Doosan and Ellison Customer service?

Thread: Doosan and Ellison Customer service?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Doosan and Ellison Customer service?

I've been trying to get updates on some bugs we're trying to work out of our first Doosan machine, and I have been having trouble getting status from anyone. I e-mailed my Ellison application engineer 2 weeks ago- then talked to my sales person about a week ago, and I e-mailed Ellison service and received no reply. I tried the Ellison application guy again, I've called people at corporate, e-mailed people at corporate, and I'm just striking out. I don't get paid to do logistics, and I have to take time out of my work to work these issues, so working hard to pay people to close problems with equipment is frustrating.

My last 6-7 communication attempts have had no response.

I was looking at the Doosan line like a potential place to do future machine tool business, but our Yama Seiki machines on the floor and our Hurco machine, seem to have potentially more functional product support. I'd stop short of saying awesome about Mitsubishi on their EDM's because their support is great but the most expensive of all 4 brands and their machine has not been profitable to own. Yama Seiki had low quality local Wisconsin dealer support at the time of our purchase, and Ellison sales people had a lot of confidence in Ellison product support, so that projection of confidence seemed to imply we would have a great experience with Doosan.

Doosan Corporate is the brains in my solution process, and they are probably understaffed, over-taxed, and I'm a small unimportant problem, but that's hurting the outlook for a future with Doosan.

We have other local options,Nakamura through local Concept tool, or locally US headquartered options DMG Mori, Mazak, and Okuma seem to be well supported in our area. I was hoping we would see this get functional so we could stop playing brand tag.

Am I doing this wrong? I'm putting in Ellison service e-mails, I'm calling or e-mailing Doosan people who are supposed to be the people that would be working on this issue, I'm at 2 weeks on initial communication with no return contact.

For you Ellison users, what are common lead times for communication and problem resolution?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Green0; 11-21-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Doosan and Ellison Customer service?

I work for Doosan, in Service.

Normally, any thread created in this Doosan Forum triggers an email to me...but that hasn't happened (recently) (I will resolve that)

Have you tried reaching me though the Doosan Phone or Email System?

Darryl Hardt
    O:973-618-2461
    M:973-803-9479
    E: darryl.hardt@doosanmt.com

My account is updated to re-allow me to get emails of any post to this forum!

Last edited by dhardt; 11-30-2017 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Update
    No longer with Doosan Machine Tools America
    darrylhardt@gmail.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Darryl, I appreciate your message. On 11/21 I was contacted by Michael An, he sent a load monitor software update that worked to get load monitoring to keep its table contents on power down. We realized in the process that the old load monitoring software was not working on the day of that new software install so apparently it was working sometimes, sometimes not working and changing values for wear and break over time (migration of data points). The new software install is appearing to be functional and stable. We still had 3 problems at that time, the load monitoring would feed hold the opposing path, the load monitor would kick tool life minutes to expired, and the tool life expiration would feed hold the opposing path. Michael An worked with us Tuesday of last week, and got us a ladder update with a timer and keep relay edit instruction this morning. We installed that. It appears to have resolved those 3 issues.

Those issues were costing about an hour of production time every 7 hours of production time or 14% of production time. The first part we are making was a 38% overlapping time part- 7 minutes on main, 2.7 minutes on sub. So the time loss was reducing time savings of the twin to 24% over a single turret machine. The machine system with high pressure coolant is ~28% higher cost than a single turret so it was making the machine less valuable than a single turret machine dollar for dollar. With the issue resolved the machine is outproducing the single turret cost to value relationship by 10% on this first job that we are still running.

The machine is now the impressive machine it is supposed to be. The spindles rap fast as hell, the rapids are quick, the 24 stations are capable, the rigidity is impressive, the unloader is capable, and the load monitoring and tool life process stability is excellent. The machine has dual channel high pressure coolant and is not leaking coolant on the floor.

I appreciate Doosan Corporate taking care of me as a customer. I really want to be a future customer for more Doosan machines, and support is essential- even the greatest machine, is worthless without quality support behind it. I wish the dealers understood that need for professional, quality customer service and support like the corporate machine tool companies do. Thanks again Doosan Corporate for your assistance.

Downloads
    Uploads

I believe our dealers do understand the "need for professional, quality customer service and support" and I believe that they are trying to give that. There are some things that are beyond the average Field Service Technician's abilities. Heck, this one was beyond my abilities, but like they say..."The buck stops here".

I'm glad that Michael An was able to get this resolved, and apologize that you had to be delayed.

If any issues arise in the future, feel free to contact me directly. My contact information is in my signature line...including my cell #, if needed.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

darrylhardt@gmail.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have had great service from Ellison on my Lynx 220lysc I just purchased about a month ago. I get calls from my salesman asking how it's going, techs stop by to check to see how it's going for me, apps guys spent about 3 weeks with me training and making sure my part was running how I wanted. I get calls and texts all the time from them making sure everything is good. Since you said concept I assume you are close to the twin cities, if so your Ellison office is the same as mine. If you need a number for some help I'll get you one. I know they have been swamped, I think they just did around 20 installs in the last couple of weeks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sin_arms View Post
    I have had great service from Ellison on my Lynx 220lysc I just purchased about a month ago. I get calls from my salesman asking how it's going, techs stop by to check to see how it's going for me, apps guys spent about 3 weeks with me training and making sure my part was running how I wanted. I get calls and texts all the time from them making sure everything is good. Since you said concept I assume you are close to the twin cities, if so your Ellison office is the same as mine. If you need a number for some help I'll get you one. I know they have been swamped, I think they just did around 20 installs in the last couple of weeks.
    Concept has an office in Minnesota and one in Delafield, and we're near the Delafield Wisconsin office. I'm glad that things are working out for you. I know how important functional support is, and I would wish that situation on everyone running a machine.

- - - Updated - - -

We were running our second job in this machine, a used TT1800SY with low hours (~2400 cut hours). Our Live tool drive on the upper went down. Ellison had a service guy (Cbelden) there the next morning which was really quick. The technician was efficient, proficient, and courteous. The guy happened to live 4 blocks from us so it was a short drive for him. The technician discovered a bearing had failed in the live tool drive housing (the 90 degree converter in the upper turret). There was about 1/2 an ounce of grease in the ~5cubic inch compartment with the bevel gears under the lid, and we checked the lower and it was dry, clean and shiny without even residue from grease ever having been there, so it seems the lack of assembly grease may have contributed. The bearing that failed was totally dry and all the rollers were pitted like they had been shot peened. He said he believed our machine had current model turrets (I believe this as well because I've seen the current model turrets and they appear to be identical with steel numbered plates that are 1 piece without the live drive cover in the middle). We punched various bearings out of the assembly and had a parts book and the technician took numbers from the book for all the parts and was out by about 10AM Wednesday morning.

We're at almost a week- granted Christmas was an off day Monday, we called Ellison, and apparently they haven't ordered or invoiced parts yet. We just got correspondence with the parts person and she was told by the service manager to quote the assembly instead of the parts list. We asked her to quote the parts list since the assembly requires fitting to the machine (the grinding of the spacer). We asked and were told Ellison doesn't have a grinder for the spacer fitting. Given the need to subcontract fitting this is not only the most expensive but also appears to be the slowest way to repair this.

We're looking at purchasing a second TT1800SY new this week. The competing quote is DMG Mori. They ship parts in 24 hours or the parts are free to the customer. This morning one of our year old other brand machines decided to kick a tool change not ready code on 2 of 12 stations so 4 programmed and running machines in a cell have dropped to 2 as we wait for that builder to figure out why the machine stopped wanting to work for no visible mechanical reason. One more machine down and we might as well give the guys an extended Holiday break.

That DMG 24 hour parts is starting to look like it's worth some money over those 10 guaranteed years. They cite an average of under 3 business days to get a machine diagnosed, parts delivered, installed, machine back up. I think the only way they can manage this is that a service tech is dispatched instantly and literally people are shipping parts as soon as they know what parts they need to make that 24 hour window for parts to be in transit. I don't know why the parts list the tech took down wasn't with the parts department Wednesday. That would help cut these times. Maybe that's a technology problem. Maybe a notepad and a mobile scanner would allow him to scan that and e-mail to parts. We have wireless internet here. I would have gladly scanned and e-mailed it for him.

Last edited by Green0; 12-26-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The quote came over- the parts were $2400 less expensive than the assembly. We requested the order and gave them a PO number to get it rolling.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you do go with DMG, good luck with service. I've always been a huge Mori fan, the whole DMG thing wasn't great, and now the direct service model has ruined Mori. I'm lucky if I get even a call back. Fortunately for me, I know a couple old timer Mori guys in one of the offices I can call directly to at least get some answers. After buying a dozen Mori' s in the last few years, our last batch was Okumas. Service is everything, we had perfect service with Ellison when they still handled the line.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Green0 View Post
    The quote came over- the parts were $2400 less expensive than the assembly. We requested the order and gave them a PO number to get it rolling.
    I'm on vacation for the holidays, so please excuse the lateness of my reply.
    If you choose to replace the components it is more complex and grinding might still be needed.
    The unit replacement, done correctly solves the issue correctly.
    Incorrect understanding of component assembly results in more future failures.

Note about initial issue: a new TT1800SY uses air/oil lubrication, minimal grease is from assembly. If dry, then lube system is the issue.

I am on vacation, but I recommend that you call my cell 9738039479 before making decisions that might not work as you would hope.

darrylhardt@gmail.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks a million for the advice on the turret air-oil system. The technician didn't blink when we greased the lower for being "dry". Good thing the machine is down I guess. We will have to remove that grease. I had no idea the live drive couldn't be repaired and only could be swapped to derive successful replacement. I also didn't know it had a 50% duty cycle. All great information to have.

I really like the TT1800SY machine, I hope we can get it back operational. Our other brand machine that was down was a turret un-clamp sensor issue- we moved a guard to create a tiny access point, slightly bent a sensor bracket true and the turret started toolchanging to all positions again. So that's great. It was awesome not to have to remove the guarding on that one- it's a day project. They should have put a little access door in the guarding for convenient access.