Build Thread Crane's 25x25 Solsylva Build w/ Pictures - Page 4

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Crane's 25x25 Solsylva Build w/ Pictures

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by crane550 View Post
    Very helpful, as usual, CarveOne! Thanks. Gotta work a half day today (Saturday ) and then it's back for round #2. Picked up a 1/8th bit today, and am going to play with it some.
    About all I have to play with here is 1/8"x7/16" and 1/4"x1" straight flute carbide Bosch router bits from Lowes. I recently picked u a 1/4" solid carbide Up spiral and a down spiral bits made by Bosch also.

The 1/8" straight flute won't survive running into an object when the router isn't running. Don't ask how I know that......

CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Downloads
    Uploads

crane550, Home Depot sells Freud 1/4" up spiral solid carbide bits, which might be a great choice for profiling and pocketing wood. It seems to work OK on aluminum too, though I ride herd with lubricant on hand. (that didn't sound right...)

I've been experimenting, and been very happy with, cutting aluminum with the spiral o-flute bits from Amana (though I'm sure others are just as good). I find it works better with the higher router RPMs, and I have the 1/4" and 1/8" up-spiral ones. They seem to be almost indestructable, as I've accidentally plunged too deep into aluminum without breakage (I always make sure I zero out my Z correctly now!)

I also have an Amana 1/4" compression spiral bit for profiling hardwoods. I've seen Porter Cable-branded ones in the local hardware store, but they cost almost double what the Amana costs.

The V-bits at Home Depot work pretty well on my router cutting wood, but not too thrilled with it's performance in aluminum.

I've had success using regular HSS 2-flute endmills cutting 1" phenolic, in 1/8" passes....

The single and double flute core box bits work well with my table, cutting wood. Though I do have ball end mills as well...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bumped my amperage up to around 2.7. Might be a teenie bit high, I think the motors are only supposed to go to 2.5. Keeping track of the temp of the stepper motors, and they are definitely getting hot, but not too hot to touch.

Here are some of the latest pics:

This is my excuse for not getting more done last week. Took the dog and wife up camping, and did nothing but drank beer and played my guitar. About 14 of us went, our camping trips are so much fun they are starting to get popular. Good time, for sure.

Crane's 25x25 Solsylva Build w/ Pictures
    From Jeep

Anyways, here the setup as of now. Judging for this picture you can probably guess what is next on the agenda.

From CNC

My artist skills at work.

From CNC

The most recent work:

From CNC

Still need to figure some stuff out. For one, this is only 8.5" long, from start to stop of the text. It is supposed to be 13 inches long, or so. Checked, double checked, and rechecked all my settings.

Microstepping at 4, leadscrew pitch at 12....not really sure what I am missing. It just dawned on me that the pulleys might be different sizes. Might check that out next, hope thats the issue cause it will be an easy fix.

Downloads
    Uploads

Snip
    Still need to figure some stuff out. For one, this is only 8.5" long, from start to stop of the text. It is supposed to be 13 inches long, or so. Checked, double checked, and rechecked all my settings.

Microstepping at 4, leadscrew pitch at 12....not really sure what I am missing. It just dawned on me that the pulleys might be different sizes. Might check that out next, hope thats the issue cause it will be an easy fix.
    It's a ratio thing that you can set in Mach3 or EMC2 to get the machine to move the correct distance. No need to change the pulleys unless you have other reasons to do it.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    It's a ratio thing that you can set in Mach3 or EMC2 to get the machine to move the correct distance. No need to change the pulleys unless you have other reasons to do it.

CarveOne
    No, I'm not saying I would change the pulleys, just change the settings. Going over to try some new cuts right now. I will check the sizes and see whats up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does anyone know if CamBam can inport photoshop or flash vector files and create toolpaths with those? EMC2 tries to create paths with jpegs, but it uses a printer type method that does not produce anywhere near a good result. CamBam lets you carve along the path of fonts and such, but the interface is less then efficient. It would be cool to be able to import vectors from illustrator or flash or similar. Any thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads

Does anyone know if CamBam can inport photoshop or flash vector files and create toolpaths with those? EMC2 tries to create paths with jpegs, but it uses a printer type method that does not produce anywhere near a good result. CamBam lets you carve along the path of fonts and such, but the interface is less then efficient. It would be cool to be able to import vectors from illustrator or flash or similar. Any thoughts?
    I don't have a clue for you on that question. I've just been importing an image file (jpg & gif) into TurboCad v16 Deluxe, tracing it with a closed polyline, using node edit it to smooth it up and make it fit the diameter of the smallest bit I will use for cutting it. Then generate the gcode with CamBam. It works well, but is a lot of work sometimes. I'm sure there are much easier methods. I stay too busy building and modifying than learning any software.

Yohudi's free software site may have info on something of use.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

crane550 I've been using Cut2D for the majority of my 2D and 2.5D cutting. For the price, it's so simple to use it's almost embarrasing! The trial version lets you cut the sample files as well...

Downloads
    Uploads

Cambam does not import flash files, or .psd files (i think that's what you meant by "photoshop" files)

You can try Inkscape - a freebie that can do a fair job of converting raster to vector drawings and has a lot of settings to play with. The trick is to get the cleanest lines you can, and then use some node editing tool to clean them up even more.

VCarve Pro/Aspire has an image import option and a vector conversion feature, that along with a "fit curves to selected vectors" function does the best job I've seen - then some vector node editing for cleanup and you're there.

Once you've got some clean vectors, either Cambam or VCarve/Aspire will do a good job of cutting them.

Sometimes for simple shapes, just tracing shapes over a bitmapped layer works faster, like Carveone described.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been experimenting, and been very happy with, cutting aluminum with the spiral o-flute bits from Amana (though I'm sure others are just as good). I find it works better with the higher router RPMs, and I have the 1/4" and 1/8" up-spiral ones. They seem to be almost indestructable, as I've accidentally plunged too deep into aluminum without breakage

Louie,

Is that the Amana Aluminum Carbide Spiral 'O' Single Flute, Upcut ? It seems to have a "drill bit" type end - so I guess it wouldn't do for pocketing. What would use for pocketing aluminum?

And, who do you order these from?

Downloads
    Uploads

x

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ahren, was good talking to you today. Thanks for your insight. If you have any parts that would benefit me in this build, or any kind up upgrades, please let me know! Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Alex,
    It was good talking with you too. Per our discussion, I think by far the best bang for your buck on the current machine is the replacement of your allthread screws with our 1/2-10 5 start ACME nuts and 5 start screws. With your motors, you should see at least a 4x increase in speed, and probably more.

As Carveone can tell you, this is an addictive hobby, so let me know when you get the urge to build a larger machine. At that point, I'd suggest our rack and pinion drives for real speed, and a bipolar stepper motor package instead of the hobbycnc's you're running now.

Best regards,

Ahren
    www.cncrouterparts.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ahren View Post
    Alex,
    It was good talking with you too. Per our discussion, I think by far the best bang for your buck on the current machine is the replacement of your allthread screws with our 1/2-10 5 start ACME nuts and 5 start screws. With your motors, you should see at least a 4x increase in speed, and probably more.

As Carveone can tell you, this is an addictive hobby, so let me know when you get the urge to build a larger machine. At that point, I'd suggest our rack and pinion drives for real speed, and a bipolar stepper motor package instead of the hobbycnc's you're running now.

Best regards,

Ahren
    www.cncrouterparts.com
    I'll second and third Ahren's suggestions on the 5 start screws and his Acme nuts for it. They really are worth the money for what you get from them. The next level up in speed improvement is to change to his pinion drives or use them on your second machine build. These are the speed thrill for the DIY CNC machines.

Addictive hobby? Who would have thought that? I'm not addicted. I can quit anytime I want to. It's just that I don't want to. Not yet anyway. I'm having too much fun to quit. Really, I'm serious. I can quit, .......... I think.

CarveOne

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by revwarguy View Post
    I've been experimenting, and been very happy with, cutting aluminum with the spiral o-flute bits from Amana (though I'm sure others are just as good). I find it works better with the higher router RPMs, and I have the 1/4" and 1/8" up-spiral ones. They seem to be almost indestructable, as I've accidentally plunged too deep into aluminum without breakage

Louie,

Is that the Amana Aluminum Carbide Spiral 'O' Single Flute, Upcut ? It seems to have a "drill bit" type end - so I guess it wouldn't do for pocketing. What would use for pocketing aluminum?

And, who do you order these from?
    revwarguy, the Amana (and all others I've seen) spiral "O" flute has a single point. They come with either up- or down-spiral flute, though the up-spiral cuts clean and don't see the need for the down-spiral (yet!) I use it for pocketing as well (it does leave a flat bottom with a nice surface.) Check out my videos on the 'Tube; you can actually see the chips come off nicely, and I run it at about 18K for the 1/4" and 25K for the 1/8". I use LamiLube as a lubricant.

I got mine from toolstoday.com, they have all Amana bits and excellent service. They are in Long Island and me in Westchester County in NY so I get stuff the next day! They're about $26, but I haven't broken them yet despite ramming through a piece of 1/2" AL (must check the Z home in the G-code when using longer bits!)

edit: also check out cronsrud.com; they sell their bits direct...

Last edited by louieatienza; 06-09-2010 at 09:36 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, still waiting on software. Looks like Vcarve pro is on the shopping list. With a $600 price tag its going to hurt, but necessary. Just about had it with CamBam.

Also had some ACME 1/2-10 rod donated. 12' of it. Also got a 18" or so section of dual start for the Y. Many many thanks to Jspencer for the very much needed upgrade. Cncrouterparts couplers will make a good match.

Before I do this upgrade I will rebuild the carriage with plexi and aluminum, all machined to fit. My plans are at the shop or I would be drawing right now, but got some things cookin for all axis's.

Will probably get to the Y pretty quick. That will definitely be the easiest to upgrade. X would be a quick but I am planning on reworking the way it connects to the gantry. Will try to get some drawings up soon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wife is blocking the V-Carve purchase for now...

But once I get it I already am preparing for the upgrade....

From CNC

From CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

crane550,

Start with Cut2D. It will do most of the 2.5D work you need to do (inclouding those bearing blocks), only $149, and Vectric will discount you on the VCarve Pro upgrade when it's time (to convince the wife...)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    crane550,

Start with Cut2D. It will do most of the 2.5D work you need to do (inclouding those bearing blocks), only $149, and Vectric will discount you on the VCarve Pro upgrade when it's time (to convince the wife...)
    Yes, but the V-carve engraving function is not included with the 2d version. After playing with the demos of both for some time it became quite clear that the Vcarve pro is the best option for me. Took about an hour to figure that one out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Need to order new pulleys today. Question: Since I am going with a 1/2-10 single start, what if I geared up a little bit? Not sure about the sizes available, but it seems to make sense. Only con to it I see is that it will still have to accelerate/deaccelerate the rods that spin quite a bit more.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast