"New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE - Page 5

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Then again, I might not have unlocked all of the features of the nextwiki yet.

-Jim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Arrow An update on using the NextEngine scanner

Here are some updates that I have for you.

1. This does not work on Vista (any version), Windows XP64. We just got a new machine to host the scanner and it came with Vista. So we need to downgrade the machine to XP for it to work. Was told March/April for x64 support.
    2. You need 3-4 GB RAM (even though the OS can't use it). I meet the minimum requirements on a testbed and it crawls. Put it on a monster machine and it processes at a decent clip.
    3. Beware the rotating. Want to screw things up? Have a model too close to the rotating gripper
    4. No matter how much the top 3 make you mad, the price and output are solid for what I need, which is for sharing designs without having to drive a disk around or emailing raw data to vendors and clients.

I am new to this so when I get a good scan, I can put it in a PDF and post it here.

Thanks for your time everyone,

--matt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default X64 support

Just a quick note: 64-bit support was released last week.

But the really cool stuff is soon to come: http://www.rapidform.com/cgi-bin/mul...view&mnum=1530
    See also: http://blog.rebang.com/?p=1177

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default x64 support

But the really cool stuff is soon to come: http://www.rapidform.com/cgi-bin/mul...view&mnum=1530

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was wondering if any of you guys who have tried this scanner out would be able to post a simple point cloud or STL file for evaluation purposes. It may be helpful for those of us considering this scanner to get a look at an actual scan to see how the point cloud looks, how easily we can work with it, etc.

http://www.scanningforum.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm wondering, How many of you have received the following email, about 3 times so far, just to find that it's not there?

MechE has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE - in the Digitizing and Laser Digitizing forum of CNCzone.com-The Ultimate Machinist Community.

This thread is located at:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...8&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    I was wondering if any of you guys who have tried this scanner out would be able to post a simple point cloud or STL file for evaluation purposes. It may be helpful for those of us considering this scanner to get a look at an actual scan to see how the point cloud looks, how easily we can work with it, etc.

http://www.scanningforum.com

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GAWnCA View Post
    I'm wondering, How many of you have received the following email, about 3 times so far, just to find that it's not there?
    MechE is a new member and his post got caught in the spam filter, it happens sometimes when new members do their first post.
    It's out there now.

Regards,
    Sven

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

dear sirs:

Has anyone an opinion about a comparision between the Escan and the Carso Scantech scanners price against performance?

ja mayrl

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Escan has the same resolution as the Nextengine and similar capabilites, just costs $5K more. Go figure.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default ja mayrl

Millingjeweler:

Thank you very very much for your help

I am retired and my interest is to bild my own machines

I have a 12 ft by 12 ft router that I use to creare big advertisement

objects in foam an mdf but some time need to scan real actual objects

from my clients

So I again appreciate very much your oppinion

Best Regards

Jamayrl

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi guys, there is a write-up of the NextEngine Scanner at mmsonline.com. It is covered in the RapidTraverse section of the July issue. The three types of file formats available with the NextEngine are Mesh, Surface and Solids. There is also some new content on the NextEngine web site that does a good job showing the levels of software and how to get Mesh, Surface and Solids.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default NextEngine User Forum initiated on Yahoo Groups

Downloads
    Uploads

I looks like a great tool to copy parts so you don't have to use CAD all that much. I wonder what other uses this tool has. Can it scan a persons face or the contours of your hand, mybe even your teeth for implants? Looks useful.

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm really starting to like using mine... anyone care to try it? or want something scanned?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

the scanner is a data capture system that can measure about 50,000 points per second so it has some crossover applications of a touch probe. There is a face scan study on the nextengine web site under applications or gallery that shows an example of how many points can be captured to map an organic surface. I really would not say the scanner decreases the need for CAD in most cases but it does compress the time it takes to design and manufacture organically shaped objects. It complements CAD and CAM. You are right medical and dental are two areas the scanner is being used. Scientist and Artists are also using the scanner with software designed to model 3D data. It really amazing some of the applications we see it being used for.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default ScanStudio CORE

The new NextEngine ScanStudio CORE release was made last Friday, if you do not have version 1.5.2 I suggest you download it. There are a number of new tools like AutoAligment, Fuse, Hole Filling and Itelligent Decimation that make working with scan data even more intuitive and fun.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by spydermeister View Post
    I'm really starting to like using mine... anyone care to try it? or want something scanned?
    Try something simple like a TV Remote Control or a Zippo Lighter. Then post an Iges, Step or STL file for everyone to see.

I just might get one of these for reverse engineering of aircraft part surfaces.

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default NextEngine Sample Files

As requested attached is a link for CNC Zone readers to sample scan data output from the NextEngine 3D Scanner Software Solutions that show Mesh, Surface and Solid files.

ftp.nextengine.com
    login: cnczone
    pass: nextengine

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "New" 3D Scanner from NEXTENGINE-ne-output-bmp  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did anyone ever try this with a slide projector?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast