Uploads

There's a great deal on a KAVO spindle & controller on eBay right now:

Bargain on KAVO spindle

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tiag Mill Head Good/Bad

Hey Guys,

I am hoping that some people still follow this thread because this thread has been amazing and i am hoping you guys and answer some questions for me. I have the an opportunity to get a Tiag Mill Head with motor and everything for around $200 with shipping and everything like this picture http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/ta...ock_ER16_1.jpg It would come ER 16 Collets

so this leads to my questions

Question #1:
    Is this spindle something if i bolt to my cnc i am going to be happy with? or should i look for higher quality one?

Question #2:
    For the $200 I get a 30 dollar 1/5th HP 1750 RPM Motor Output Which translates to 500-5000 RPM Spindle Speed. Or I can opt to have 1/4 HP 3400 RPM Motor Output continuous duty which translate to 1000-10,000 RPM for $175 instead of the $30 which brings my total price up to 326.

Machine Info:

I have gantry Table Currently 4ft by 6ft with 850 Oz Steppers for Every Axis, and Currently I am running a Dewalt 618 Router. I use it sometimes for aluminum but don't ruin it by using it all the time. I am wondering if the First Motor (1/5th HP) will be enough to cut aluminum and plastics and then switch back to my router for higher speed Setups. I was considering making my own but you can't beat a complete setup for $200. I would spend that that in time materials making my own. As a side note i am not concerned about mounting i am very capable of making a bracket to mount the motor.

Thanks For any Input

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle Idea-taig_mill_headstock_er16_1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by metricengr View Post
    Hyou can't beat a complete setup for $200. I would spend that that in time materials making my own. As a side note i am not concerned about mounting i am very capable of making a bracket to mount the motor.
    I think you hit it right on there. It's a great price for a spindle. That said, you just can't beat this one for a bit more money: 1.5KW WATER-COOLE MILLING AND GRINDING SPINDLE MOTOR WITH INVERTER DRIVE VFD b6 | eBay. It's a brand new, 1.5KW (2 HP), liquid cooled, ER11 spindle complete with VFD, shipped from CA. You can just bolt it on and retire your router. The VFD alone is worth that much. I'm tempted to pick up one to upgrade my setup.

JR

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JRoque View Post
    Hi.

I think you hit it right on there. It's a great price for a spindle. That said, you just can't beat this one for a bit more money: 1.5KW WATER-COOLE MILLING AND GRINDING SPINDLE MOTOR WITH INVERTER DRIVE VFD b6 | eBay. It's a brand new, 1.5KW (2 HP), liquid cooled, ER11 spindle complete with VFD, shipped from CA. You can just bolt it on and retire your router. The VFD alone is worth that much. I'm tempted to pick up one to upgrade my setup.

JR
    I have seen those and i am just not a huge fan of such a small collet size and i am after lower RPM's then that. I am not saying those aren't awesome. a Side note 133 dollars for shipping are you kidding me it better be wrapped with gold foil lol

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have never heard anyone complain about the quality of the Taig spindles. The power, well, I can see some desire for more powerful but the limitation of the tooling size by the collet makes that kind of a moot point.

My uncensored views and CNC Router planning: http://reinventingcnc.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ended up buying the Tiag Mill Spindle to use as my Spindle and Boy i am sure happy It moves so fast now and is quiet! Here check it out. I am doing this so i can mill aluminum to build a 3d Print Head based off the Rockcliff Idea. I have got the majority of parts from CNCRouterParts and have been very happy with their customer service, I would be happy recommend them to anyone! I would be happy to answer any question anyone has i am running a chain and acme rod
    drive system.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle Idea

Hello everybody!

I've started building my first CNC Mill, with very limited budged and plan to mill mostly aluminum. I saw that people were using wood routers for cutting aluminum so i gave it a try. So far, so good for testing. Thing is, router I got (Mastermax 1800W MER-2106) have variable speed in range of 8000 to 23500rpm (knob with 6 positions). Now came to an idea to change speed from Mach3 and not manually by turning the knob. Simplest solution for me was to use relays, 6 of them for each position. Input from Mach3 to breakout board, to relay 1 would activate spindle at lowest speed, rest would just change speed. Is this possible at all?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know this is an old thread, but I think this question fits here. Does anyone have any experience with the newer .4kw brushless spindles like these?

CNC 0.4KW Brushless Spindle Motor ER11 & Mach3 PWM Controller & Mount + 480W PSU

I have searched but can't seem to find any real life usage information other than people discussing how to connect the wiring and getting Mach3 to drive the controller. I am looking for something like this to use on smaller jobs. My Dewalt 611 works fine, but it is really noisy, just looking for a quieter solution I can use on my long running 3D carving projects.

Thanks
    Don

Last edited by atwooddon; 07-20-2015 at 02:37 PM. Reason: typo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Saw this review online of the brushed version. It has massive runout, lacks a double-row angular contact bearing in front (so the shaft has up-and-down play), and has an absurd rubber-mount bearing in back. I doubt the brushless is different, but we'd need to see it disassembled to know.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I saw that review during my research and pretty much ruled out the brushed versions tho some seem to be having reasonable results with them. I have not found any information as to the internal design of the brushless versions. Was hoping they corrected the obvious bearing problems.

Don

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by atwooddon View Post
    I saw that review during my research and pretty much ruled out the brushed versions tho some seem to be having reasonable results with them. I have not found any information as to the internal design of the brushless versions. Was hoping they corrected the obvious bearing problems.

Don
    Most people should know that this motor has not been designed for use as a spindle, the motor is a standard regular light duty DC motor, with a collet chuck mounted on it, the motor could be used to drive a spindle,but not much use like it is, this does not represent the Chinese water cooled spindles in any way, which are designed as a spindle, they have 3 & 4 bearing models

The people selling these are just making a buck, taking advantage of those that don't search & get a better knowledge on the subject

Mactec54

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2229303132