New Machine Build One thing led to another... - Page 3

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: One thing led to another...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    I like the color on that! I think I might just give that a try; have the stains in my shop. I also like the deeper V-carve; i may do another attempt with the deeper pass.
    Instead of changing my cut file I just Z zeroed a little deeper to save time. I put a piece of 1/4" plywood between the table surface and the MDF so I wouldn't cut the outer profile into the table top (I had eight tabs defined). I think I reset it to zero at about -0.010" from the surface of the MDF.

CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Downloads
    Uploads

BTW, this one is 15" diameter. Also, I used a fine point artist brush to darken the groves. It took a few hours to do that.

Update: 12" not 15" as originally stated.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I think I will make my next one larger as well. For the small one I thought going deep would look a bit cooky.

A trick to keep the stain coats down in MDF is to size it with a mix of thinned white glue. Makes it easier to sand the edges and milled inner surfaces as well.

To insure I got a precise surface to v-carve on, I surfaced the entire piece with a 1" straight bit. When I chucked the V-bit in, I got it hand-tightened snug, but still can pull the bit in and out. I then placed a small block of 1/4" Mic-6 on the surface, and brought the bit down to it. Once I hit the plate with the bit (slowly!), I go down enough for the bit to "push in" the collet. I then zero it out in Mach3, raise the bit and tighten the collet nut. Afer I'll manuall enter a G0Z-.25 and rezero the Z. It's pretty precise for what I do. It doesn't take a lot of force to tighten with with the new collet and nut.

Hopefully, once I get the limit and home switches set, I can set up automated tool setting as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

The white glue may also keep the dark stain from going everywhere I don't it to bleed into. I'll try it next time.

C1

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

Another aluminum test cut. This time it's foe a keychain for my fiance. I'm thinking I could go faster on the feedrate, though I wasn't sure if the end mill could take it. Also I do get a little bit of backlash from the Lovevjoy couplers I used, but overall I'm happy with the results. What I'm not happy with is the cheap Ryobi v-bit I used for the v-carve. It actually does not come to a point, so the v-carve is not perfect. Not bad for MDF, but I need to get a better bit!

This piece is about 3" in diamter...
    Hey Louie, if you have an interest in Celtic Knot designs, I found this site that will make it easier to do custom designs for CNC uses. It may work well for V carving. Scroll all the way down the long page to see some good examples, even aluminum CNC example.

There are lots of sites with information and drawings for ideas.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    Hey Louie, if you have an interest in Celtic Knot designs, I found this site that will make it easier to do custom designs for CNC uses. It may work well for V carving. Scroll all the way down the long page to see some good examples, even aluminum CNC example.

There are lots of sites with information and drawings for ideas.

CarveOne
    That is the coolest thing! Just ordered it! Thanks for the tip, hope to feature some of it soon....

Downloads
    Uploads

That is the coolest thing! Just ordered it! Thanks for the tip, hope to feature some of it soon....
    I didn't order it yet, but will. I wasn't so sure that the filled version was better for CNC than the open version. There is a detailed 10 page document on how to draw the knots manually versus using the fonts.

I didn't have any luck last evening trying to convert one of the graphics to a DXF format with Inkscape. There has to be an easy way but I'm not so adept with this stuff yet. I didn't try loading the image directly into Vcarve Pro so far.

Got any ideas?

CarveOne

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't order it yet, but will. I wasn't so sure that the filled version was better for CNC than the open version. There is a detailed 10 page document on how to draw the knots manually versus using the fonts.

I didn't have any luck last evening trying to convert one of the graphics to a DXF format with Inkscape. There has to be an easy way but I'm not so adept with this stuff yet. I didn't try loading the image directly into Vcarve Pro so far.

Got any ideas?

CarveOne
    I haven't played with it much yet. But it is pretty cool! You could fraw them manually, but since there are about 200 different "symbols" that interconnect this makes it easier...

The fonts are available in VCarve because they're just TTF fonts that install just like any other Windows font. I just have to figure out how to reduce the line spacing in VCarve so that the patterns connect.

I believe you can make the patterns in Microsoft Word and export the image afterwards, but haven't tried it yet....

But yes, the filled version is better than the open version for CNC, because the filled version will give you outlines when you convert to curves and the outline version will givev you an outline and an inlinem though that might be cool to carve as well. Thinking about this, it might be cool to do a "prismatic" raised carve as well, as that would be pretty easy.

BTW $20 for the fonts versus going though 10 pages of instructions.... I'd pay the $20!

Downloads
    Uploads

- snip -

But yes, the filled version is better than the open version for CNC, because the filled version will give you outlines when you convert to curves and the outline version will givev you an outline and an inlinem though that might be cool to carve as well. Thinking about this, it might be cool to do a "prismatic" raised carve as well, as that would be pretty easy.

BTW $20 for the fonts versus going though 10 pages of instructions.... I'd pay the $20!
    Thanks, It's still useful to know how to draw them manually in order to do things that the fonts don't cover. It still doesn't explain how to make those round ones though.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, It's still useful to know how to draw them manually in order to do things that the fonts don't cover. It still doesn't explain how to make those round ones though.

CarveOne
    That's simple too. Just make a chain, and fit the text to an arc!

Downloads
    Uploads

That's simple too. Just make a chain, and fit the text to an arc!
    Sounds good then. Did you order any of the samples? I think I'll order the both the closed and the open fonts.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds good then. Did you order any of the samples? I think I'll order the both the closed and the open fonts.

CarveOne
    I just got the entire package. So it has all three fonts, plus all the sample packs, and the circle pack. This way I have a better idea how the patterns are made and have some fun stuff to try first!

Downloads
    Uploads

I just got the entire package. So it has all three fonts, plus all the sample packs, and the circle pack. This way I have a better idea how the patterns are made and have some fun stuff to try first!

You would.... Now I gotta do it too.

These will be very useful for sign making and all sorts of craft stuff. Show us how to CNC the Electric Knot on this page into brass. Scroll down to find it.

Edit: Waiting on the download (and CD) to arrive.

CarveOne

Last edited by CarveOne; 02-28-2011 at 11:58 AM.
    CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

CarveOne
    I ordered the full thing package, but not the charted and tattoo stuff.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

I ordered the full thing package, but not the charted and tattoo stuff.

CarveOne
    I think it took about 20 minutes for the download email to appear. The amount of patterns one can do is pretty mind-blowing, and the stock design samples look really good as-is.

By the way, have you looked into the precision collets at PreciseBits.com? I cannot believe how much better my router sounds, and the diffence with the insert v-carve bit was very revealing. I never even thought about cleaning my spindle bore, but when I took out swab after swab of rust and junk I became a convert. I think between the new collets, new motor couplings (hopefully soon), cleaning the spindle bore, and soon SuperPID, I feel I have a pretty good setup for what lays ahead.

I actually landed a job for diving helmet stands, with the company logo inlaid in the panels!

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the PB collet nut, collet set, and wrench for my PC7518 router but not the Hitachi yet. I'll get it after getting most of the table saw and dust collector bill paid down. I have a S-PID for both routers.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

The diving helmet stand project sounds cool. Frame the name in Celtic Knots? Resembles ropes and hoses.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

The diving helmet stand project sounds cool. Frame the name in Celtic Knots? Resembles ropes and hoses.

CarveOne
    I thought about that, but since he's Itatian, it may not be a perfect fit... ;-)

Downloads
    Uploads

It may look too much like tangled ropes and hoses too. Not a good reminder I suppose.

I haven't gotten the email yet. Maybe it's taking longer because I used my PlayPal account to pay for it.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

The zip file finally arrived at 3:20pm.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast