What an informative site... so much information...
I've been searching and have not been able to find the relevant information so was hoping someone could help me with some questions:
I want to build a system that will be able to measure a machined component as it moves on a conveyer belt.
Accuracy to 0.01mm will be good enough
I've been looking into using a laser and camera for 3d digitizing and also laser interferometry
Distance to component - around 10cm
Most components are turned so are in diameter, ie will have to measure from both sides to get accurate sizes in diameter
Machined piece will have to be measured from both sides and the top
1. What is the best and fastest way to measure a machined piece automatically?
2. What would be the highest accuracy I could get with laser triangulation?
3. Is there software that would be able to take the 3d model and show all sizes automatically then compare it with a masterfile as the pieces get scanned, then alter the cnc offsets?
4. If not, how difficult would it be to write up a program through VB for an intermediate programmer?
5. As far as I understand, each laser measuring system only measures the exact spot it is focused on, what would be the best way to measure the entire outline of a component? (moving laser or multiple lasers?)
Thanks very much