Downloads
    Uploads

You have to D&D the 2 circle features from the database window into
    "construction" menue item "bestfit"
    Remember all what you can't find to construct, try it under "bestfit"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Aha! Thanks so much Doc. This was totally escaping me. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default perpendicularity

anyone knows how to tolerate a perpendicular i have the open dmis version 2.4
    I think jaja...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default answer

hello you can help me?
    my name is miguel you know take the perpendicularity in opendmis 2.8?
    thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sup guys, I am new to this forum and like most of you I have issues with opendmis. I have taught myself up until now but am now at a stopping point. Is there anyone who can assist me on how to get a iterative alignment to work in this software?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New to OpenDMIS

I too am new to OpenDMIS and, unfortunately have been stuck with the oldest version (1.0) of the software. I was curious to see if anyone would know how to align a CRD system to circle features on a part. The part that I am trying to program is circular with thru holes at each quadrant that I am trying to align my CRD to. The problem is the CRD always is skewed on the XY plane causing my tolerances to be thrown off. All I want to do with this part is program it to align the CRD to the center of the part with the X and Y axsys' directly through the respective through holes.
    If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic316 View Post
    Sup guys, I am new to this forum and like most of you I have issues with opendmis. I have taught myself up until now but am now at a stopping point. Is there anyone who can assist me on how to get a iterative alignment to work in this software?
    Hi Ballistic,
    What are you meaning by an iterative alignment? Are you meaning automated tip calibration at multiple angles?

- DEA Gamma 1205 running OpenDMIS 2.63

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bferguson5 View Post
    I too am new to OpenDMIS and, unfortunately have been stuck with the oldest version (1.0) of the software. I was curious to see if anyone would know how to align a CRD system to circle features on a part. The part that I am trying to program is circular with thru holes at each quadrant that I am trying to align my CRD to. The problem is the CRD always is skewed on the XY plane causing my tolerances to be thrown off. All I want to do with this part is program it to align the CRD to the center of the part with the X and Y axsys' directly through the respective through holes.
    If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
    The thing I do in that case is pick up the through holes and make a best fit line out of them. Then build your coordinate system from the top of the part as your Z direction/origin, the OD or ID of the part as your Y (or X) origin , and finally, the best fit line as your X (or Y) direction/origin*. *You'll have to set your OD or ID as your X and Y origin depending on weather your holes comprise your datum or the axis of the part does. Obviously, you can choose holes opposite of each other or (assuming the holes are equally spaced about the axis of the part) choose holes next to each other or even both sets of holes for your X as well as your Y. Guess it depends mostly on what features you need to align to but most likely the axis of the cylindrical part is most important. The best fit line will 'clock' your coordinate system even though it may not be the feature that you want to use for the origin of your datum. This make sense? Hope it helps.

Last edited by joe perry; 12-09-2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: missing part

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spent 4 years programming with PC-Dmis. I took 4 years off to raise my son and now I am back programming, but with Open Dmis. I would like to mirror a whole program. I am only seeing options to mirror features and cad models. Does anyone know how or if this is even possible with Open Dmis?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds funky. So you want to make a mirror of a program? I'm trying to think of a case where I'd need to do that but can't imagine. I've made a 2-up program (to check two parts per run) but not mirrored. Mind sharing the purpose? Were you able to do it in pcdmis?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would imagine if you have a left hand and a right hand part, you should be able to mirror the program of a left hand into a right hand??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tolerance question. When checking for true position, does anyone know where to input the locations of the dimensions I want to check. Usually you have basic dimensions you apply, but I am not able to find it on Dmis under the true position tolerance.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you get an answer for this tolerance question yet? If not, here's my experience. The basic dimensions are already in the definition of your nominal feature. i.e. You've defined and saved to your features database/ DMIS code the nominal/actual of a feature or you've extracted from a CAD model a feature. The true position measurement function compares the nominal (basic) dimensions of a feature to the actual (measured) dimensions of that feature in relation to your coordinate system. There are features that will not work with the true position function. One of them is a cone. I think you can find in the help file all of the features that won't work but I'm not sure. Hope this helps.

Last edited by joe perry; 07-04-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Answered question TTBOMK just in case

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your help Joe. Question.... I would like to mirror a program, but have no idea on how to do it. The reason for it is I have a left hand and a right hand part. It's a big one and I do not feel like writing it from scratch. Can anyone assist me with this?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll see if I can try today. I'm guessing it all might start in constructions with mirroring all of the features but I think I recall an option to mirror DMIS code. I'm guessing you don't have a cad file(s)?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

As of right now I don't. Thats something we are looking to the future on. I am currently running the right hand version of the parts and have the left hand waiting on me. Once I am done I will also try the different options in DMIS. There just has to be the option somewhere. Thanks for your quick response.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did try the mirror dmis thing today. I mirrored about my final coordinate system in the xy plane and ran the program off line. It did in fact run upside down but the approach of the probe was through the part. I also tried the yz and xz planes but I couldn't tell what was going on. Your CMM is CNC isn't it? I mean, I'm assuming that you don't just need to mirror the nominal features to measure manually. Also, what version of opendmis are you running? Have you tried exporting your nominals as a cad file in ices format? I tried that today for the first time. I guess it would be useful in that you wouldn't have to generate new nominals but you would have to reprogram the hits and so forth. Just a thought. I was pondering the idea of just changing the positive x values to negative ones but then you have the approach vectors (I's & J's) to deal with if they are anything other than 1's and 0's. I did not try constructing mirrored features individually though. I'm also assuming you've created your nominals from actuals and cleaned them up in the code?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Joe,

Thank you for your help once again. The version of DMIS I am running is 3.21 . Sorry, but I do not understand exporting my nominals as CAD files in Ices format. I was thinking the same thing as too changing the "x" values, but my concern was exactly what you stated, the approach vectors. I have created my nominals from my actuals and did indeed clean them up in code. Since my nominals are set, I think I will give changing the "x" values a shot. I can always modify the approach distances, it's better than reprogramming the whole thing from scratch. But, if I have to I will.

The part I have is around 970 dimensions, obviously, I cannot get everything on the CMM. But I have programmed most of it. Here's an example of the size of my program. It's around 5000 lines of code for the 1st. operation. Roughly, 27 pages of output information. So you can see why I would love to have mirror image for the left hand part. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your help again Joe. You rock.

Downloads
    Uploads

Greetings everyone! My company just got a Wenzel CMM with OpenDMIS Neptune Version 3.0. Does anyone still run this version? I am trying to learn this with minimal training. My main question is if anyone has been able to get a star stylus to build properly? I have tried to get it to build as a parent with the down stylus and the other ones as children, but when I try to use it in a program, the active probe it the only one the CMM sees, and I cant get it to clear when going into an ID hole, other than manually mapping the co-ordinates...any ideas?

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default OpenDmis Code

Anyone have code to share..
    I have made the switch from PCDmis to Opendmis and it was pretty simple. OpenDmis has a vey short learning curve if you are familiar with vectors, basic dmis code and understand basic cmm operation and how things are constructed/ viewed from a geometric standpoint. Actually been 10 years since using PCDmis and was surprised how quick I pick up OpenDmis. At first I thought it was a "simple" program compared to PCdmis but after a couple of months realized it can do just about anything PCDmis can..... and it utilizes native dmis code better than most. PCDmis, Calypso, etc. have much of thier code is program specific and does not help when needing to transfer to another machine/ program. Calypso reminds me when MAC came out compared to DOS.. A windows driven app that leaves the code behind the scenes. Great for an operator but does not teach the programming code side. Your kind of stuck using calypso if that is all you know. Learn dmis code and you can pretty much pick up any program code even if translated a bit different.

I have put together a file with all the different code examples for different things.. inputs, outputs, variables, cad models, etc. that I would share if there is an interest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast