help choosing the right kit please

Thread: help choosing the right kit please

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question help choosing the right kit please

hello, i am looking for a machine that can cut my wood templates out that are around 44 inches. I realize I will need a 4' table but so unsure of what I truly need. The material thickness is 0.5". I saw the bluebird kits and they were around 3000$. Do I need something that intense or can I build something else cheaper? Thanks in advance...been reading a lot but have no personal experience.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: help choosing the right kit please

Quote Originally Posted by snowbrder007 View Post
    hello, i am looking for a machine that can cut my wood templates out that are around 44 inches. I realize I will need a 4' table but so unsure of what I truly need. The material thickness is 0.5". I saw the bluebird kits and they were around 3000$. Do I need something that intense or can I build something else cheaper? Thanks in advance...been reading a lot but have no personal experience.
    You are suffering from a lack of information here, mainly concerning the quality you need to achieve. Further when you say templates it leaves one thinking that those templates are for manual operations. Maybe the use of the word templates is confusing things here but if all you need is a few templates maybe you should have somebody with a router make them for you.

You can always build cheaper and then suffer because of it. With parts that big you are talking about a router either capable of half sheet or full sheet handling. You didn't state precisely what the material is but if it is plywood or other sheet goods that commonly come in 4x8 foot sheets then you may want to consider a machine that can handle those sheets. That is if you have the volume to justify it. I'm still not sure templates are a good excuse for a machine, especially one that will be relatively large.

Price wise you sit on the border of a too thin budget.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've never heard of a "bluebird" kit. Do you have a link?

I would think that it's unlikely that you'll find a quality kit in the size you're looking for for under $3000.

And to be honest, there aren't a whole lot of kit manufacturers out there, and the only one I would recommend in that size is CNC Router Parts.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    And to be honest, there aren't a whole lot of kit manufacturers out there, and the only one I would recommend in that size is CNC Router Parts.
    As the owner of a CNC Routerparts kit machine, I endorse this message.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i just finished the assembly of the CNC routerparts kit and have not cut anything with it yet. but it is a stout machine. before the CNCRP kit i owned a smaller hobby machine which was a completely disappointing experience, i could never achieve the accuracy i needed, it was nearly impossible to adjust things, it was really made for making a few signs and a cribbage board, not for complex 3d work or precise profiles.

i have not kept good records, but i would say total for my pro4848 build with the parts from them and spindle off ebay and the table and spoilboard and everything was around $8-9,000. i would expect a price around there for a 4'by4' kit machine, and much higher for a completed machine delivered to your shop.

it does seem like a waste to make templates on a cnc machine and then take them to a hand router to cut out the parts, when a cnc could cut out all the finished parts faster and more accurately. but maybe i don't understand your goals.

a local cabinet shop has a pretty big CNC machine and will cut out anything i send them, that would surely have been cheaper then the 9 grand i just spent if my intent was to not use it very often.