"New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thats pretty incredible for the price. i think its magic, or at least all done by elves.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've seen this before here. It's quite cheap. 5 years ago, I bought 2 Minolta scanners for work. We had budgeted $60000, and got 2 for $20k each. It seems that rate of decrease in price has continued.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not a big enough scan area for my needs!

Downloads
    Uploads

Saw that on one of the tech blogs a while back, but they didn't have all the specs posted yet. Looks to be pretty killer for the price. Also, the max scan size of 13.5" x 10.1" (wide) isn't that bad. The Dimensional Accuracy ±0.005” in Macro Mode and ±0.015” in Wide Mode, is better than I would have thought too.

So, who is going to buy the first one and tell the rest of us how it works?

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd like a 24X16 inch scan area at least.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_R
    I'd like a 24X16 inch scan area at least.
    Who knows, maybe if this little guy sells well they will come out with a $5,000 one with double the scan size?

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

Downloads
    Uploads

The scan size of 13.5" x 10.1" is per frame but this can repeated and then joined up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd think that would work great if I could join frames consistently and accurately.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi
    The scan size of 13.5" x 10.1" is per frame but this can repeated and then joined up.
    Kiwi,

That's the way I am reading it as well. As long as it can be scanned in multiple sections and then joined, I don't see where it would be so limited.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_R
    Not a big enough scan area for my needs!
    Ed, According to their website, with their software there is no limit to size. "Object Size: No present limit. Objects larger than Field can be composite-captured with supplied software."

Downloads
    Uploads

I think that price is a little deceptive. If it came with its own software to tweek/repair holes and convert to nurbs it would be a true break through. BUt it doesnt instead you have to purchase the office premium 2007 of Solid Works to have that capability. That is gonna put you right up there with the roland 250 series laser digitizer that ships with its own pixform software for repairing of holes and surface clean up and conversion to a nurbs surface. Which is actually just a dumbed down version of Rapid Form. without those tools the laser isnt goint to do you much good. So the $2500 price tag suddenly goes to $10,000 or more when you have to purchase Solidworks office. Plus you actually get less resolution and scanning dimensions with the NExtEngine than the roland. So is it really a break through $$$ wise and performance wise? Probably not. If it had its own software for conversions/manipulations and clean up and a comparable scanning area to the roland for $5000 to $7000 it would be a real break through deal. One thing that will be real interesting is to see how well the composite capture works. With the bare bones software included I cant imagine a model with out some real troubling parting lines

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't read the specs that way.
    My understanding is that the unit is stand alone and has it's own software. This can be saved in STL , VRML and others. These formats can be imported to many CAD programs.
    NextEngine and Solidworks have ALSO created a new format which makes the data able to be read directly by Solidworks and therfore no conversion and data lost.

Downloads
    Uploads

true you can import the mesh in to your cad program im not saying that it wouldnt do that. The problem is once you have it in your cad program without the revers engineering sofware like Rapid Form you cant manipulate it, you cant turn it into a nurbs surface. For instance in Rhino you can open up the mesh file but thats it. thats all you can do besides rotate it and say wow thats a lot of little triangles. You cant perform any of the rhino operations, boolean, patch, cut, ect. it has to first be converted into a nurbs surface the reason I say its desceptive in the pricing is that the roland lpx 250 digitizer comes with the pixform software that does those things so that you have a model that you can work with. Thats why roland is asking $10000 unstead of 2400. Its like buying a ferrari without an interior.. The nextengine scanner doesnt have any of that. converting to nurbs isnt the only tool thats really needed, for example when scanning with a laser you will inevitably have holes in the mesh wether from overhangs that the laser couldnt get to or because of glare. A good sofware package will help you fill those holes and smooth any "stiched together portions of a nit together surface. Nextengines basic sofware doesnt let you do that. And if it does they sure are being secretive about a tool that they should be boasting about. I couldnt find any such indication on their site that it did those things.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ordered one a month ago, won't be here for several months though the company tells me. I already have SW and upgrade every year so that cost is already taken care of.

I'll give a report when I get it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nervis1
    I ordered one a month ago, won't be here for several months though the company tells me. I already have SW and upgrade every year so that cost is already taken care of.

I'll give a report when I get it.
    That would be interesting. I've been communicating with a guy named David Shoenfeld, with NextEngine, and told him that I use TurboCAD Pro v11.02 and he told me that he'll let me know what they find after testing. I'll pass on that information when it arrives.

It would be nice to be able to buy into a system that doesn't start at a cost of $10K and really be a home/hobbists type of system that is capable of doing professional type work.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by senor J.
    For instance in Rhino you can open up the mesh file but thats it. thats all you can do besides rotate it and say wow thats a lot of little triangles. You cant perform any of the rhino operations,
    senor J, sorry to disagree, and what you say many be true with Rhino V3, but the WIP Rhino V4 will do anything you need to do to meshes. I have just tested it on a mesh modeled in one of the major mesh programs and I could slice the model, boolean split or union...just like nurbs.

Mike

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cost report: SolidWorks as shown in teh video fromthe Las Vegs show The SolidWorks functionality you saw will be included with SolidWorks Office Premium at no additional charge. I believe the list price for Office Premium is $7,995 (new seat cost). And the cost of the NextEngine scanner is $2500. Total = $10.5K

Downloads
    Uploads

read this for information regarding rhino and meshes. They may be adding mesh capabilities in their new 4.0 release and that would be great. but for now the 3.0 doesnt do much of anything
    http://www.thermoanalytics.com/suppo...esh-rhino.html

Downloads
    Uploads

read the part about Importing an Existing Mesh

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast