Waterfall like paths in Cut3d?

Thread: Waterfall like paths in Cut3d?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Waterfall like paths in Cut3d?

I've finished my machine build and am now trying to decide on a CAM package. My top two favorites right now are MeshCAM and Cut3D. I'm leaning slightly towards Cut3D because of the very helpful toolpath preview and their additional software offerings, which I may want to upgrade to later.

The one thing that I really like about MeshCAM is the "Waterfall" pass. Is that something unique to MeshCAM? Is there anything equivalent in the Vectric line?

It really just seems to make sense to follow the contour of the surface features like that. Of course, I can only judge from the simulations (and I am not very experienced), but it seems to get a lot better results without using extremely small step over settings (if I'm using the term right).

Perhaps I should be doing more of my parts as 2.5d instead, but the workflow I have going right now really lends itself to producing 3d parts as STL files.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think aspire has waterline, but its not cheap.

can you post pics of your parts ? Stl and 3d should really only be used for complex surfaces,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ugh, I hesitated to post this for two reasons. One, I don't know how well SketchUp will be received on this forum. And two, I'd like to avoid the "This should be done as 2d" conversation. I realize that this particular part is perfect for 2d, but my question remains.
    Does the waterfall path give cleaner results with a more efficient use of time and tools? And if I choose a CAM package that doesn't offer that, do I need to make other adjustments, such as step over?

This may sound ridiculous, but I'm currently trying to learn proper design for 2d machining. So far, in my world of 3d printing, modeling has been pretty easy as long as I respect the overhang limitations of my machine. And SketchUp is great...until you hit a functionality wall, like I have lately. So I am also looking for a new CAD program, but that's a whole other discussion.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, here's a better example. Definitely a 3D part, but I wouldn't want those holes to be jagged. Is that something that I should would have to be drilled/bored in a later process? Or should that be machinable in one g-code file?

BTW: Please ignore the side features. This is technically modeled with 3D printing in mind, and would have to be sliced differently. It's more just to show the geometry that I am concerned with.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sketchup is used by a lot of people here, but I personally don't recommend it.

As for waterline, it works best on steep and vertical surfaces, and not so good on flatter areas. With MeshCAM, you can set angles so one transitions into the other, or they overlap a little bit.
    Waterline definitely gives better results on vertical surfaces. It also allows you to cut your first part as a mostly 2D operation with MeshCAM.

No Vectric products offer waterline finishing. Aspire has an offset strategy, but it's not the same as waterline. But Aspire can do 2D machining and pocketing, which is a better choice for that part.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LaGrasta View Post

Ok, here's a better example. Definitely a 3D part, but I wouldn't want those holes to be jagged. Is that something that I should would have to be drilled/bored in a later process? Or should that be machinable in one g-code file?
    You can have multiple processes, or operations, in one g-code file. Or you can break it into multiple files, your choice. But the software may dictate the method you would use a bit.
    The holes would be smoother using a waterline operation, or a 2D operation if the CAM package permitted.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yy
    Quote Originally Posted by LaGrasta View Post

Ugh, I hesitated to post this for two reasons. One, I don't know how well SketchUp will be received on this forum. And two, I'd like to avoid the "This should be done as 2d" conversation. I realize that this particular part is perfect for 2d, but my question remains.
    Does the waterfall path give cleaner results with a more efficient use of time and tools? And if I choose a CAM package that doesn't offer that, do I need to make other adjustments, such as step over?

This may sound ridiculous, but I'm currently trying to learn proper design for 2d machining. So far, in my world of 3d printing, modeling has been pretty easy as long as I respect the overhang limitations of my machine. And SketchUp is great...until you hit a functionality wall, like I have lately. So I am also looking for a new CAD program, but that's a whole other discussion.
    Well I will say that for that particular part, I would draw 2 rectangles and 3 circles in 2D and run pocket/contour paths from a dxf which is much faster/simpler and smaller code by far than anything done from an stl file, waterline or not, and the part will have better finish and tolerances in the end. Drawing the part and generating toolpaths would literally take me 5 minutes or less.

I use Turbocad 15 deluxe ($15) for 2d and rhino for 3d, deskcnc for 2D/3D cam, and sometimes cut2d if I need tabs on the parts. All pretty simple and cheap.

You really cant be productive with a router or mill unless you have the option to do simple 2.5D machining. Lets say that part as an stl with a 3d tool path would take 30 minutes to machine, the same part as a dxf with pockets and contours would take 5 or less

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you just refer to Rhino as cheap? If so, I'm interested because I thought it was around $1000. Considering this is a hobby in my garage for now, that's not cheap for me.

I do have an older copy of TurboCAD and I was thinking of upgrading since they do offer a Mac version. I would love to be able to at least model on the Mac.

I'm sort of stuck right now on the CAD choice. If I am going to put time and effort into really learning a real CAD program, I'd like it to be something that is being actively used in the industry. But most of those are expensive. I think I'm most intrigued right now by SolidWorks and Rhino. But if TurboCAD works in a similar enough way for the knowledge to be applicable, that might be a good choice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Turbocad deluxe is great for 2d, Rhino is cheap with an educational license

Turbocad pro is pricey, and pretty much a must if you want 3d capability.

I dont think there is an industry standard for hobby grade in your garage to be honest.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, I'm sure there is quite a variety of approaches in garages. I just like to approach my learning in a professional way, even with my hobbies. I feel like I do better work when I take that approach. There are also so many resources out there when you find a tool that is used in real paid day to day work.

Unfortunately, in this hobby there seems to be a larger than I expected gap between the "pro-sumer" and professional software...both in price and complexity.

Downloads
    Uploads

la grasta...

what you posted that sphere with sinks.. i think bobcad, for the lowest, or some higher cost the visualmill would do for you..

for visualmill send email to mecsoft.. they also have hobbyist price..

both program can machine surfaces.. means you can select faces, or part of a solid and regard less of the surface angle what you set stepover that will be used on all surfaces,,

the offsetmachining what aspire use, that works better on sligth angled surfaces, the waterline machining works better on over 45 deg surfaces..