I manage many sets of roll former roll tooling and I am looking for a machine to scan the profile of the rolls and give me a DXF line that I can use to overlay the original Cad models for the tooling to see where it is worn out. Copra (out of Germany I believe) has a machine specifically designed to do this, its call the Copra roll scanner. My problem is they only have sold a couple in the US and they are around $60k+. They are also pretty good sized and sit on a granite block. Not very portable. I have looked at high end tool pre-setters that say they can do this, Zoeller is one, but it comes in at around $100k.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts, ideas or experience with something that could do what I am looking for? CMM's don't work well as the probe tip cant get into the tiny areas or generate enough points to get accurate results. Plus I have well over a thousand pieces to scan.

The roll I have are around 4-10" in dia and the roll pieces are maybe only .25" to 8" wide. Most have a 1.5" bore thru them. They are all made from D2 tool steel that is highly polished, mirror like, like chrome plated bumper.

Thanks
Scott