"New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE - Page 7

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE

Downloads
    Uploads

Is anyone one doing scans where getting the correct dimensions is critical? I am using the program to reverse engineer some parts and I have found dimensional discrepancies, most likely caused by me, when I turn the scans into solid models.
    I reverted to 1.7.1 and it has stopped many of the problems I was having but I still have to get out because I run out of memory. I would hope that NE can figure out a way to manage the memory a bit better.
    Going to a 64 bit operating system will be in my near future to help with memory issues.

Downloads
    Uploads

ive not done anythign that had to be acurate to the mm. in general, you wouldnt expect it to be better than .005" to .01" if that. or are you talking about an overal scaling issue where its simply the wrong size?

and for memory, if you cant go to 64 bit right now, try disabling the texture collection. thats often what causes the crashes during fusing. just pushed the memory a little bit too far, especially if youve got many passes (i sometimes have 70 or 80 being fused at once)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Same for me, as everything I've been doing is ornamental, I haven't checked to see what the tolerance is. I'm sure it's not dead on, but it seems to be reasonably close.

www.harryhamilldesigns.com
    CAD sculpting and services

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a Marzocchi Triple clamp that is in progress. I use Rapidworks for most of the trimming and pre- processing then try to get the part "made". So far I am just experimenting. This is the first part that I have scanned ussing wide mode

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE-sfc-triple-clamp-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think if I wanted to sure of the dimensionally critical parts of the model, I'd import the scan into the solid or nurbs modeler of your choice and rebuild just those components. The id for the forks legs for example, or any faces stuff bolts to.

I know how I'd do it in different software I use, but don't know how easy it'd be in more common software like Solidworks or ProE.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lavrgs View Post
    Here is a Marzocchi Triple clamp that is in progress. I use Rapidworks for most of the trimming and pre- processing then try to get the part "made". So far I am just experimenting. This is the first part that I have scanned ussing wide mode
    how did you prep the crown? the machine ive found scans shiny things - even chrome - but because the laser reflecting it can make them full of artifacts.

if you could paint the crown matte white with water soluble acrylic for scanning youll get the best results.

Downloads
    Uploads

This was a bit of an experiment - most of the part was prepped with Magnaflux developer, some of it was left the original gold paint. I was surprised that the white part was harder to scan than the gold. It's very white and I have to turn down the intensity. Like I said this was the first part I did in wide mode. I didn't want to send too much time working with it but that failed. I'll post up a model when I'm closer to being "done". Here is a back view. The solid scan is pretty messy so this multi colored view makes it look better

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE-sfc-triple-clamp-back-jpg  
    Last edited by lavrgs; 12-01-2008 at 12:31 AM. Reason: update

Downloads
    Uploads

Not Finished but you get the idea...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE-sfc-triple-clamp-model-2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The finished model looks good, did you have to rebuild all the surfaces?

I've tried the white paint on polished objects with moderate success, its obviously better than nothing but not great. It's still very glossy because of the underlying surface and so, so white. I was wondering if another color would be better, grey or brown maybe. Anybody try any other colors?

Downloads
    Uploads

Rapidworks is a solid modeler. My preference is ProE but I've spent some time in the last week trying to use Rapidworks. The mesh is transformed into regions that RW recognizes; planes,cylinders,cones etc. and you can draw sketches based on the mesh. So the outside perimeter of the model was created starting with a base plane and then it gets offset to the original parting line and a set of polylines auto-magically show up. These are used to drive the sketch and are fully dimensional. Some of the bosses were made by being able to recognize a cylinder.
    My model is probably not 100%dimensionally correct. I learned a few things along the way. But I can go back, with part and calipers in hand, and add dimensions which I would adjust to the measured dimensions.

Magnaflux developer is a powder and I would guess is better than paint because its flat. It's a bit messy but not to bad. The guys at Nextengine recommended it.
    http://www.skygeek.com/ats-skd-s2.html The price varies widely I recall paying about $12 a can

Last edited by lavrgs; 12-01-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: update

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default how to start the nextengine 3d scanner

I bought a used nextengine 3d scanner from ebay but I don't know how to test it if it's working or not can anyone help me ? thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

They need an internet connection to work and you'll have to register it with them too. Even if you've got the original software, I'm pretty sure it won't run unless registered and re-warranteed which will cost you a few hundred bucks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mo and Harry,
    NextEngine provides free training and support to owners who buy from the online BUY page. For anyone who buys from another user there is an option to get the same one year unlimited support. You can email info@nextengine.com to get more info or feel free to ping me at dan_g@nextengine.com and I will answer any questions you have directly.
    Happy Scanning!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by motor818 View Post
    Hi Mo and Harry,
    NextEngine provides free training and support to owners who buy from the online BUY page. For anyone who buys from another user there is an option to get the same one year unlimited support. You can email info@nextengine.com to get more info or feel free to ping me at dan_g@nextengine.com and I will answer any questions you have directly.
    Happy Scanning!
    Hello,
    Thank you for your fast reply , may you tell me how I can get the one year unlimited support ,How I can test the scanner as I don't know if it's working or not so I can give the guy on eBay the feedback he deserve .

Regards,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    They need an internet connection to work and you'll have to register it with them too. Even if you've got the original software, I'm pretty sure it won't run unless registered and re-warranteed which will cost you a few hundred bucks.
    Thank you for your fast reply and support.
    Best Regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default One Year Support

Hi Mo,

Before buying anything from NextEngine I suggest determining the operational status of the scanner as you mentioned. Please send me an email to info@nextengine.com and cc me on my email, dan_g@nextengine.com. On Monday I will follow up with our support team to determine the best way to remotely test your scanner.

When we ship scanners around the world each one is tested, then packaged inside two boxes. The first box is black and contains the scanner, the turn table and part gripper and two other small boxes with power and USB cables and some paint and powder pens for treating surfaces of object that are shinny or translucent. The first box goes inside a second larger brown box and special shock absorption packaging ensures the high performance measuring device (scanner) is not damaged during shipment.

The scanners are pretty rugged so hopefully yours is in good shape and was not dropped or abused. How much did you pay for it?

If all is in good shape the 1 year support is $295 and I can help get that setup also. There is an item on our BUY page called ScanStudio ProCare and that is what you will want to buy after we make sure your scanner is in good shape.

Hope this helps Mo. I would also like to learn about the applications you will be performing with the scan data you create and what software you will be taking your digital models into.

Here to help,
    Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Dan,
    I have sent this email to dan_g@nextengine.com as you told me

( Hi,
    I bought a used NextEngine 3d scanner from eBay the scanner in a very good shape you can't tell that it's used it comes with its all accessory and the original black box it looks great but I can't test it if it;s working or not
    I need your help to test the operational status of the scanner after I make sure my scanner is in good shape I can buy the ScanStudio ProCare and have an account .)

I'm waiting for your reply
    Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default NextEngine 3D Scanner

Hi Mo,

You should have received an email from Sarah and one from me. If you have any questions feel free to ping my email of ring my number, 310-883-1828.

Best regards,
    Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default next engine 3d scanner

I'm still having problems with the next engine 3d scanner it doesn't work and the NextEngine company told me that they don't repair old scanners as mine it was manufactured in June 2006 so it's too old model and they asked me if I'm interested in buying a new scanner !!!!
    I don't know what to do but I think that I don't have any option but trying to repair it by my self dose anyone have any suggestion ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Repair Options

Hi Mo, if you bought the scanner from Ebay the first thing I would do is respond with unfavorable feedback. I am so sorry the unit you bought arrived broken, we have seen this before and are doing our best to inform the online community of risks associated with buying from someone other than NextEngine direct. Feel free to ring or ping me back with the contact info supplied in our emails.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast