Hey... I got some servos.... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey... I got some servos....

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not sure that the Geckos really care how the encoder pulses are generated, just as long as it gets them. Won't know for sure until I (A) try it or (B) Ask the guys at Gecko....

Nathan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For a cheapish manual router speed control maybe look at;
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43584

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

CAMmando: sounds like you might have a "Variac". As I understand it, "router speed controls" only work for universal motors (like in a router), whereas a variac would work for an induction motor.

/me returns to lurking.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kong

I was wondering whether you'd decided on some encoders and drivers for the servos. I plan on using geckos and those hp encoders from farnell i mentioned but am in the process of moving house at the moment so my cnc build has had to be shelved for the next couple of weeks. Let me know when you get the motors fired up - I'm curious what kind of performance we're likely to get out of them! Happy tinkering.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Damn it, I just got in from work and thers a little note through the door to say i missed the delivery man and he'll be back tomorrow! I have however picked up a nice 24v 25Amp PSU on ebay for £30 to drive them, and i will be using geckos, but can't afford them yet. As for the encoders, I'm waiting to see if the ones Anoel bought on ebay are gonna be ok, coz there are some more there. If not, I posted a link to an ebay auction further up this thread for 4 optical encoders for $25 + p&p which I shall probably go with. They are 200 cpr i think, and 5v, digital quad out, so just right for the geckos. There are more on ebay if you hunt around. i have still got to get my linear bearing shaft, and ballscrews yet, so I'm a long way behind you in the building stages - I'm aiming for christmas to be honest. Just found a lovely scrap yard in Southampton, lots of practically new 12mm aluminium plate for £2/Kg. I bought a load last week, and will get the rest shortly. If you have started building, it would be nice to get a new thread on the go!

Downloads
    Uploads

Kong, I got those little motors the other day. Of course they are too small to use.

But I did pop open the encoder on one of them and it looks to be a nice precision encoder. The wheel is laser cut and looks to be a standard mounting. My Geckos have shipped and I should get them in the next day or two. I'll have to whip up a little breadboard circuit to get step/dir form the computer and wire up a test to see if those encoders will work out. The shaft mount for the encoder wheel is a press fit bronze bushing. so I think I can bore it out to fit a larger shaft without too much problem.

Again I just bought these incase I ran across a good deal on motors that did not have encoders already. If I don't get to use them I'm not out any real money.

I'll report back on them when I'm able to test them.

Nathan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12