My Newest Desktop machine - Page 89

Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 397986878889
Results 1,761 to 1,769 of 1769

Thread: My Newest Desktop machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My Newest Desktop machine

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    Hi, I was thinking about the challenge you had earlier in the thread about getting pictures of your work to come out the way it looks in person. This may or may not work, but it might be worth a try.

Instead of taking the picture digitally, instead use a a pro quality film such as kodak Ektar 100.

KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTAR 100 Film / 135

Just have the negatives developed, and then scan it with a high color bit depth scanner, not the ones at walmart. I have one and will happily scan some for you if you like. It turns out that scanners like this are pretty reasonably priced, as they don't really have to be concerned all that much about the time to capture the image or varying light conditions.

If you don't own a film camera, surely someone locally does, or you can get great ones off of craigslist of ebay for almost nothing.

I suspect (don't know for sure) that the challenge you are having is with color bit depth. It is very hard to make a digital camera with high resolution, usable speed, and high color bit depth. (except at very high prices) Very few really have it all. Film has the advantage of 100 years of engineering, but the known limitations.
    Nothing like shooting some film. :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ynnek View Post
    Nothing like shooting some film. :-)
    So true but unfortunately those days have passed. That passing has been felt very strongly in Rochester NY (near by town) that has seen Kodak shrink from the major employer in the area to a tiny shell of its former self.

One thing I have to suggest if a person wants to learn to do good photographs is to learn and understand the impact of lighting. One major issue with either digital or silver based photography is that these mediums don't see light like we do as humans. Sadly many shops simply aren't set up with good lighting for photography. Even the newer LED based lighting solutions can bias the lighting a bit though daylight level LED is a very good lighting source for picture taking.

As for digital, these days a cell phone camera (yes a cell phone camera) can out do the low end film cameras that where common in "The Old Days". I'm talking the Disc, 110 and low end 35 mm cameras of the day so not all is lost when going to Digital. You still need to understand the tech, but it is far easier to get a better quality picture these days than at an item in the past. High end pro cameras still cost a fortune so for many of use they are out off the question.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    So true but unfortunately those days have passed. That passing has been felt very strongly in Rochester NY (near by town) that has seen Kodak shrink from the major employer in the area to a tiny shell of its former self.

One thing I have to suggest if a person wants to learn to do good photographs is to learn and understand the impact of lighting. One major issue with either digital or silver based photography is that these mediums don't see light like we do as humans. Sadly many shops simply aren't set up with good lighting for photography. Even the newer LED based lighting solutions can bias the lighting a bit though daylight level LED is a very good lighting source for picture taking.

As for digital, these days a cell phone camera (yes a cell phone camera) can out do the low end film cameras that where common in "The Old Days". I'm talking the Disc, 110 and low end 35 mm cameras of the day so not all is lost when going to Digital. You still need to understand the tech, but it is far easier to get a better quality picture these days than at an item in the past. High end pro cameras still cost a fortune so for many of use they are out off the question.
    I have a collection of film cameras that I soot, along with my Canon 70D , dslr. I acquired a Graflex Speed graphic about a year ago. I have not run any film through it as of yet, but I will soon. I have several medium format cameras that have film in them now, a Mamiya C220 TLR, Pentax 645, Rolleicord, & a Zeiss Nettar folding camera. Fun Fun Fun. The next time I get to upstate NY, maybe I can look you up. My company has a plant in Cortland, that I travel to from time to time.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,

Do you by any chance have a set of drawings, or dxf files for your original 'green' machine?

I have been doing some research today - yes it's Christmas Day, but I'm bored - trying to find a set of plans for a small milling machine to use mainly to 'engrave' name plates - in brass or aluminium - for model locomotives. the biggest dimensions of which will be about 4" x ⅝".

This will be my first build of a CNC milling machine and I want to start small - and cheap, but then maybe build a bigger mill, capable of milling heavier gauges of metal.

One other question, would the small machine work with Nema 17 stepper motors - I have set of three ready to go?

Seasons Greetings and thanks!

Duncan

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan.e View Post
    Hi John,

Do you by any chance have a set of drawings, or dxf files for your original 'green' machine?

I have been doing some research today - yes it's Christmas Day, but I'm bored - trying to find a set of plans for a small milling machine to use mainly to 'engrave' name plates - in brass or aluminium - for model locomotives. the biggest dimensions of which will be about 4" x ⅝".

This will be my first build of a CNC milling machine and I want to start small - and cheap, but then maybe build a bigger mill, capable of milling heavier gauges of metal.

One other question, would the small machine work with Nema 17 stepper motors - I have set of three ready to go?

Seasons Greetings and thanks!

Duncan
    There may be someone that can help you but I don't think John has been around since 2013 , if you go through every post he did you may find enough information to make what you want, I think he did post some of his plans

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for letting me know.

I have gleaned a lot of information from reading this thread, but unfortunately there are a lot of dead links to images and drawings.

I can probably guesstimate the dimensions of the parts to enable me to make a machine, but it is always better if there is a proven one out there with available plans...

I guess I know what I'm doing today...

Thanks again!

Duncan

Downloads
    Uploads

There used to be a folder on microcarve.com with all sorts of files, but my google fu isn't finding it.

Have you ruled out the extruded desktop machines?

Downloads
    Uploads

my google-fu is slightly luckier: Directory /forum002

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rocket try http://www.microcarve.com/forum002
    it worked for me, I bought just the Z from John a long time ago

Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 397986878889