New to the game, would like some advice.

Thread: New to the game, would like some advice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New to the game, would like some advice.

Hey guys, I'm trying to get into using a CNC for a hobby. Primarily to make molds for snowboards and longboards, as well create templates and make the final cuts.

Here is the CNC I will be using: Solsylva 25x37

I have Solidworks, so that's where I'll be modeling everything. So far I have trials of different software, and I like Cut3D for generating code, and I will probably be using Mach3 as a controller program.

Example of what I'd like to cut (screenshot from Cut3D):

Using the standard options (feed rate 10ipm, spindle speed 1200rpm, .5" end mill, .4in deep passes, .2 stepover 40%) the estimated cutting time is 15 hours...

Is that accurate? Can I step up the feed rate? I'll be cutting into mdf and/or insulation foam.

Also, if anyone can recommend a post-processor, that would be great. Thanks a bunch everyone, I never knew how complicated all this could be.

One more thing... does this have to be a 3D job? Seems like it needs to be, but 2.5D still kind of confuses me haha. would a 2D or 2.5D program make things quicker?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by frare bear View Post
    Hey guys, I'm trying to get into using a CNC for a hobby. Primarily to make molds for snowboards and longboards, as well create templates and make the final cuts.

Here is the CNC I will be using: Solsylva 25x37

I have Solidworks, so that's where I'll be modeling everything. So far I have trials of different software, and I like Cut3D for generating code, and I will probably be using Mach3 as a controller program.

Using the standard options (feed rate 10ipm, spindle speed 1200rpm, .5" end mill, .4in deep passes, .2 stepover 40%) the estimated cutting time is 15 hours...

Is that accurate? Can I step up the feed rate? I'll be cutting into mdf and/or insulation foam.

Also, if anyone can recommend a post-processor, that would be great. Thanks a bunch everyone, I never knew how complicated all this could be.

One more thing... does this have to be a 3D job? Seems like it needs to be, but 2.5D still kind of confuses me haha. would a 2D or 2.5D program make things quicker?
    10 inches per minute is very slow, and that is whats causing the long cut time. 40% stepover is slso very large and will leave a rough finish. When I do relief carving (small 1/8 cutter) I run 100 IPM and a 7-10% steppover.
    I guess you could call this 2.5D but you still need a program like Cut3d to process the toolpaths, the Z axis is in a constant state of motion.
    You should go to the Vectric web forum, you can pick up a lot of good info there.

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think Cut3D or MeshCam will work doing this type machining. Your feedrates and step over will determine the amount of time it takes to complete.
    Demos are available for the two programs I mentioned. Download'em and play.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the replies guys. I talked to another guy who said I should be able run anywhere from 150-500 ipm while cutting this out of vertically laminated plywood. Should be able to do it in an hour or 1.5 hours.

Cut3D seems to be amazing for the price.

I'll post up a pic when I get things running.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by frare bear View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I talked to another guy who said I should be able run anywhere from 150-500 ipm while cutting this out of vertically laminated plywood. Should be able to do it in an hour or 1.5 hours.

Cut3D seems to be amazing for the price.

I'll post up a pic when I get things running.
    Cut3D is great for the price. But you have to remember all of your design work will have to be done in a cad program. Cut3D cannot generate any shapes by its self. If you can do it all in Solidworks you are good to go.
    As for a post for Mach3, I use Mach2/3 arcs(inch) post. No problems.

Enjoy
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

I talked to another guy who said I should be able run anywhere from 150-500 ipm while cutting this out of vertically laminated plywood
    Your feedrates will be limited by the rigidity of your machine and the power of the spindle.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)