Need Help! Help with Novusun NVEM control card - Page 6

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with Novusun NVEM control card

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Xieo View Post
    So all the problems I mentioned here will be gone with 32 bit operating system? ?
    On my router yes. Limits may take a bit more tinkering but I would definitely recommend trying it first.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with Novusun NVEM control card

Hi all

New to the thread and wishing I'd read this before buying one of these cards ...

I was using one of the AKZ250 USB controllers with no issues so I thought I'd upgrade to an ethernet based NVEM V2 to tidy up my setup.

I've got it running but there are a couple of things that I've noticed that may help others make a more informed choice regarding these controllers :-

1> The controller doesn't get an IP address via DHCP - The manual says the subnet is 192.168.31.xxx - fortunately I run a managed switch which tells me that the IP of the controller is actually 192.168.1.100 so I added a secondary IP address to the computer interface in the correct subnet and all's good.

2> Occasionally, the computer and controller loose their connection - I've disabled link speed auto negotiation on my switch which seems to have fixed this one for now.

3> The analog output for the spindle is very slow to respond - the built in filter response is shocking, taking upwards of 5 seconds to spin up to speed. The rather poorly written manual claims that this can be changed from the default analog output to PWM but fails to say how - any help here would be appreciated

4> The NVEM also reports finishing a move before it actually has and seems like there are a few moves buffered - not a big deal during normal operation but it's a major issue when trying to AutoZero a tool as the controllers command position has no relation to it's actual position - for example, if you use a script to find the probe, zero the DRO and move away from the probe, the moves are buffered and the DRO is reset before the first move has completed resulting in the zero point being incorrect. I've got round this by using a dwell command after the moves to let the physical machine catch up and it works pretty well.

The bigger issue with this one is that when you use the Mach3 stop button to halt a run, the spindle is shut off before the buffered moves have finished so you end up with a stationary tool being dragged across the workpiece!

Hope someone finds this information useful - has anyone else experienced these issues and if so, how did you fix them?

Rgds,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey!

I've had a router for several years and recently decided to upgrade to a real spindle. Picked up the 2.2wk water cooled with the HY inverter. I was having trouble with my NVUM - no output signals working- so I decided to try the NVEM to see if that would solve the problem.

After struggling through many of the problems described above, I finally got everything working correctly. One thing I just stumbled upon was that I had to set me static IP to 192.168.01.10 rather than the 31 described in the manual and many prior posts. not sure why this is but it worked for mine?

I'm finally getting around to connecting the inverter and spindle but again find I cannot register any voltage on any of the outputs. Since this is the second board with the same result, I have to believe it's not the boards but a setting somewhere.

I have the outputs set to port 2 as outlined in the Novusun manual, set the fwd signal to output 1 rev to output 2, and coolant to out 4 (plan to use this for a relay to bring up the coolant pump). I can bring up the spindle and coolant signal and it shows a flashing red "light" on the Diagnostics page for output 1 and 4 which I assume means they're active? If I put a voltmeter to the outputs and ground I get nothing. Also getting nothing on the VSO for spindle speed.

Motor Outputs
    Spindle is enabled but ports and pins are set to 0

Output Signals
    Output #1 is enabled, set to port 2 and pin 1
    Output #2 is enabled set to port 2 and pin 2
    Output #4 is enabled set to port 2 and pin 4

Spindle Setup
    Realy Control
    Spindle relay is enabled
    Clockwise is set to out #1
    Counterclockwise is set to #2
    Flood Mist Control enabled
    both set to out #4
    Motor Control
    Use Motor Output is checked
    PWM Control is checked

Any ideas what I may be missing?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by juzbip View Post
    Hey!

I've had a router for several years and recently decided to upgrade to a real spindle. Picked up the 2.2wk water cooled with the HY inverter. I was having trouble with my NVUM - no output signals working- so I decided to try the NVEM to see if that would solve the problem.

Any ideas what I may be missing?
    Hi!
    Have you programmed the inverter and changed the jumper position to PWM control?
    I tried this feature and it works BUT I decided not to use PWM and to control the RPM manually because NVEM PWM is very slow and hard to configure to get a correct RPM.

My IMHO is - NVxM is a good IDEA but with a terrible realization and support! There are too many copies on the market, it is impossible to find the real developer contact and to get support/bug fixes...
    I made another mistake buying a NVMPG which as I learned later also has two versions (both have no note which version it is and it is a lottery which version you will receive if you will order it separately) which are compatible only with a correspondent controller versions.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Yury_D View Post
    Hi!
    Have you programmed the inverter and changed the jumper position to PWM control?
    I tried this feature and it works BUT I decided not to use PWM and to control the RPM manually because NVEM PWM is very slow and hard to configure to get a correct RPM.
    Thanks Yuri!

I haven't even got to the point where I want to try to connect the inverter since I cannot measure any output signal from the NVEM. I'd prefer to validate the voltage with a meter prior to connecting just to make sure I don't do any irreparable damage.

Ill agree with the terrible support comment. I've successfully operated with the NVUM and NVEM and find them to both work great... once you figure out the correct plugin and get all of the settings correct! If it wasn't for these forums, I'd have given up long ago.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all!

Recently I have successfully implemented NVEM 4 axis card to a Mach3 controlled milling machine. So far everything seems great, motion is smooth, I/O works OK.

The only trobule I have is backlash compensation, which I cannot figure out how to enable.
    Mach3 Backlash compensation will not work with external IO cards as I understand so far, so the only solution would be to have an option on NVEM board.

Has anyone experienced same issues and found a solution for this?

Backlash is minimal, but noticeable, so it is quite annoying.

Best Regards,
    Alex

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi @ all,

I decided to switch my CNC from a flimsy GRBL controlled one, to a more solid one.
    For this, I "dared" to buy a NVEM, but the V2 (newer version, driver seems to be not compatible with V1.1)

My setup is Mach3 + NVEM v2 + 3*DQ542MA + 3*Nema23 + 1.5kW VFD/Spindle

Up till now, I found a couple of problems, and it would be great if someone can double-check with a V1.1 if these are there too (and maybe provide some insight on how to mitigate them)

• the controller will only move at 2/3 (66%) of the specified speed. If F1000 is specified in the g-code, Mach3 will output 666mm/min, if F3000 is specified, Mach3 will output 2000mm/min. This is not related to the motor settings, since its displayed at "unites/mm" in the Feed-Section of Mach3. So the controller moves slower that what is specified. Using a DB25 BOB, I'm able to achieve the specified speed with the same settings.
    • DHCP is not working 90% of the time. The controller will not reliably obtain an IP from a DHCP server, regardless which kind of router used. In addition, the LAN-port is not correctly isolated from the power supply, since powering the controller with 24V will also have 24V on the LAN port, basically common ground (which fried a LAN port of my expensive AVM router while trying to use DHCP)
    • Slow Zone setting for Soft Limits is not working. The Slow Zone parameter seems to be not recognized at all, which causes the machine to hit the soft limit at full speed, and by doing so exceeding the soft limit since the machine needs more time to slow down.
    • When soft-limit is hit with G-Code, coordinate system is messed up: When hitting a softlimit with G-code, the controller will stop the movement as supposed to, but after that the coordinates are no longer correct. Using G-code, it will only allow movement for small increments, always displaying that softlimit is still exceeded, even if not. Using keyboard, movement is ok. The controller will not recover (even when manually zeroing) until complete power cycle or reset and homing again
    • Sporadic disconnect, NVEM no longer reachable: after about 90 minutes the NVEM looses connection. Mach3 displays "device not ready", and NVEM is no longer recognized, plugin-config displays "unknown". LAN port still shows activity, LED is flashing. Only a power cycle of the NVEM does fix this. Then, even without restarting Mach3, all is working again
    • Single block mode is not displaying correctly: When using single block mode, the selected line is not displayed. The line cursor is jumping through the g-code, not highlighting the current line or the next which is executed.
    • Probe command G31 not working as supposed to. When using G31 to probe a surface for autolevelling, the controller will hang after 5 - 10 G31 commands, not executing any more G-code. Sometimes it's even skipping lines of G-code which are after the G31 commands. NVEM will only recover after a reset, only working for a couple of G31 again. In addition, for some G31 probing commands, even when probe is hit (digitize LED lit in Mache) the probing cycle will not stop until the maximum depth is hit
    • G31 probe command not working at all.The Mach3 G31 probe command is not executed correctly.The controller will move the axis specified in the G31 command, but will not report back the coordinates at which probe was triggered.So there is no probing functionality, since offset cannot be set. This might be the worst problem so far.

Rather long post... but replies are appreciated never the less :-)

Thx & regards,
    David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi everyone, i saw that i'm not the only one with the over ride and limit switch problem, i also saw that Miky's4u2 have a beta plugin to resolve this issu but i'm not able to download it, is there anybody out there that could sent it to me it seem to be the: Beta NVEM Driver _P (Released 23/05/2017).

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi there. One newbie question. This is my first cnc build, so last night I decided just to connect all 4 steppers to drivers and controler. Controler is ethernet NVEM Novusun. So i managed to get it all to work last night. But this morning nothing seems to work. Last night I have setup static IP so i think the problem is not related to it. I am conectig directly with crossover cable. So now when i click reset and try to jog it just says device not ready. By the way controler is v2 with the latest plugin novusun nvem ver 3.0b. Thx

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Bepo,

have you tried power-cycling the NVEM while being connected to the PC (Mach3 running, or not)?

As I've mentioned 2 posts above yours, the "device not ready" is something I've experienced too, after a random time, the NVEM will stop responding, but not being disconnected (different message in Mach3)
    Sporadic disconnect, NVEM no longer reachable: after about 90 minutes the NVEM looses connection. Mach3 displays "device not ready", and NVEM is no longer recognized, plugin-config displays "unknown". LAN port still shows activity, LED is flashing. Only a power cycle of the NVEM does fix this. Then, even without restarting Mach3, all is working again
    NVEM V2 does have some benefits compared to V1.1 (soft-limits working at least somehow, etc.) but there a lot of other hiccups

Would be great if you could also have a look at my "defect-list" to see if those apply to your setup too.

Regards,
    David.

BTW: you won't necessarily need a crossover LAN cable if your port supports Auto-MDI-X (Gigabit support it for sure) and CAT6 cable

Downloads
    Uploads

HI Guys,
    Just to add to the mix of issues with the NEVM, On the MACH3 diagnostic page, my PULSE FREQUENCY shows as "EXTERNAL" and I get no response from any of the steppers or the spindle. Does anyone know how to change this to the 25K+ that it should be???? Changing the frequency on the ports & pins screen has no effect.
    Thanks in advance for your help in solving this.
    Regards Jeff

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jeff,

the "EXTERNAL" is ok if you're using the NVEM.
    This just indicates, that the external motion controller (for example the NVEM) will take care of generating the pulses, and Mach3 won't have to send them via parallel port.
    This also means, that whatever you set as frequency in the config is ignored, and the motion controller will use its own frequency.

For the steppers, just some stupid questions/remarks:
    Have you enabled the needed axis in the ports&pin config (green check-mark, what you set as dir and step is ignored, since this will also be handled by the NVEM)
    Have you configured your axis in the motor tuning config?
    Are the coordinates changing in the DROs? If not, are they if you switch to default printer port (Fuction Cfgs => Reset Device Sel)

Regards,
    David

Downloads
    Uploads

HI David,
    Thanks for helping me.
    In ports & Pins, 3 axis are enabled along with the spindle. Step port & Dir Port are set to 1's.
    None of the axis change when putting in G code on the diagnostics screen.
    On the Motor tuning screen. slide bars make blue line disappear off screen, and do not come back unless you press the axis button., 2 lines on the axis screens (one positive slope, one negative slope) and only one on the spindle. If I try and change the Step Pulse (currently @ 5), the pgrm crashes.
    Does this mean that the SW on the stepper driver are wrong??? They are set for (2.8 Amps, Full current, 128 Microsteps) The drivers are M542H units. The Spindle driver is NVBDH+
    At one point (in the beginning of the debug), I loaded the V2.0 DLL and was able to get the normal motor movement profile.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Regards Jeff

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jeff,

then we need to take this one step-by-step.
    Since you've posted to this thread, we can safely assume that you own a NVEM motion controller.
    If you have a V1.1, you'll need to copy the latest plugin ("NVEM_F.dll" latest official, there is a Beta-P version via PM to miky4u2) to the Mach3 plugin folder.
    If you own a V2 (has a sticker with "V2" on it), the plugin is called "Novosun_NVEM.dll")
    Both can be downloaded from manufacturer site.
    When starting Mach3, make sure the correct plugin is selected (for V1.1 its called "NVEM_F-Novusun-PlugIn-Ver-2.0a", for V2 it's called "Novusun_NVEM-Novusun-PlugIn-Ver-3.0b"

If you don't get the plugin selection prompt when starting Mach3, re-enable this by clicking "Function Cfgs => Reset Device Sel" within Mach3 menu.

If you've come so far, without errors in the Mach3 log ("History" button lower left corner) then try hitting the arrow-keys on your keyboard and see what happens.
    And then post back

Regards,
    David

Downloads
    Uploads

HI David,
    I was using the V2.0a DLL, but went and found your NVEM_F copy. It works the same as described above.
    I also tried the "driver test" pgm that's in the MACH3 dir. It says "no driver sensed installed. Run driver test".
    The activity light at the ethernet port is flashing (so that should be working). The machine is directly connected to the computer ethernet port which is set to 192.168.31 20.
    I just tried pushing the E-Stop button and got nothing on the diag screen. E-Stop setup as enabled, port 1, pin 1, active low., no hot key.
    Starting to think that something is wrong with the controller. Any way to test that??
    Thanks once more for sticking with me.
    Regards Jeff

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HI Jeff,

fist: do you get a message in the Mach3 status log like "NVEM connected...." or something like that after starting Mach3?
    If not, then either the IP which is set does not work, or a firewall might block the connection to the NVEM.
    You might try setting a different IP, with proper subnet.
    (my V2 version uses 192.168.1.0/17, not 192.168.31.0/16 with 255.255.255.0 subnet mask)

The LEDs on the NVEMs network socket will flash if a cable is connected (on both ends ), even if no connection could be established.
    The chances are high that your NVEM is just "not connected", since you're getting no response at all, neither motor nor inputs.

Check if you can see some valid information in the NVEM plugin config settings screen... like number of maximum supported axis correctly displayed, and version number of the NVEM.
    If there are a lot of "-" (minus), then you're not connected.

Regards,
    David

Downloads
    Uploads

HI David,
    Changed the IP to 192.168.1.17. Then to 192.168.1.50 Same results. I have never gotten the device connected msg. The computer is directly connected (straight cable) to the NVEM unit. Do you know what addr I can ping the NVEM at??
    I am running the NVEM at 12 volts, and saw someplace that maybe I should be running it at 24 volts. I can try that next.
    When I go to the Plugin Control & Activation screen, and click on config next to the V2.0a. it open dialog about DDREAM buffer =200; jog buffer=200 and nothing else
    Otherwise, sounds like this NVEM is not working, and maybe I should look at getting the V2 unit.
    Regards Jeff

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jeff,

NVEM should run 12-32V, even if it is sometimes referenced as 18-32V.
    The microcontroller will start running at 9V (not reliable)
    If setting an IP (for the V1.1 version, the 192.168.31.10 and up should do) does not get a connection, it might be firewall or cable related.
    I've already mentioned, that newer LAN ports do work with default and crossover cables, maybe yours is not.

From what I know, you can't ping the NVEM, since ping is a software implementation and is not supported by NVEM microcontroller... I was not able to ping my NVEM, even though it is connected.

For the plugin config screen, that was my miss... I've messed up the differences between V1.1 and V2 screen.

Try setting a "31" IP again, disable windows firewall, maybe try a different PC or laptop (just for connection testing), different network cable, other PSU...
    but honestly, don't buy a V2
    If I'd known about the problems and limitations of these controllers beforehand, I would have never even considered it.
    If I'm not able to somehow negotiate for an updated driver of the V2, I will discard it, because G31 (probe), in detail multi-point probing for auto-leveling is what I need.

If you want to have a multi purpose controller like the NVEM, the AKZ250 (now also being sold as E-CUT or something like that) are better, but USB, and also have some limitations, but at least they have some basic functionality.
    If you really want to have a stable controller, SmoothStepper (200$) or the UC400ETH (140$) are something for you.

Regards,
    David

Downloads
    Uploads

HI David,
    It looks like the UC400ETH could be a good alternative. Found it for $160 on Amazon. Where did you see it for $140?
    The HBB2 breakout board is $50 which is pricey, might wind up building my own.
    I am not a fan of USB controllers, but other than the AKZ250 do you know of one that works?
    Thanks
    Regards Jeff

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jeff,

it was on E**y, a reseller located in Europe... but shipping to the US will take about 35$
    The original board manufacturer is from Hungary.
    HBB2 BOB is kind of wasted money in my opinion... if I want Opto-isolation for the inputs, even a cheap Chinese BOB for 5$ will do (or some DIP sized Optos I could solder myself)
    And the wire length from the controller to the stepper drivers isn't that long that I would need RJ45 and LAN cable

For USB controllers:
    I received negative feedback for DDREAM/DDUM boards, but not tested them myself
    I had been running the AKZ250 for nearly 2 years without any problems (the G31 problem aside, which is pretty common for USB controllers), but then the board had some unfortunate "accident" with some aluminum chippings since the board is unprotected, that's also why I thought the NVEM would be a good choice
    The UC100 is a basic USB to parallel adapter, which works... but you are bound to the parallel port limitations, so max 5 inputs (the UC400ETH maps LAN to two parallel ports, so 10 inputs in total)
    Aside those mentioned, I have no dedicated information on other controllers...

I'm currently considering the UC300ETH (5 parallel ports, 3 of them bi-directional) or the Ethernet Smoothstepper
    Both of them have confirmed G31 capabilities, the UC300ETH even has analog output, which would be useful for my VFD, the ESS can use a BOB which does this (cheap Chinese one which I already have)
    But both of them are "slightly more pricy"
    So this has to wait until it is confirmed that there will be no updated driver for the V2 in a foreseeable future.

Regards,
    David

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast