Need plug to connect router to parallel port

Thread: Need plug to connect router to parallel port

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need plug to connect router to parallel port

What is strange about it? Otherwise, a DB24 mail is normally what's used, and that can be bought in almost any shop selling electronic parts or on eBay. You have to solder it. If you want to get an adapter we must know how your end looks like and what is strange about it. Post a picture.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    What is strange about it? Otherwise, a DB24 mail is normally what's used, and that can be bought in almost any shop selling electronic parts or on eBay. You have to solder it. If you want to get an adapter we must know how your end looks like and what is strange about it. Post a picture.
    Can you make me a cord to go from normal parallel port to this db24 plug. Email me at worm@cenpen.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Any pictures of this "strange parallel plug"? Curiosity won't let me sleep tonight until I see it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cenpen View Post
    Can you make me a cord to go from normal parallel port to this db24 plug. Email me at worm@cenpen.com
    Post a picture of your contact. There is no DB24 plug, or at least I don't know any, only DB25 which is the standard parallel port, also called printer port connection. So unless you post a picture, I can't say if I can make an adapter or not, but in any case, I doubt you'd be ready to pay my price for such cable, but if I needed one, I am 100% certain that I could make one, I have no doubts about that. You have to try someone locally who can make one for you, maybe try to find a local electronic repair shop, where they still use soldering iron and can REALLY repair electronics the good old traditional way and ask them to make one for you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    Any pictures of this "strange parallel plug"? Curiosity won't let me sleep tonight until I see it.
    Here is plug on machine

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need plug to connect router to parallel port-image-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

at first sight it looks like a 36 way centronics connector found on older printers
    Need plug to connect router to parallel port-36-way-centronics-printer-cable-jpg
    but its got too many connections with 50 terminals its more like the 50 way scsi connector found on old hard drives
    Need plug to connect router to parallel port-centronics_50_scsi_connector-jpg

is the machine 2nd hand ?
    if so are you sure your not missing a control box or some thing

John

Last edited by john-100; 10-12-2016 at 04:12 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a CN50 male connector.

Here is plug on machine
    Yes, it is strange to have it on this type of machine, unless it is intended to be connected to a control box, or directly to a SCSI card. I don't know what kind of machine you have, so this is just a wild guess but...

...how about trying this one:

Need plug to connect router to parallel port-db25m-cn50f__05451-1472662040-1280-900-jpg

https://www.ramelectronics.net/adt21064a.aspx

Of course, it assumes that there is actually a BOB inside your machine and that it is wired right, but you have nothing to lose except a few dollars.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    at first sight it looks like a 36 way centronics connector found on older printers
    Need plug to connect router to parallel port-36-way-centronics-printer-cable-jpg
    but its got too many connections with 50 terminals its more like the 50 way scsi connector found on old hard drives
    Need plug to connect router to parallel port-centronics_50_scsi_connector-jpg

is the machine 2nd hand ?
    if so are you sure your not missing a control box or some thing

John
    It is used and has a control handheld.. We would like to run mach3 on a computer though to control it

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is used and has a control handheld.. We would like to run mach3 on a computer though to control it
    We tried a centronics 36 pin and it was not even close

Downloads
    Uploads

Whatever you do, don't just find some random adapter and plug it in! You need to figure out what the pin out of the connector is... what signal is on what pin. At that point, you might as well replace it with a more standard connection.

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Downloads
    Uploads

We tried a centronics 36 pin and it was not even close
    Yes, well, it is NOT a Centronics 36 pin, it is a 50 pin connector, so of course, you can't use that. How does the other end of the cable looks like? Are you sure that it can be controlled by an ordinary PC with parallel port? What kind of a machine is that? Have you tried to contact the manufacturer or the agent? Didn't you receive a manual with the machine?

CNC Router - CNC routers Manufacturers Suppliers from Redsail CHINA

As James say... don't connect it unless you have the knowledge. Making an adapter is easy, and as you can see, you can even buy readily made ones, but that does not warranty it will work.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Yes, well, it is NOT a Centronics 36 pin, it is a 50 pin connector, so of course, you can't use that. How does the other end of the cable looks like? Are you sure that it can be controlled by an ordinary PC with parallel port? What kind of a machine is that? Have you tried to contact the manufacturer or the agent? Didn't you receive a manual with the machine?

CNC Router - CNC routers Manufacturers Suppliers from Redsail CHINA

As James say... don't connect it unless you have the knowledge. Making an adapter is easy, and as you can see, you can even buy readily made ones, but that does not warranty it will work.
    The machine is a red sail RS-1318 and tried getting from manufacturer but could not. They gave me the pin locations to drive the motors being x 2-3, y 4-5, and z 6-7.. So I plan to check the adapter and verify the 1 pin is 1 etc up through the numbers. If they are we can try to get mach3 to run machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The machine is a red sail RS-1318 and tried getting from manufacturer but could not. They gave me the pin locations to drive the motors being x 2-3, y 4-5, and z 6-7.. So I plan to check the adapter and verify the 1 pin is 1 etc up through the numbers. If they are we can try to get mach3 to run machine
    Ok, we got the 50 pin plug today and it doesn't fit.. Can someone direct me to a business that will get me the correct board to wire the machine for a parallel port on a desktop to run mach3. I want to eliminate the handheld

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, we got the 50 pin plug today and it doesn't fit.. Can someone direct me to a business that will get me the correct board to wire the machine for a parallel port on a desktop to run mach3. I want to eliminate the handheld
    The picture you posted shows a male connector. Did you get a female type? Why doesn't it fit? Picture?

Never the less, if you are 100% sure that it is controlled by an ordinary PC parallel port then you should be able to figure it out which is which. I think it is pretty unserious of a seller not to give you better support than that regarding the connection. Basically, he sold you a useless machine unless you can connect and run it. Did he at least give you a complete list of connections? You say that "pin locations to drive the motors being x 2-3, y 4-5, and z 6-7.. " but what does that mean?

x 2-3 => which is step which is direction?
    y 4-5 => which is step which is direction?
    z6-7 => which is step which is direction?

Which is the limit switch, the E-stop and the Enable signals? How about spindle relay or other signals to control the spindle motor?

I can't help you with a local business, but in my opinion it would be best to open the box and check the other end of the cable, how it is connected and to what. It is not possible to guess for anyone how your machine must be connected without a manual or a lot of diagnostic work. If it was my machine I'd open it and would replace that cable, but there is no way anyone can guess. You have to ask the manufacturer for documentation. The support you have been given so far is crap, unless you actually have a full set of documents.