Vectric's new Cut2D - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vectric's new Cut2D

Downloads
    Uploads

Well done Tony and the crew at Vectric.

I believe this is a good move for Cut2D. It can now sit very well in the market it is aimed at.

Coupled with the upgrade path, for those that need it, to Vcarve Pro, makes this an attractive
    starting point in 2D routing and a very capable program in it's own right.

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tony,
    I got to say ditto to Greg's statement. Your 2D program is going to make a lot of happy customers. Had you offered that program last year, I'd have bought it.

But after saying that, I'm so glad I have the Pro version too, as it's got some great features. If I remember correctly, after about 8 months of using the Pro, I opted to purchase Cuts3D and the PhotoCarve.

Your product upgrade path worked great for me. I could try your software, then I bought one, then finally, I bought all of them.

So glad I did too.
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vcarve inlay option

Is there a inlay option that makes cutting inlays a simple task?

I understand you can make two vectors using a offset on one of them, I was wondering if the was a simpler method such as a toolpath offset feature?

Thank You

Jeff Alessi
    jalessi@aol.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tony, I'm very happy that you have added tabs to Cut2D. However, you have only added the capability to add tabs one at a time. I would really like to see automatic tabs as is available in VCarvePro.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I have tried it out, but for some reason I cannot find where you change the safe z level. My machine will does not have the ability to move 2" It was design for very thin materials and I can only move about 1.5"
    Is there a way to change this? am I missing it somewhere?
    I would love to but this, its so simple to use
    Thanks for all your help
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kram242 View Post
    Yes I have tried it out, but for some reason I cannot find where you change the safe z level. My machine will does not have the ability to move 2" It was design for very thin materials and I can only move about 1.5"
    Is there a way to change this? am I missing it somewhere?
    I would love to but this, its so simple to use
    Thanks for all your help
    Mark
    Toolpath Operations > Material Setup > Rapid Clearance gap (Z) and Home Positions (Z)

Hope that helps!

Downloads
    Uploads

Ahhh, found it!
    Thnak you sir
    This is a great program, I was able to cut a part after the first 10 min of using it.
    thanks
    Mark

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post

I understand you can make two vectors using a offset on one of them, I was wondering if the was a simpler method such as a toolpath offset feature?
    Thank You
    Jeff Alessi]
    Hello Jeff - Afriad Cut2D is not designed for cutting Inlays. If this is importnat then you will need to look at the other software products that include this as an automatic feature.

Quote Originally Posted by rgoldner View Post
    Tony, I'm very happy that you have added tabs to Cut2D. However, you have only added the capability to add tabs one at a time. I would really like to see automatic tabs as is available in VCarvePro.
    Hello rgoldner - To keep the price of Cut2D affordable we had to decide what functionality was key for general 2D machining and afraid Multiple Auto Tab placement didn't make the list.

Thanks for the great Tech Support assistance Juka

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jeff,
    I don't think Inlays are practical with Cut2D. I think the Pro version is need to do an Inlay correctly.

In the Pro version, the inlay object must be duplicated and one copy must be flipped into a mirrored image. There is a tutorial on the Vectrics webpage that shows how an Inlay is accomplished. I hope this helps.
    http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...ual_Inlays.avi
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post

Thank You

Jeff Alessi
    jalessi@aol.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Video

Dave,

Thank You very much, the video is just what the doctor ordered!

Awesome

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Inlay tolerances or fit

Gentleman,

Is it possible to maintain a consistent .002 clearance between the pocket and the inlay using the method on the video?

Thank You

Jeff Alessi

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jeff,
    I'm not sure I understand where you want the .002 clearance. I'll let a more experienced Inlay guru speak up, but I'll say that the tapered method of VcarvePro Inlay, has a zero tolerance. Except for the bottom flat, which doesn't contact at all.

If you are planning to do inlays with Cuts2D, then pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! Yes, I can understand your desire to hold a tight tolerance.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default tapered method

Dave,

The tapered method wont work for my aplication.

What I mean by .002 fit is a gap between the inlay and pocket.

I was hoping there might be someone here doing inlay work that would be able to give a definitive answer.

Thank You

Jeff Alessi
    jalessi@aol.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jeff,

The clearance gap between male and female parts on an inlay can be accurately controlled using either the offset or by specifying slightly larger / smaller cutter diameters than are actually used to machien the parts.

There are a number of posts on the Vectric Forum by customers doing very precise inlay work with VCarve Pro. See,

http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5530#5530

http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11072#11072

http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18470#18470

I hope this helps,

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Inlay Process

Tony,

Will the cut2d also work for the inlays?

I am assuming you would set the cutter size smaller than the actual cutter diameter in the software.

I am also assuming this technique would only be used to cut the pocket?

Thank You

Jeff Alessi
    jalessi@aol.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cut2D is designed to convert designs into CNC toolpaths / GCode and doesn't include the option to offset geometry / vectors. Design will need offsetting in either the originating CAD software or a package like VCarve Pro, to ensure the correct cutter radius is applied to both external and internal corners, to allow parts to fit together after machining.

It's important to remember that it's possible to cut sharp external corners ie around the outside of a rectangle, but this shape will not fit into a recessed pocket that will always include the cutter radius in any corner regions. Hence, the option to offset the artwork / design to eliminate sharp corners is critical for inlay work - and Cut2D does not include the offset tool.

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Tony,

You did not answer my second question.

I am assuming you would set the cutter size smaller than the actual cutter diameter in the software.

I will look at the 3d software.

Thank You

Jeff Alessi
    jalessi@aol.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=jalessi;431866]

QUOTE]

Jeff,

Yes - you could specify a smaller diameter cutter in the software, so the actual, larger cutter overcuts to give you the clearance gap.

However, if you have the option to offset the vectors then you simply offset by the additional clearance distance and machine to size with the actual size cutter. VCarve Pro also includes the option to Profile machine the 'male' insert with a negative allowance = overcut the piece by 0.002" for the gap allowance.

I will repeat that Cut2D is not the tool for doing inlay work unless you prepare the artwork design in another CAD / VCarve Pro / design package to allow for the corner rads and clearance gap.

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Default VCarve Pro Purchase

Tony,

Thank you for the precise information and direction.

I am helping a friend that has no CNC experience to make a software purchasing decision.

His application for the software will be strictly inlays.

I am recommending your VCarve Pro product to him based on the information you and others have graciously provided on this thread and a little bit of time doing a product evaluation.

Have a most awesome weekend!

Jeff Alessi

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,
    Here are some parts I made today using Cut2D with the new interactive tabs option.
    This option is so easy to implement and change the location as needed with the drag and drop placement, I see no need for automatic tabs. I cut 3 parts in this blank of
    .090" aluminum and the tabs worked great. I will probably eliminate the tabs in the cutouts without any problems. I only used .042" thick by .062" tabs and it took minimal time to clean up where the tabs were. The ramping option for the Z plunges is also a good feature. Take a look!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Regards,

Last edited by metalworkz; 03-30-2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: word change
    Regards,
    Wes

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast