Vertical Mounted Home CNC

Thread: Vertical Mounted Home CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vertical Mounted Home CNC

I'm thinking of building a vertically mounted CNC and wanted to see what the group thinks of this idea.

I am looking at building a wall mounted (need to save space)cnc with a work envelope of 4' x 4' with 6" of Z. I will be using 80/20 for the frame. Since I'm such a cheap son-of-a-gun I would really like to use roller bearings for the linear guides. I plan on using a max-nc 10 closed loop system (145oz I think) for the drive so I can get a semi-decent feed rate.

This will be a specialty cnc used only for milling 4-6lb polyeurethane foam so it should never encouter very heavy loads.

I just though I would throw this out into the forum since I'm sure someone here has already considered this and thought it through much more than I have.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Im no expert, but your Y axis will be working against Gravity in one dirrection and not the other so (Im assuming the spindle will move relative to the table) the traveling portion needs to be as light as possible. I consider having the Y axis guides mounted away from the table (some sort of frame) and only a crossmember (X axis Guide ) that moves in Y.

What kind of arrangement did you have planned ?

Backlash in Y shouldnt be a problem .

Wee aim to please ... You aim to ... PLEASE.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am considering this for the machine I am building. I want to set it at around a 65 or so degree angle. So far it is sitting flat on my table. Once I get it going, I will prop it up for a few days to see how it works. If it's ok I will build a frame out of 80/20 to hold it there.

The y axis can be counterwieghted to improve the gravity situation.

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah yes. I forgot to say I would like to set up a gantry style to utilize the most space.

Downloads
    Uploads

I scanned the following from the 2002 Demand Hot Wire Systems catalog. I know its a hotwire cutter, but I think it has possiblities. Maybe something similar to this but at an angle like the Camtech Spacesaver or what your doing Balsaman.

I'm not too worried about the y-axis, since I can home at the top, mill my files in the x-axis so the y only has to take one little step at a time and not make the return trip up until the file is complete.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vertical Mounted Home CNC-hotwire-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Can anyone figure out the drive system on the hot wire system? I don't see any of the traditional methods for driving.

www.demandhotwire.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I am building exactly what you are describing ... well actually 2 units simulataniously.

1. is a vertical router (90 deg straight up) x=40" (wide) y=30"(high) .... built!
    z=? and undecided as yet the mechanics. Depends on exactly what I use as a router.
    I will be using this to engrave/route HDFoam urethane and possibly wood blanks for signage.

2. is a hot wire cutter similar to what you posted but closer to the croma machine.
    I'm half way there now
    2' wide x 5' long x 6' tall made from 80/20
    The drive system your asking about is using a teethed belt ... that's why you can't see it on the pics. The belt is running right against the aluminum frame up and over the top by cogged pulley that matches the belt down the other side and around the bottom pulley connected to a drive moter under the carriage. (at least that's the way I'm going. I've never seen one in "person" and just going by ear so to speak.
    Again, this will be cutting foam but the EPS type (expanded polystyrene) for signs.

I've been making foam signs for almost 20 years and just now getting automated. The designs are drawn using signmaking software that I use to cut vinyl on a plotter/cutter.
    Casmate and SignWizard

I'll try to get some progress pics up soon along with details. I'm over half way on both units.

If you have any other questions, I'll try my best to answer.