Trying to digitise part outlines to make gaskets

Thread: Trying to digitise part outlines to make gaskets

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Trying to digitise part outlines to make gaskets

Hi,

I am trying to digitise the outline of a motorcycle engine part so that I can create a DCX file for inputs to a cutter that can cut gaskets. I have done one gasket of a fairly simple shape using careful measurements and the DraftSight drafting package to make an outline. While this procedure worked well in this one instance it clearly has no real future for gaskets with complex curved outlines. I have found a piece of software called WinTopo which does conversions from Raster to vector format, and itshows a lot of promise except that I cannot get it to do justwhat I want. I have been placing the component for which I want a gasket on a flatbed scanner and generating a TIFF file at 100dpi resolution using greyscales. a .jpg version of the file is attached. I am trying to get WinTopo to vectorise the edges of the metal parts (light colour) and the background (very dark). When I attempt vectorisation the software does its best to draw a line along the middle of the light regions, which is not a lot of use to me.

Does anyone either know how to drive WinTopo to do what I'm trying to do, or alternatively can anyone direct me to another approach which will achieve what I'm trying to do? I will be very grateful for any help that I can be given. If there is a better place on the overall forum to post this request, I would be grateful to know.

Jon