SHOW YOUR DUST BOOT/PICK-UP SHOE... - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: SHOW YOUR DUST BOOT/PICK-UP SHOE...

Default Re: SHOW YOUR DUST BOOT/PICK-UP SHOE...

Is your shoe designed to fit any particular spindle?

Quote Originally Posted by whimsical View Post
    just need to print it out now
    Hopefully it will work.
    The brush will be little clumps of brush removed from a banister brush and inserted into holes drilled

Last edited by fretman_2; 02-02-2017 at 11:04 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

sorry i forgot that bit
    I made to fit the 80mm 24k spindles
    I think it is a bit too tall so it will get shortened and also the suck tube will get an elbow so it points up i think.
    Maybe have to make it start smaller to fit the skirt then expand out to fit the vacuume. its all good fun hahahahaha

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all,

I have just completed the second version of my dusts boot.

The first version was supported from behind (see first picture), after I raised the spindle to get more Z height it conflicted with the Z carriage.
    For clearness the dust boot is supported by the X axis.

The support for the new version had to go through the spindle brackets, the height is adjustable from the top.

For easy access the front of the dust boot slides over two pins and is being held in place with four neodidly magnets (AVE).

From now on changing bits and setting Z height will be a lot easier.

Kind regards,

Rob.

P.S.
    Do you think its time for a new spoilboard ?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SHOW YOUR DUST BOOT/PICK-UP SHOE...-img_4798-jpg   SHOW YOUR DUST BOOT/PICK-UP SHOE...-img_4804-jpg   SHOW YOUR DUST BOOT/PICK-UP SHOE...-img_4805-jpg   SHOW YOUR DUST BOOT/PICK-UP SHOE...-img_4806-jpg  

Last edited by R0bbie; 02-06-2017 at 02:16 PM. Reason: I Noticed the state of my spoilboard from the pictures, I did'nt in the workshop :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rob,

Very Nice design. I know you will enjoy using it. Thanks for sharing. Those magnets have given us a lot of options in the world of dust shoes.

John

2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://www.johnsmarinesolutions@gmail.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks great R0bbie! Can I ask what your using for bristles and how you installed them?

Does anyone know if there has ever been some flow testing done on dust shoes that would help when designing to maximize pickup?

I've seen all kinds of designs but it seems that we are all dealing with the same issue as the bit is fixed and we're looking for the most efficient pickup, I would think that would be irrelevant of the duct sizing.

Adam,

G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X/Y axis, 1/2-Ball Screw-Z Axis w/THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, Steppers KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    Hi Rob,

Very Nice design. I know you will enjoy using it. Thanks for sharing. Those magnets have given us a lot of options in the world of dust shoes.

John
    Thanks for your kind words John,
    I have used the booth for the first time today for resurfacing my spoilboard
    Works great, I'm very happy

@ adam_m,

I am from The Netherlands Europe, and over here we don't have mailboxes in front of our house, we just have a slot in the front door with a flap on the outside for the postman to drop our letters in, like this,

SHOW YOUR DUST BOOT/PICK-UP SHOE...-frontdoor-jpg

To keep the cold out you can buy this,

SHOW YOUR DUST BOOT/PICK-UP SHOE...-brievenbus-jpg

You put this on the inside of you frontdoor, but if you take it apart it holds two nice bristles

Regards,

Rob.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Adam,

When I designed my dust shoe I made the bristle circle as small as possible. I also made several bottom plates with different length bristles for different types of work. By making the bristle area smaller it allows you to get closer to the edge of your table without loss of vacuum. Of course, I used magnets to attach the bottom plates. I could be wrong but I think making the actual suction area smaller would make for better vacuum.

I really enjoy these types of threads where we can all share our ideas and concepts.

Thanks again for all you guys sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.

John

2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://www.johnsmarinesolutions@gmail.com

Downloads
    Uploads

That's my thought as well John make the area as small as possible for better suction,

I was milling up some 6061 this weekend and my dust shoe was just a total failure, there's swarf everywhere, I'm still picking it out of my shorts... lol! here's a link to a video I shot. if anyone is interested.

I knew my design wasn't the best and I really appreciate being able to see what's going on under there as I'm still on a learning curve so, I think my next project will be a new shoe design.

I thought since there are many different designs out there I was curious if anyone with more knowledge than I had done some research on how to improve on the basics. I was thinking along the lines of some type venturi design but that would entail a more vertical approach directly over the bit but maybe also some type of tunneling effect would work as well? Senna made a nice looking design with a tunneling effect and a small radius around the bit (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...27975-cnc.html) and I also like Fretman's (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...75-cnc-12.html), its compact, but alas no 3D printer here...

Finding brushes also is an item I've been struggling with. Since most shoes are rounded how are people bending and installing in the their shoes? are people cutting them out of something else? Robbie's are great but his house is going to get cold in the winter... lol!

Adam,

G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X/Y axis, 1/2-Ball Screw-Z Axis w/THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, Steppers KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Adam,

Go to 10:39 on the time line of this video and you will see my dust shoe. It also has information on where I purchased the brushes. I used my Shopbot router to machine a circular groove of the required width so that I could use a screwdriver to press the brush into the groove. I purchased 3 different lengths of brushes and made 3 bottom plates. I have not had any issues with the brushes falling out. I made the plenum chamber by cutting individual pieces of 1/2" plexiglas and stacking them to get the correct height. Then the bottom plate attaches via magnets as shown in the video.

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My supper smooth swinging boot made from old bits (round rail carriage originally off the z, Locks beautifully utilising the oil hole lol doesn't mark the round rail either )

High Density PU foam skirts work very well, Lock a couple of mm of the part, Easy to glue on with PU glue and pull of and stick back on. I got over 9 months out of my last version before I had to stick another on.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SHOW YOUR DUST BOOT/PICK-UP SHOE...-img_0773-1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi! Here is mine design. VCarve and vector files in the description.

Cheers Eric

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678