Cut2D Finish pass

Thread: Cut2D Finish pass

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cut2D Finish pass

Hey guys I know cut2d doesn't handle finish passes natively.

So here is my question I'm looking for a full depth finish pass (.200) to clean up the edges, instead of resizing the hole can I tell cut2d I'm running a different size cutter? Lets say .250 end mill,if I do another profile with .200 depth using .247 bit would that work or would it need to be .253,can't get my head around it.
    Final size of hole is decorative so the extra .003 won't mater. My mill is a POS and need a way to make a final pass in one operation to clean it up.

I'm open to other thoughts.
    Can't wait till I get my Hurco finished!!!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you do the the circle with a .250 tool and you tell cut2d the tool is .247 instead, it will make your pocket .003 larger, if your using a profile cut. I would do two circles and use the same tool, make the first hole .003 smaller then make the second circle to size thet way you don't have to call up a second tool.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure if cut2d has the same option as vcarve pro but I use the allowance offset to rough and finish with the same tool.
    +.020 leaves .01per surface
    -.005 takes .0025 additional off each surface and allows for undersize cutters.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry I was going to ask about your hurco build, then I saw it, impressive.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by br1 View Post
    If you do the the circle with a .250 tool and you tell cut2d the tool is .247 instead, it will make your pocket .003 larger, if your using a profile cut. I would do two circles and use the same tool, make the first hole .003 smaller then make the second circle to size thet way you don't have to call up a second tool.
    That is what I was thinking....going to try it now. I will try using the normal mill for rough cut then small mill for a full depth single pass. I will let you guys know. I didn't want to change the drawing,to many rectangle holes.
    Thanks
    Here is an example I did today. It was done with .125 bit and it cuts ok,but if this works I will use it on everything for now.
    Cut2D Finish pass-pb060098-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
    Not sure if cut2d has the same option as vcarve pro but I use the allowance offset to rough and finish with the same tool.
    +.020 leaves .01per surface
    -.005 takes .0025 additional off each surface and allows for undersize cutters.
    No it doesn't have the fancy features. Going to upgrade once mill is finished.

Sorry I was going to ask about your hurco build, then I saw it, impressive.
    Thanks! I swear I'm going to work on it this week.
    Every time I fire up my China mill or should I say drill press...I look over at the Hurco with a tear in my eye.

Downloads
    Uploads

that way you don't have to call up a second tool.
    You are right! When you said I would need to call up a new tool,just never registered until I tried to save G-code as one file and Cut2D said NO.

Hey it's same tool!
    It did work with 2 code files one "rough" and "final" but is WAY to risky (at least for me) changing between codes. Only four parts but each have 6 sides that's 24 chances to start with final pass with plunge at 10 ipm to .240 depth with 1.8" end mill....I'm guessing something would break.

I will definitely just change drawing to compensate for the final pass on the next set.

Thanks for your help!

Downloads
    Uploads

Since you are using the same physical tool why don't you manually merge the two code files. 5 minutes with a text editor and you are ready to go.

bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Great Idea! That I will do.

Thanks