"New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mo, seems to me that NextEngine is trying to work with you on getting a funcitonal scanner.

if the unit was made in 2006, and broke, I'd suggest taking their offers. The new scanner scans in much higher detail and has a lot more options available for it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default repairing of my NextEngine 3D scanner

Hi,
    we have begun repairing of my NextEngine 3D scanner you can see in the attachment my Friend Bhaa working on the board of the scanner [it's not complex as I thought] my Friend said
    I think it will be working soon wish me luck.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE-dsc03031-jpg   "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE-dsc03032-jpg   "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE-dsc03035-jpg   "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE-dsc03037-jpg  

"New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE-dsc03038-jpg   "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE-dsc03023-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

good luck man

Check out our selection of free-to-use DXF,STL,SVG,CDR files, with new downloads added every day https://www.cncworld.tk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What was wrong with it?

www.harryhamilldesigns.com
    CAD sculpting and services

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    What was wrong with it?
    it doesn't start or work my BC can't find it as new hardware
    and when I contacted NextEngine support to repair it they told me that's there is no service for old models as my scanner is made in June 2006 and they advised me to buy new HD scanner I like to have the new Hd scanner
    but my problem is that I have paid 2050 USD for the scanner and 295 USD for the software and this is large amount of money in my country ( EGYPT ) so I have to repair it by my self..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE-dsc03017-jpg   "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE-dsc03018-jpg   "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE-dsc03020-jpg   "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE-dsc03021-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mo_alhawary View Post
    it doesn't start or work my BC can't find it as new hardware
    and when I contacted NextEngine support to repair it they told me that's there is no service for old models as my scanner is made in June 2006 and they advised me to buy new HD scanner I like to have the new Hd scanner
    but my problem is that I have paid 2050 USD for the scanner and 295 USD for the software and this is large amount of money in my country ( EGYPT ) so I have to repair it by my self..
    I know how you feel... I just bought a unit second hand... it's been used only a few times, but I'm told if I want to use the software and the scanner I have to pay $295 to re-register it to my name, wtf!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i bought the scanner a couple of month ago, with upgraded HD ver. of software. we were trying to convert motorcycle parts into CAD drawings so molds can be made accordingly. however, after several weeks of tweaking, scanning, more scanning, more tweaking, it's not what we've expected - to efficiently convert shapes into CAD. the biggest problem is when joining multiple scans, it creates offsets even we've used 5~7 pins to line them up.

we've ordered a microscribe G2X and see if that's a better idea. but the nexteninge? it's probably a cool toy...but not something we can use day in and day out. the software really doesn't live up to the name. we don't have a month for each part...instead we only get a week for about 20 parts to be scanned.

does roland a better idea? our goal is to scan a part, let's say, a front fender of a motorcycle, and have it ready for machining in 6~8 hrs. is that even possible with current scanners/probes?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yup,
    I'm doing motorcycle parts too and scanning (with Nextengine) is generally a waste of time. I can draw the parts in CAD so much faster and I don't have to learn new s**t - not that learning new stuff is bad...I scanned a headlight holder for a 1925 White truck so I could reverse it to get the other side and it worked great for that. But if you want to know that bolt locations are within +/- 0.005 or better the scanner is suspect. Doing 360 degree scans isn't the way to go because distance to the object is critical to good scans. Making multiple marks on the part and doing partial scans is what worked for me.

dalianharley I'd be interested in know more about the parts you need to get into CAD...I do Laverda parts so I don't think we're competing but I have been building machine capability to go from CAD to part and would like to talk about your approach.

I see Next Engine has a new multi-axis holder - anyone used it?

Bill

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE-white_left_sla-jpg  
    Last edited by lavrgs; 01-03-2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: extra comments

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't really used my 1st Gen scanner in over a year. Not since the HD came out. I figured that support for the old ones was going to disappear completely (which it really appears to have done, NO 64 bit support for it at all?) And if the HD was as over-hyped, over-promised, and under delivered as the orginal, they are certainly not going to be getting anymore money on my behalf.

I could have had a really nice microscribe by now.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

that looks better than most of our scan results, how big is it?

is there a way to combine nextengine w/ microscribe? one for NURB surface and one for the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by lavrgs View Post
    Yup,
    I'm doing motorcycle parts too and scanning (with Nextengine) is generally a waste of time. I can draw the parts in CAD so much faster and I don't have to learn new s**t - not that learning new stuff is bad...I scanned a headlight holder for a 1925 White truck so I could reverse it to get the other side and it worked great for that. But if you want to know that bolt locations are within +/- 0.005 or better the scanner is suspect. Doing 360 degree scans isn't the way to go because distance to the object is critical to good scans. Making multiple marks on the part and doing partial scans is what worked for me.

dalianharley I'd be interested in know more about the parts you need to get into CAD...I do Laverda parts so I don't think we're competing but I have been building machine capability to go from CAD to part and would like to talk about your approach.

I see Next Engine has a new multi-axis holder - anyone used it?

Bill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Add my name to the list of second-hand owners with an inoperative scanner. Unable to get it to recognize scanner on Windows 7. Scanner not recognized as USB device when running Scanstudio Core. When I loaded ScanStudio HD, the scanner initialized, but the software will not run the SD scanner.

On my XP rig, the scanner works fine for 1 scan. In order to scan again, I have to restart the software. Pain in the @$$. I wish I could at least do that on my Windows 7 rig, it has a lot more memory and speed.

Any luck repairing your scanners? Let me know if you find a fix.

Rob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Friendly update: I was given a program called Autoclean32 by tech support. It simply cycles the laser through its range of motions at different speeds for a while. After running it multiple times, my XP rig can run the scanner again.

I did notice inside the scanner (couldn't resist a peak inside), that it was a stepper motor, and huge series of gears (some were even anti-backlash gears, although they are small and plastic). There was a 2" dia encoder attached as well. The gear closest to the stepper had some dark grime on it, but everything else looked great.

I hope this might help someone.

Rob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been researching 3D scanning for the last 2 years; specifically for reverse engineering to CAD. I tried a lot of different packages, and a lot of different approaches. Basically, laser scanning is o.k., but ultimately slow and results in wavy scans with surface noise.

I've been using white-light techniques; specifically based on the software/hardware from 3D3 solutions:

http://www.3d3solutions.com/

When I bought my setup, the cost was on par with the NextEngine; it may be more now, but nowhere near $15-30k of commercial packages.

The white-light/structured light process is more robust (no moving parts to break) much faster, and gets better results. The best part of structured light is I can scan at any scale. 1" to 8'-0". I've scanned some pretty crazy stuff and nothing comes close to the surface detail and resolution I've been getting. I reverse engineer to CAD surfaces and generate toolpaths right from scans.

I wrote up some stuff on my website at www.bluegalaxydesign.com if anyone is interested. You can see my commercial applications at:

www.globalinspectionsolutions.com

I'm always willing to lend a hand to fellow DIYers

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile This might be a cost-effective 3D solution for the CNC machine

3d white light scanner, cheap and good quality , the accuracy is suitable for CNC machine work. its working envirnment is not limited, and is pretty portable. It's been proved frequently in the furniture industry, jewllery industry, stone engraving industry etc.

Hangzhou Shining 3D Tech
    Tel: 0086-571-82876590
    MSN: kevinpingcan@hotmail.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Sincerely sorry for your bad news. Guess their after sales services is not good enough.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Next Engine SCAM Studio. Buggy, slow, crash prone, with many hindrances to license use and response time of so-called "engineers". Too bad, this could have been a good product, but by rushing it to market without debugging it, they gave themselves a blackeye.

----- <a href="http://www.cambridgemachine.com"> CNC Machine Shop Portland, OR</a>

Downloads
    Uploads

Odd, I have had one for over 5 years and like it a lot. I do admit it will crash a bit too often, but the better the computer the less it crashes. As for customer service, in my experience it has been the best of any company I have worked with - bar none. The Wiki process has been fantastic for my needs. What issues have you had?

CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Odd, I have had one for over 5 years and like it a lot. I do admit it will crash a bit too often, but the better the computer the less it crashes. As for customer service, in my experience it has been the best of any company I have worked with - bar none. The Wiki process has been fantastic for my needs. What issues have you had?
    you talking about the same company? the hardware is generally ok, but the turntable is fragile. the software is mediocre when its actually working, and the support is among the worst on the planet.

and the scan quaiity isnt that great on top. all its got going for it is the price.

Downloads
    Uploads

Guess I have a totally different experience...

CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining...

Downloads
    Uploads

I have to side with mcphill on this one.
    I've had a Nextengine scanner for well over 5 years. Well two actually. I started out with the SD and upgraded to the HD unit when they offered a very reasonable upgrade plan.
    I had some crash problems early on but that all went away when I got the proper amount of computing horse power. Their live chat has always got me through any problems I've had. Click on a button they get a screen shot. Click on another they get the whole model. Yes the turntable is a little weak but if you keep the weight of your item at or below the specs you won't have any problems. I build a separate HD turntable to handle the heavy stuff.

I fully understand peoples frustration about their scanner problems. I just wanted to share my experiences with Nextengine.

Derek

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678