Build Thread junkbox 18x7x7 - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: junkbox 18x7x7

Downloads
    Uploads

Well not much progress this week. Got the shim stock and did a final mounting of the X axis. Spent most of today working on the X sensor selection and bracket. Got some of these on the way for the sensors.
    Digi-Key - 480-1941-ND (Manufacturer - HOA2004-001)

They should be here early next week. Will start cutting the bracket out tomorrow to prepare for them.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails junkbox 18x7x7-img_0173-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_0174-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_0175-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's shaping up nicely.

It's going to be an attractive and original machine when finished.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! that's the hope Long as it works when it's done I think I will be happy (until that project that needs just a 1" longer of travel to complete)

Downloads
    Uploads

Well little late but last weekend I got my limit switches for the X axis made up and mounted. Also picked up a old PC from a friend to use as the controller. Good chance this weekend I could get the X axis driver tuned and finish the X assembly.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails junkbox 18x7x7-img_0180-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_0181-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_0183-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_0185-jpg  

junkbox 18x7x7-img_0186-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_0189-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Spent most of this weekend building up a PC for EMC2 and getting the drivers matched to the motors. Since I had everything up and running dragged the cable over into my shop and hooked up the X to see some initial movement.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR8uQhA_15o"]YouTube - Junkbox 18x7x7 first movements[/nomedia]

Next up make the sensor "flags" so I can button up the X axis and start mounting the Y and the table.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails junkbox 18x7x7-img_0207-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_0208-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Forgot to attach the sensor drawing. Left flag is shaped weird due to lead screw nut bearing block is in the way.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails junkbox 18x7x7-x_sensors-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Fought a crashed hard drive most of last weekend so did not make much progress but did get the outline of the sensor flags machined out. Hopefully next weekend I can finish them up and get the final assembly on the X done.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails junkbox 18x7x7-img_0211-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_0213-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow great looking machine! Can’t wait to see how your spindle performs.

Eric

Downloads
    Uploads

Hopefully it will but there is a reason it is the last part I am going to build

But before those issues set in I need to get the X, Y, Z mounted and wired. Then at least I can strap a dremal / rotozip to it and be useful if needed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are those steppers or servos? It was hard to tell.

Eric

Downloads
    Uploads

Standard 125oz-in 1.8 deg steppers (Parker Compumotor brand) I had gotten a matched set of Zeta drivers and motors so going to use those to start with. My experience with the little bit of playing on the X is there is plenty of force and holding torque. (I can lean on it and it still moves back and forth)

Downloads
    Uploads

Got a little more done over the weekend and the X is all buttoned up for now. Currently working on mounting the wire ladder to the bottom of the X to Y adapter plate.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails junkbox 18x7x7-img_0255-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_0256-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_0258-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_0259-jpg  

junkbox 18x7x7-img_0260-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_0261-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Made some more progress the other weekend and got the Y bolted up to the X total skew end to end of the Y was less than a thou so happy about that.

The X is weak side to side. With that big of a table mounted on it turned all the way out there is some obvious tip / rocking on the X slide. Note sure if I can tighten it up or not. But for what I want to do it may not matter.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails junkbox 18x7x7-img_0294-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_0295-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_0299-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_0300-jpg  

junkbox 18x7x7-img_0301-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_0302-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Well winter has returned to MN so time to move back to basement projects.

Started dusting off the CNC mill parts (Drywalled the basement over the summer so there is dust everywhere....) and got some work done on the controller plate and EPO box.

2 SSR are the base of the EPO box. SSR #1 (right) is a 25A unit (fused at 15A) and supply power to the X, Y, Z controllers, duplex outlet (Will plug my motor / extruder power supply in here when I build it), and supplies power to SSR #2. SSR #2 is a 10 A unit (fused at 5A) and just supplies power to the A controller so I can turn off power to it when the A axis is removed. Worst case my controllers will draw 4A but with the stepper motors I have the max draw per the manual is 1.2A so no issue running them all off one power cord.

The big red / black umbilical will get cut down to the last green zip tie (where it first touches the floor) and terminated in a 50 pin D shell to connect to the interface card. For the life of me I cannot find where I put my 50 pin D shells so had to order a new one . So the rat nest will live on for a bit until I get my parts order in.

On the table end of the project I am stuck until I figure out what I am doing with the way covers. Once I have them figured out I can finish mounting the table and Y axis cable tray.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails junkbox 18x7x7-img_1127-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_1138-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_1139-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_1144-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Got a little more done this weekend. DB50 is wired up and the plate is installed in the cabinet. Also picked up some plumbing parts to build my display swing arm for the touch screen.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails junkbox 18x7x7-img_1148-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_1149-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_1150-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Merry Xmas and happy new years!

Well got some work done over break and got my touchscreen and keyboard arm built and mounted. Also hooked up the PC and got VNC and the touchscreen working. Currently running the latency test in EMC2.

Next up need to finish my wiring plan and start work on the breakout card design. Originally was going to run the entire card off the PC power supply. New plan is to run the PC side off the PC power supply then opto-isso the machine side and run off a separate 12V / 5V supply (have a small stash of old wall warts and I know I have a few combo supplies that end in a DIN5 in there I can use) I think I am going to design the logic and buffers to handle a 2MHz max signal rate (max my drivers can take) even though the PC looks to have a 35kHz max step rate...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails junkbox 18x7x7-img_1151-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_1156-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_1159-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_1162-jpg  

junkbox 18x7x7-img_1169-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_1170-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_1171-jpg   junkbox 18x7x7-img_1168-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Some electronics notes...

High speed optos HCPL2631 (dual channel)
    used for the following signals:
    Step, direction, Home X, Y, Z, A, and probe input.

Low speed optos LTV713V (I already have a tube of them sitting around)
    used for the following
    Shutdown (X,Y,Z,A), FLT (XYZ, A), RST, EPO (in/out), A interlock, Limit min(X,Y,Z,A), Limit max(X,Y,Z,A), Vac control, buzzer/indicator, Z collision, Z temp

Others ?? (going to take what ever lines are left over on the 3 pll ports and buffer them as well for future use)

Need to go dig up the Pll port spec and see what massaging I need to do to interface between the optos and the 3.3V ports.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well have the interface card design 95% done. Pinout is listed here
    Junkbox CNC driver harness (google doc)

and logic diagram attached below. Still have not closed on the power supply (on card 5V reg down from 12V for the machine or use one of my combo supplies). Going to build up the interface first and see what the actual current draw is on the machine side 12V and 5V rails.

Well off to check what I have in stock and put in a digikey order for the rest.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails junkbox 18x7x7-junkbox_interface-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm looks like CNCzone converts images... Here is a zip file with the original PNG file. If you open it in a photo viewer you can zoom in and the values and flags are readable.

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default that's coming along...

Hey Wireb- where did you get the touchscreen kit? ebay? how does one select these? e.g., what are the important metrics to review?

thanks
    David

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast