What do you make or plan to make with your cnc router?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you make or plan to make with your cnc router?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question What do you make or plan to make with your cnc router?

Hi, I was thinking it would be interesting to trade ideas on what people are making with their CNC routers. I would love to see photographs of machines in action, and final parts and products.

I don't want this to become a thread on actually building the routers themselves, but rather what kinds of products people are using their machines to manufacture.

Note to moderator: If I've posted this thread in the wrong place, will you please correct the problem?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So far I've made sawdust more than anything. Add to that 2 destroyed router bits as well. But I got this to show for it:

I'm still very new to all this so anything I do is more about learning something (opps.... well, lets not do that again) rather than making something useful.

Downloads
    Uploads

I originally built my router to make speakers:

I've also made some tools and parts for my motorcycle. Alternator holder:

Battery bracket:

Currently I'm working on an amplifier case (cutting the aluminum front panel and engraving text).

CNC mill build thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertical_mill_lathe_project_log/110305-gantry_mill.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I built my router to make Microphone capsules for large diaphram microphones.
    Like this.What do you make or plan to make with your cnc router?-k47-20and-20k47c-20small-jpg
    So far its only made parts for itself though
    Not as easy as I thought thats for sure!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Amazing work on those speakers!

I made my machine originally to engrave clear plastics...

I since moved on and starting doing artwork I sell my local art gallery. =)

"The whole world must learn of our peaceful ways... by force!" - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi propaganda,
    nice work, I would like to know what cutter you used to do the engraving, what is your cutting speed, feed, RPM, and do you use lubricant, I'm having a hard time cutting ether plexiglass or lexan (polycarbonate)
    Thanks

Last edited by Patternboy; 11-01-2010 at 03:11 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The robot was milled onto polycarbonate (I am not 100% on this) and I used a 1/8" upspiral endmill new out the box @ .050" DOC, 30 IPM. A bit slow, but this was my first try.

The lower one is extruded Plexiglas (brand name) at .220" thick. The bit was a upspiral ball nose 1/4" dia/shank from american-carbide.com @ 13K RPM, 100 IPM throttled down to 67% in MACH3 and the DOC was .110". (single pass) *edit* No lubrication, no air assist. This was milled in my back pouch where the temperature was about 90F.

Here's the milling shot to try to show the size of the chips...

And the channels are nice and clean with less than 1% welded on chips however you can see chatter lines which in my case is OK for now to have.

Here is a video, also in that same channel are a few vids of 2.5D milling extruded plexi. BTW, the chips left around the edges of the channels quickly crumpled away with a light rub of the thumb.

"The whole world must learn of our peaceful ways... by force!" - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks propaganda,
    I will try it when my CNC router will be installed in our new building. I did some in the pass with polycarbonate, and I use a .25" flat endmill solid carbide, I was doing a contour toolpath, and the polycarbonate was melting, I don't remember what was my setup, I know I was doing stepdown of .0625", my piece was .5"th.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thank you!

Great posts here folks. Please lets keep them coming!

Downloads
    Uploads

The guards I make are polycarbonate. It is a Thermoplastic of course, but rather on the soft side. Not as hard as acrylic. I use bits just for this from Onsrud. Solid carbide two flute. Straight flutes by the way. I have use spiral bits with good results too.

As for the chatter when using a ball end mill.
    You may be able to eliminate or camouflage most of it by using a clean up pass or finish pass.
    Looks great guys. Keep up the cool stuff.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Lee,

That's quite a menagerie of Shark Guards you've developed.

I love mine.

Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wooden plaque

This is one of the few plaques that I do for retired people, it's made out of oak, cherry, walnut wood, and the brass plaque was done by machine shop, but I did the design.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you make or plan to make with your cnc router?-dsci0034-large-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bobsch View Post
    Lee,

That's quite a menagerie of Shark Guards you've developed.

I love mine.
    Thanks, Bob.
    There are about 20 variations of just guards. Then nearly 100 different models of saws they fit. Color choices and splitter thicknesses being another choice, so these are pretty much custom made. No way to mass produce such a wide variety. I would not be able to offer as much coverage without my cnc machines. I think they can help grow any small business and help larger businesses meet demand.

CNC has been a very worthwhile endeavor for me.

Great looking plaque. Is the brass sand blasted?

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, the brass has been sandblasted or glass bead or something like that, very fine sand.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use my CNC router for various things like parts for my model RC airplanes, repairs or parts for things around the house and puzzles or small things for my kids and grandkids. My latest is the traditional sphere in a cube where the sphere is larger than any of the holes on any side so it is captured inside the cube. I machined mine from a solid block of black walnut. I machined each side first so the block was 2" on each side. Then the fun began.

I drew the CAD file in CamBam and machined the piece on a Fireball V90 using a 1/8" endmill for the entire process. A bullnose will also work. Each side took approximately 10 minutes to machine.After machining and fine sanding, I finished it with Minwax Neutral. The real trick is how to hold the ball in place for the final side machining. There are several ways to do it but you will have to figure that out yourself, that is the fun of this little project.

Don

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What do you make or plan to make with your cnc router?-ball-cube-jpg   What do you make or plan to make with your cnc router?-ball-cube2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Thanks, Bob.
    There are about 20 variations of just guards. Then nearly 100 different models of saws they fit. Color choices and splitter thicknesses being another choice, so these are pretty much custom made. No way to mass produce such a wide variety. I would not be able to offer as much coverage without my cnc machines. I think they can help grow any small business and help larger businesses meet demand.

CNC has been a very worthwhile endeavor for me.

Great looking plaque. Is the brass sand blasted?
    Thats interesting that CNC has helped you keep up with so many custom products. Is this because you keep the g code for each one on file, and cut on demand?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

used my junk cnc to make a lot of stuff,from pc fan grills,cpu water blocks,keychains,gifts to bike parts

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by piratecnc View Post
    Thats interesting that CNC has helped you keep up with so many custom products. Is this because you keep the g code for each one on file, and cut on demand?
    Yep.
    That is exactly what I do. I am always creating new patterns as well for old and new saws.

I started by building cnc router, then built a mill and then a lathe. I have one folder that has all Gcodes and Backup XML's for Mach. That folder has lots of sub folders broken down by manufacturers. Then subfolders again broken down by models numbers.

When they order something, I just go to that folder and cut out and finish those parts.
    Not nearly as complicated as it sounds.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Yep.
    That is exactly what I do. I am always creating new patterns as well for old and new saws.

I started by building cnc router, then built a mill and then a lathe. I have one folder that has all Gcodes and Backup XML's for Mach. That folder has lots of sub folders broken down by manufacturers. Then subfolders again broken down by models numbers.

When they order something, I just go to that folder and cut out and finish those parts.
    Not nearly as complicated as it sounds.
    Sounds like you've successfully created an industry for yourself. What percentage of your income comes from your cnc manufactured products?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast