Need Help! Bearing or Oilite Bearing

Thread: Bearing or Oilite Bearing

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bearing or Oilite Bearing

Hi again
    The router I am currently planning/building will be rack and pinion, I have attached a picture of how I plan to mount the belt gear reduction together, I plan to use 10 or 12mm aluminium for the sides. My question is can I use these oilite bearings for the drive shaft that transfers power from the belt gear to rack pinion or should I use standard ball/roller bearings?
    If I use the oilite bearings I can make the through holes by simply drilling with the correct size drill bit, I have nothing I can use to drill the larger holes required for ball race bearings
    I see cnc router parts use bushes for his drives ok.
    My machine will not be an everyday production machine so if wear was not an issue I would go the oilite path as I can make it at home.

Another Question when am here, I plan to use a spring to pull the pinion to the rack, also shown in picture, as the bolt through the spring is tightened the force of the pinion against the rack is increased, the spring in actual fact will be pushing against the bolt and its the bolt that will pull the pinion up. Anyway which of these type of springs would you lads recommend?

Enough for now
    Rob

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bearing or Oilite Bearing-pinion-jpg  
    I'll get it finished sometime after I start it.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you feel lucky? Drilling holes to press bushings into is unlikely going to result in a proper fit. You need to drill exactly the right size (usually right on some nominal inch or metric dimension), in order for the bushing (which often comes with the correct amount of oversize allowance) to fit tightly enough so it will not fall out. So drilling about 0.5mm undersize, then reaming to the nominal bushing OD would be a safer strategy.

Other than that, a bushing will run for a while, and may suffice for light usage, and you can always replace when required. They are cheap enough.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exactly what hong kong phooey said but to add.!!. . . Bearings are so cheap anyway why not just do it right the first time.?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hemsworthlad View Post
    Exactly what hong kong phooey said but to add.!!. . . Bearings are so cheap anyway why not just do it right the first time.?
    Yes, I know what you're saying, but I only have a small B&Q drill press so how can I drill a 22mm hole for the bearing to sit into?

I'll get it finished sometime after I start it.....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would drill, then ream the hole to fit the bearing OD. Oilite is great for slow RPMs, steel ball/roller bearings for speed. Since you're not going to run production with this machine, I would use Oilite.

The hole really needs to be reamed, because a drill bit doesn't make a round hole.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you just want to get up and running, then drill the hole and use a flanged oilite bearing.

Once it wears out, you could install a regular flanged pillow bearing.

The later will last longer.
    I did use the oilite on the lazy end of one of my ball screws on my router and it works great there. Non load end.

Lee