digitizing a motorcycle gastank

Thread: digitizing a motorcycle gastank

Default digitizing a motorcycle gastank

hi,

i want to digitize a gas tank. later i need to redraw the tank in rhino with nurbs for further processing.

i was trying 123d catch which gave bad results.

now i am thinking of using a 3d digitizing probe on the cnc to digitize the gas tank. but i would need to mount it on a fourth axis and digitize a second run with a 90° angle. i would zero the digitizing probe at the center of rotation.

is it right that when you digitize the second 90° run i would just have to turn the pointcloud 90° back in the cad?

i am looking for a relatively cheap solution. would laserscanning , for example with the david laser scanner, be easier and faster for that?

thanks for your help,
    michael

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: digitizing a motorcycle gastank

set front of white background, and make pictures from different sides..

you can reach very accurate result.. without investing into 3d scanner..

there are some services for scanning... but you have to count on about 1000-2000 dollar for that..

================================================== ====================================

digitizing on a machine also a viable solution.. since tanks are a ""raindrop"" shape, you need only a 15-20 point and you can use those points to creating a curved surface..

likely if you were scanning a ""circle"" or a ball you need for circle 3 point and for a ball no more than 4 point

you set on the side the tank and make the side
    then place on bottom, and top and also make those sides
    then merge in the program..

i just tried the photo method. it is not as easy because the camera needs to be exactly in the top view or exactly 90° to the sides. in my case i draw one half outline of the tank and mirrored it over the midline and i got a huge inaccurancy. i am not sure whether i could solve that problem.
    thanks,
    michael

Downloads
    Uploads

no... from hand, you cant make that..

but you can set tank on blocks or any way keep straight
    also make a stand for the camera or iphone.. that way you can center camera exactly..

when you say top... you can lay on side the tank, again keeping straight ..

you also can set example ""vertically"" on some pins or anything don't cover visibility, then rotate 90 deg increment....

it might takes time, but compared what a professional company would ask it still affordable..

the shape you don't need with 0.001 precision...
    in outline dimensions 1/16 or 1/8 wont be issue,

where tank connecting to frame you can design it...

also with scanning the deep part of the tank can not be scanned.. where it sits on the frame... possible it takes many hours, but you can solve at home... without expenses..

================================================== ==================

thinking on what size a tank, something like a kitchen table should work
    set tank example on side...
    brace up with foam blocks or anything keep the bottom part ""vertical""
    then measure what height need the camera lens be on center

put under camera as much as lens centering

pull as far as the tank outline fill up the camera viewable area...

done

repeat on end too

for modeling, I would suggest indeed blender or silo3d... way simpler to work than rhino..

Downloads
    Uploads

have you checked google warehouse? there over thoushand of model.. someone might modeled already..

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/sea...ndclass=entity

i think i will go then with the 3d probe on the cnc. photografing the gas tank accurately costs the same time as mounting the tank on a fourth axis i guess. and touch probe is more accurate. i just need one half of the tank, only the visible parts, not the mouning tunnel.

thanks for your input,

michael