some sides for my old Microcarve machine.

My CRP 48 x 48 build [URL=]http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open_source_cnc_machine_designs/144173-crp_4x4.html[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vtx1029 View Post
    Joe is a great person!
    He certainly is!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nlancaster View Post
    True thats what limit and home switches are for. The bumpers are there for when all other means of control fail, to keep your machine from flinging part of itself on the garage floor. The CRP machines could concevable, without bumpstops, throw the entire gantry off the rails and onto the floor. Assuming some very catastrophic failure in the electronics/program being run on the machine.

Bob your machine is looking great, and oversize holes are not compensation. Those are an adjustment "feature"
    Bumpers are a good idea, better to hit a "soft" hard stop than a brick wall stop. That being said the worst run a ways I've seen are with servo based systems, these can be hair raising. Better drives and better controllers these days though limit servo run away to extreme cases. I've seen a servo run away on an old CNC break off part of a casting that was over an inch thick with a relatively small servo motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm running into a problem wiring the G540 that I got from Joe. I've got it wired as I believe it should be. +48v to pin 11, common to pin 12. I don't have the jumper between 10 & 12. Should at least power on and give me a fault.

But it doesn't power on at all.

LVL or Steel base??-20140822_175702-small-jpgLVL or Steel base??-20140822_175635-small-jpg

I've measured +48v at the power supply and the G540.

I've checked the Gecko site and its a possible blown fuse. Joe said it was working when he powered it down. There are instructions regarding checking the fuse, but I don't see any way to remove the cover as they indicate. Gecko manual

Any ideas????

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bobmagnuson View Post
    I'm running into a problem wiring the G540 that I got from Joe. I've got it wired as I believe it should be. +48v to pin 11, common to pin 12. I don't have the jumper between 10 & 12. Should at least power on and give me a fault.

But it doesn't power on at all.

LVL or Steel base??-20140822_175702-small-jpgLVL or Steel base??-20140822_175635-small-jpg

I've measured +48v at the power supply and the G540.

I've checked the Gecko site and its a possible blown fuse. Joe said it was working when he powered it down. There are instructions regarding checking the fuse, but I don't see any way to remove the cover as they indicate. Gecko manual

Any ideas????
    Well, I managed to get the case open, pretty easy actually. There is a small fuse that appears to be blown as the manual suggested. $.70 part. I think I'll get a few just in case!

Downloads
    Uploads

Received the new fuses and that fixed the problem. Then realized I didn't have a male/male DB25 cable. Whoops. Got a cheap one tonight but you get what you pay for. Didn't work. So a new one is on order.

Hopefully I'll have movement this weekend!

Downloads
    Uploads

After a few missteps I've got it up and running. Or at least it jogs. This video is 600ipm. I've had it as high as 1400, smooth as butter.

I've still got to finish the table, install the limit switches and get dust collection hooked up.

Oh yeah.. And actually cut something.

Downloads
    Uploads

Bravo Bob! It is good to see it coming to life. It is a wonderful looking build; odd, you don't look at all the way I imagined ...

Paul Rowntree
    Vectric Gadgets, WarpDriver, StandingWave and Topo available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Paul! You know what they say about the camera adding 20 lbs. And changing gender, age, height. ;-)

Right now I've got 3/4 particle board screwed down for the table. I'd like to add a layer of 3/4 mdf and then a ldf spoilboard. The spoilboard will be screwed down with nylon screws. Anyone have suggestions how to attach the mdf? Glue, screws, bubble gum?

Downloads
    Uploads

Slowly making progress.

Working on the table, limits, dust collection, auto Z, etc.

Milled the dust shoe yesterday. Had a little excitement about 2/3's of the way through. But I was able to restart and finish routing without any major problems. The edge finish leaves a little to be desired, but it'll work!

Downloads
    Uploads

You just ran into one of the first problems I did when learning to use my router. Pocket first, then profile cut

And as far as edge finish in acrylic. something I have been doing that helps alot, Pledge spray on furniture wax. Keeps the acrylic from stick to itself and the bit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep! It's all new and a learning experience!

Downloads
    Uploads

The video stopped at the best part!!

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

There wasn't anything else to see, just the camera going nuts while I panicked, scrambling for the e-stop!

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm having a problem getting Mach3 to recognize my limit/home switches. I'm using a hall effect sensor, powered by 24vdc.

I have Mach 3 setup to use pin 11 as the Y+, Y- and Y home. Set to Active Low as well. And I've verified that I've got the input wire going into the correct G540 'port'.

When the sensors are not triggered, I read approx. 22vdc output. When they are triggered, that voltage drops to 1vdc.

At no point does Mach 3 register that change in voltage. What am I doing wrong???

EDIT...

I realized that I should not be reading ANY voltage when the sensors are not triggered. I'm going to have to revisit what I did with the multi-meter to get that reading. And perhaps the wiring, but that is pretty simple.

Last edited by bobmagnuson; 09-17-2014 at 10:55 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Check in Mach 3 under the Homing and limits section to see if you have the switches set to "active low" if the voltage is dropping to 1VDC from 22-24VDC instead of playin with any more wiring you can just change this option as a quick "test" to see if Mach will recognize it.

LVL or Steel base??-e-stop-jpg

If that does not work I would check the wiring to see if something is swapped....

I ran into this problem with my 6-30VDC Proximity sensors.
    Good Luck, and Great work!

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast