Need Help! Upgrading the Syil X4 plus controller to enable win7

Thread: Upgrading the Syil X4 plus controller to enable win7

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Upgrading the Syil X4 plus controller to enable win7

Hi guys!

I think i'm not the first, not the last and not alone with this.

I just got the Syil X4 Plus from a friend of mine running the Mach3 on XP.

I'd like to get everything from Fusion360 to Mach 3 to run under same windows, and as far as I know (That's no a lot) The parallel port adapter will not have any drivers available for anything higher than XP.

Should I go ahead and upgrade the whole motion control to Hicon Integra or similar to get the system up to 2010's ???

The xp is so weak and poor, that it makes more harm than good really.

What are the options here, that I have to play with and what would be the best way to start the upgrading?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Upgrading the Syil X4 plus controller to enable win7

So... I've just ordered the Vital Hicon Integra for a Syil X4 Plus. It's going to be a difficult knitting job to get it set up in place. I'd be interested in what you have considered/done so far.

Incidentally, I'm using a Warp9 ESS (Ethernet smooth stepper) with Mach3 on Windows 10 at the moment (have been for 6 months) & it's been fine. So if the OS is an issue for you then there is a less troublesome route you can take. Happy to explain more.

Pete

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok so today is THE day when the WinXP finally decided to die. We managed to get mach3 settings out of the pc, as we have Win7 running in parallel with the XP.

Are we now facing the fact, that the X4 Plus is pretty much useless without the XP?

How can we get the thing running in Win7 or higher?

I'm pretty sure we need to update the motion controller to something like SmoothStepper ethernet, because we can't get the Mach3 to talk with the cnc in win7 64bit.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rotary84 View Post

What are the options here, that I have to play with and what would be the best way to start the upgrading?
    I completed the Vital Integra upgrade. It's not too troublesome. Though a few gotchas. I'm running windows 10 with Mach4 presently.

Prior to this I was using ESS on Windows 10 with mach3. It's very workable & all was fine until one of the boards supplied with the Syil failed - hence the upgrade.

In summary - the upgrade required all boards in the Syil to be removed after labeling the wires. The front control display and buttons were replaced with a single steel plate (painted yellow obviously) with an e-stop button. Both relays were swapped out to be compatible with the Integra. A rotary encoder fitted to the spindle motor for threading.

If you need pointers then I'm very happy to help.

Pete

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by petemilligan View Post
    I completed the Vital Integra upgrade. It's not too troublesome. Though a few gotchas. I'm running windows 10 with Mach4 presently.

Prior to this I was using ESS on Windows 10 with mach3. It's very workable & all was fine until one of the boards supplied with the Syil failed - hence the upgrade.

In summary - the upgrade required all boards in the Syil to be removed after labeling the wires. The front control display and buttons were replaced with a single steel plate (painted yellow obviously) with an e-stop button. Both relays were swapped out to be compatible with the Integra. A rotary encoder fitted to the spindle motor for threading.

If you need pointers then I'm very happy to help.

Pete

I’m deffo interested, as the machine is truly a vital part of our current operations in our small workshop.

Can you walk me through the steps of getting the parts needed and possibly share some config and build info?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I documented much of this. I'll hunt it down. In the meantime, here is a pic of it in the machine.

Upgrading the Syil X4 plus controller to enable win7-img_20181029_205652-jpgUpgrading the Syil X4 plus controller to enable win7-img_20181029_205632-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading the Syil X4 plus controller to enable win7-img_20181029_205652-jpg   Upgrading the Syil X4 plus controller to enable win7-img_20181029_205632-jpg