Problem Chinese TB6560 controller card

Thread: Problem Chinese TB6560 controller card

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Problem Chinese TB6560 controller card

I have just tried to configure a cheap Chinese controller card (3-axis) based on TB6560. I think I have configured correct, but the X-axis is not working. When I try to use Mach3 to move the stepper on the X-axis, I can see the led for the X-axis glow on the controller board, but no movement on the stepper. Z and Y works OK, and I have, of course, tried to switch stepper motors to check that they are OK.

I have measured pin 3 on the TB6560 chips, and I observe that when I try to move the Z- and Y-axis, there is a dip in the voltage, but this is not the case with the X-axis, so I suppose the chip might be dead.

I do not have the schematics for this board, so I am only guessing.

Is there something else I could / should do before I try to desolder the chip and put in a new one?

Best regards

Ulf

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Problem Chinese TB6560 controller card

Its not worth wasteing your time to try to fix a TB6560 board. Just toss it and get something better. There are threads with 1000 posts on people who think they have the fix for them.

Get some stand alone drives (not 3 on 1 board) since the multi axis boards all have ground problems.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK - I got the message!

I am on a limited budget, and cannot afford a professional controller, but I see there are tons of cheap controllers based on TB6600, which I have seen is a better chip than the 6560, though I don't need more than 3 A, but then I suppose I¨ll need breakout board, and I'm not sure what to go for. The prices for the breakout boards starts at 12 $ to for the breakout board and the controllers (TB6600) starts at around 15 $. Have no idea how high I should aim.

Ulf

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by ulfh2012 View Post
    ...based on TB6600, which I have seen is a better chip than the 6560...
    The 6560 itself is not the issue - the usually crappy design and quality of the cheap boards around them is usually the problem.
    As Larken said: toss it and get decent single axis boards.

Christian

My CAM Software and CNC Controller: www.estlcam.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, but what is a decent single axis board? I'm not an expert, and have absolutely no idea how much I should expect to pay or what brand to use.

Might this be an idea? THB6064 MassMind Stepper Motor Driver Kit

Ulf

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ulfh2012 View Post
    OK, but what is a decent single axis board?
    Usually anything sold by an regular US or European store.
    Alternatively - just google brand name and model number and you'll get an Idea whether you can expect trouble or not.
    I personally use a total of 13 Leadshine M542 drivers - Chinese origin but good quality.

Christian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Knüll View Post
    Alternatively - just google brand name and model number and you'll get an Idea whether you can expect trouble or not.
    I personally use a total of 13 Leadshine M542 drivers - Chinese origin but good quality.

Christian
    Hi Christian.

Thank you for taking time to answer my questions. As you surely understand, I'm not an expert on this issue!

What kind of breakout board would you reccomend? I have Mach3 on a Lifbook laptop with a parallel port, running Windows XP.

Ulf

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ulf,

I don't know too much about breakout boards because I use USB instead of parallel port (Estlcam with an Arduino).

But as far as I know there are 2 main categories:
    • Very simple ones that are actually "just" breakout boards simply connecting the parallel port signals to easily accessible connectors.
      Some may also have an relais for the spindle on board.
    • Better breakout boards have galvanic isolation between the computer and machine side - so if something goes wrong on the machine side it does not fry your computer.
      Again with or without additional stuff like relais...

With a "proper", standard abiding parallel port usually anything works. But trouble may start if you use a laptop or retrofit parallel ports - some only supply 3.3 instead of 5V and do not deliver enough current. In this case you either need luck or use a breakout board that amplifies the signals.

Christian

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Knüll View Post

Christian
    Yes, 3 of the 542 drives will make a much better controller,
    And also a modular controller is much better since the ground paths are separated and if you blow 1 drive, you don't have to replace all three.

Downloads
    Uploads

I used the 6064 driver from 6064: 4AMP Stepper Motor Driver Kit. massmind. This is the motor I am using NEMA23 381oz/in 3.5A Dual Shaft Stepper Motor KL23H2100-35-4B | Automation Technology Inc and 40 volts power supply. I am very happy with them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So is there any need for a breakout board at all, or can I just use the parallel port from my Lifebook E, split the cable and connect direct to the controller, what ever version I go for? I have checked th 6064 based driver from Massmind, and it looks nice. I have 3 Nema23 stepper motors at 3 A, (eBay 111226961430) but I only have a 24 volt powersupply (think it might be adjusted a bit higher, but havn't tested yet.

Ulf

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

you can just split the cable (unless your parallel port has too weak signals and needs amplification).
    But be careful - parallel ports are not very error tolerant if you mess something up.

Christian