Need Help! Help with Novusun NVEM control card - Page 2

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with Novusun NVEM control card

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with Novusun NVEM control card

I think this is a wast of money and time , for me was , i have now an uc400 eth ,far away more better .

Downloads
    Uploads

what breakout board are you using? any photos?

Cheers ryan

Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/deskcn...-1205-bob.html
    This is a generic board , but i make an order for 2 bob's from aliexpress with 5 channels and a relay .

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd better followup on my earlier post. I eventually received the CNC6040 , added 6 limit/home switches, rewired the steppers with shielded cables, made sure everything was properly grounded, and replaced the parallel breakout board with the NVEM . Totally new to mach3 and CNC in general so i lost some hair in the process :-)
    - The card arrived without documentation or driver but the seller sent a link to download . Documentation is in Chinglish but overall not too bad.
    - Unless you use a router you need to assign a static IP (given in documentation) to the computer local network interface (i use Win7 64bit). While i was there i removed all useless protocols on the interface and only left TCP/IP 4.
    - Allow mach3 and public network in firewall ( better to just disable firewall completely to start , it saves debugging time)
    - Set computer power saving settings to never go to sleep , otherwise it seems to fail reconnecting to the NVEM on wake up .
    - Drop the NVEM.dll pluggin in mach3's plugin folder
    - start cnc controller first, the NVEM first tries to get an IP via DHCP so if it is connected directly to the computer it takes 15 seconds or so to fall back to 'direct connection' , then start mach3.

After starting mach3 and selecting the "Novusun NVEM" plugin, there should be a message next to the "reset" button that says "connected to NVEM.... " if there is no message , don't go further, recheck IP & firewall .

I followed the documentation to enable the axis, inputs, outputs , scratched my head a bit with setting the limit/home switches and the step motor parameters cause i never done that before. Getting the PWD working correctly for the spindle took me for ever but eventually got that going too.

I'm not ready to use a real cutting tool yet but i loaded some Gcode examples and run them , i haven't encountered any "weird things" , axis motions are fast and smooth and i dont think there is any missed steps.

I'm a newby so I don't have anything to compare this card to anything else , but so far it seems to work as expected. The issues i'm having so far are because of my lack of knowledge with Mach3 and other equipment , not with the card itself .

One issue left, when i set a switch to be a limit, it works as expected , when i set it as a home for the axis instead , it works fine too... but when i set it to be both, i can Ref home the axis because mach3 tells me that i hit the limit. I read in other posts that mach3 ignores the limit when homing , but it does not seem to do it for me :-) hopefully i'll work that one out too.

Hope this helps somehow.

Miky

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with Novusun NVEM control card-dscn5683-jpg   Help with Novusun NVEM control card-dscn5685-jpg   Help with Novusun NVEM control card-dscn5642-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey folks, I'm new to this forum and to CNC as well. I'm setting up a home DIY CNC router and like you all I purchased the Novusun NVEM BoB. I don't have the motor drivers yet, so I decided to just test the NVEM with Mach3 for connectivity and e-stop functions. Just want to know if the BoB works (bought on eBay).

Setup:

1) Installed Mach3 without the Parallel port driver and added the NVEM plugin.
    2) Connected my computer directly to BoB with the correct IP and no firewall. Using both X-Over and normal ethernet cables.
    3) Connected 24v and E-Stop to BoB.
    4) Configured Mach3 for e-stop (active low) port1 pins(8 and 16)

Results:

1) Maybe 1 out of 10 times I get a connection to Bob and it says "ddream device connected to your computer"

2) Nothing on e-stop at all (looking at diag screen); It's like I'm not connected at all.

Any advice on what I may be doing wrong or is this device a dud.

thanks in advanced.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi mate
    email me on rod@ddhd.com.au , I will send you the rar file for nvem if you want it

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I will send you email in a bit. What's in the rar exactly ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by thehose View Post
    Hey folks, I'm new to this forum and to CNC as well. I'm setting up a home DIY CNC router and like you all I purchased the Novusun NVEM BoB. I don't have the motor drivers yet, so I decided to just test the NVEM with Mach3 for connectivity and e-stop functions. Just want to know if the BoB works (bought on eBay).

Setup:

1) Installed Mach3 without the Parallel port driver and added the NVEM plugin.
    2) Connected my computer directly to BoB with the correct IP and no firewall. Using both X-Over and normal ethernet cables.
    3) Connected 24v and E-Stop to BoB.
    4) Configured Mach3 for e-stop (active low) port1 pins(8 and 16)

Results:

1) Maybe 1 out of 10 times I get a connection to Bob and it says "ddream device connected to your computer"

2) Nothing on e-stop at all (looking at diag screen); It's like I'm not connected at all.

Any advice on what I may be doing wrong or is this device a dud.

thanks in advanced.

My BoB doesn't have pin numbers on the board itself , it says "12V" - " Estop" above the estop screws. Is your board the same as the picture i posted in my prev. post in this thread ?
    If so , i think the DDream is the older driver, it should say "NVEM device connected to your computer". The Driver i was provided with is "NVEM-Novusun-Plugin-Ver-2.0a" i'm not sure if there is a later version ( ? )
    I think 'RodneyCNC' has already emailed that to you.

Estop is on Port1 , Pin1 (low or high depending the switch).

I'm new to all of this and would really need someone with the same NVEM board to compare notes about the few issues bellow that i still cant work out :
    When you finished to set it up i would really appreciate a quick post to this thread and let me know if you have any of those issues . (meanwhile i'll try to create a new thread about them, maybe someone can help)

- "Limits Override" does not work for me (it works fine in emulation mode only) so i can either set my home switches as "home" or "limit" , but not both :-(
    I gave up and settled for "home" only. The only thing i can think of now is it's software/driver related ( ? )

- My homing speed is fine(slow as set in soft limit panel) but the soft limit "Slow Zone" does not have any effect, no slow down, abrupt stop on the soft limit. If i keep jogging back and forward and insisting in hitting the soft limit, the concerned axis jog stops working completely , only way is to exit Mach3 and restart. And Mach3 crashes on exit poping out some Visual C++ trigger errors. (i can survive that one :-)

- When i reset my work coordinates to zero at a specific place then jog around for a while, then click "Goto Zero" , it does it fine but in the DRO display , usually either Y or X is 0.0031 (in mm) , not actually 0.0000 that i would expect.
    It is like if Mach3 just does not send that last Pulse. I have to click "Go To Zero" a second time and that 0.0031 resets to 0.0000. I have never used Mach3 before so i'm not sure if it is something "Normal", "Usual" ( ? )

Cheers

Miky

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by miky4u2 View Post
    My BoB doesn't have pin numbers on the board itself , it says "12V" - " Estop" above the estop screws. Is your board the same as the picture i posted in my prev. post in this thread ?
    If so , i think the DDream is the older driver, it should say "NVEM device connected to your computer". The Driver i was provided with is "NVEM-Novusun-Plugin-Ver-2.0a" i'm not sure if there is a later version ( ? )
    I think 'RodneyCNC' has already emailed that to you.

Estop is on Port1 , Pin1 (low or high depending the switch).

I'm new to all of this and would really need someone with the same NVEM board to compare notes about the few issues bellow that i still cant work out :
    When you finished to set it up i would really appreciate a quick post to this thread and let me know if you have any of those issues . (meanwhile i'll try to create a new thread about them, maybe someone can help)

- "Limits Override" does not work for me (it works fine in emulation mode only) so i can either set my home switches as "home" or "limit" , but not both :-(
    I gave up and settled for "home" only. The only thing i can think of now is it's software/driver related ( ? )

- My homing speed is fine(slow as set in soft limit panel) but the soft limit "Slow Zone" does not have any effect, no slow down, abrupt stop on the soft limit. If i keep jogging back and forward and insisting in hitting the soft limit, the concerned axis jog stops working completely , only way is to exit Mach3 and restart. And Mach3 crashes on exit poping out some Visual C++ trigger errors. (i can survive that one :-)

- When i reset my work coordinates to zero at a specific place then jog around for a while, then click "Goto Zero" , it does it fine but in the DRO display , usually either Y or X is 0.0031 (in mm) , not actually 0.0000 that i would expect.
    It is like if Mach3 just does not send that last Pulse. I have to click "Go To Zero" a second time and that 0.0031 resets to 0.0000. I have never used Mach3 before so i'm not sure if it is something "Normal", "Usual" ( ? )

Cheers

Miky
    Hey Miky,

I'm also interested in working with this BoB, assuming that it's in good working order. As you know the manual is written in ChinGlish and hard to follow other than the pictures which are self explanatory. However this morning over a cup of strong coffee I force myself to read the text and found where they mentioned e-stop on port1,pin1 so I'll try that later this morning.
    I did correspond with Rod, but he did not send the rar file mentioned. The Mach3 plugin that I received from the seller is just a windows dll "NVEM.dll" so no labeling as to version but yes I agree with you is not the latest and I wonder if that is the reason for the connection issues. Do you have a link where I can download your version of the plugin so that we can talk apples-apples. The picture of my BoB is exactly like the one in the manual, e-stop is connected like yours so I'll have to try port1,pin1 to see it work.

I expect to get my motor drivers early this week and hopefully connect to my machine and try motor tuning, travel, etc.

I'll post back here later and let you all know how far I got. If you open a new thread just for this BoB, I'll move there to keep the progress moving forward.

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I should have read the ChinGlish yesterday. After changing the e-stop port/pin on Mach3, the test was successful; The e-stop switch works.
    However, there are still a few idiosyncrasies about my setup that are different from yours as well as the documentation.

First, I did check the version of the plugin in Mach3 and it says "NVEM-Novusun-Plugin-Ver-2.0a" as Miky's does, but the connect status message (when I get one) refers to a ddream and not NVEM as in the documentation. As that message comes from the plugin it self (I'm guessing) something is still fishy.
    Also, after several starts on Mach3 and not receiving any status message about connectivity, the e-stop still works...

Rod, if you could email the NVEM.dll that you are using, I would like to try it to test the connectivity status message issue.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by thehose View Post
    Well I should have read the ChinGlish yesterday. After changing the e-stop port/pin on Mach3, the test was successful; The e-stop switch works.
    However, there are still a few idiosyncrasies about my setup that are different from yours as well as the documentation.

First, I did check the version of the plugin in Mach3 and it says "NVEM-Novusun-Plugin-Ver-2.0a" as Miky's does, but the connect status message (when I get one) refers to a ddream and not NVEM as in the documentation. As that message comes from the plugin it self (I'm guessing) something is still fishy.
    Also, after several starts on Mach3 and not receiving any status message about connectivity, the e-stop still works...

Rod, if you could email the NVEM.dll that you are using, I would like to try it to test the connectivity status message issue.

I uploaded a zip with the dll and manual i was given. You can download from :

https://storage.googleapis.com/miky1...VEM-Driver.zip

I think RodneyCNC posted a link to his driver as well but in a new thread, just found it, file size is only 8 bytes different so i guess they are the same :

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/contro...ml#post2006152

Miky

Last edited by miky4u2; 02-19-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RODCNC1147 View Post
    Hi mate
    email me on rod@ddhd.com.au , I will send you the rar file for nvem if you want it

Towoomba ? i'm on the GC :-) You have a running CNC with the NVEM board ?

Miky

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Towoomba ? i'm on the GC :-) You have a running CNC with the NVEM board ?

Miky
    Towoomba is right... (must be an Aussie thing? :-)))) this new dll does put out the correct status message, still though it does not put the message every time I start Mach3, but not too worried about that.

While I still don't have a CNC running on Mach3/NVEM, I hope to be there by next weekend. At least now I know the board communicates with Mach3 and that the e-stop switch works; Not much but it's something. I still have a bit of a learning curve on Mach3.

I really appreciate you guys helping me get this thing off the ground; I will be monitoring this thread, posting back as soon as I get the motors moving and the system somewhat tuned up.

Miky I would love to stay in touch with you (and Rod) on this subject and compare notes as we move along.

Downloads
    Uploads

A follow up ...

After fiddling more with Mach3/NVEM , below are the following issues that i have , most probably Driver related.

- Soft limits unusable, they attach themselves to work coordinates instead of machine ones. Although I have seen them work correctly once but the problem appeared after restarting Mach3 (Probably driver related)
    - Hitting Soft Limits cause the Axis to stop working completely, Mach3 to crash on exit, most of the time requiring power cycling the NVEM. (probably Driver related)
    - Slow Zone not working (probably driver)
    - 'Limits Overide" not working (probably driver)
    - Cant use a switch as both home and Limit , directly related to the above as it requires the limits override. Homing is still possible by setting the switches as "Home" only ,
    - Z-Moves un-usable (probably driver related)

So far that's it for now might be more later. Apart from the above, it seems usable.
    Still interested to know if other NVEM users are having the same issues or others .. and if you found some fixes or work arounds.

Cheers

Miky

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A follow up ...

After fiddling more with Mach3/NVEM , below are the following issues that i have , most probably Driver related.

- Soft limits unusable, they attach themselves to work coordinates instead of machine ones. Although I have seen them work correctly once but the problem appeared after restarting Mach3 (Probably driver related)
    - Hitting Soft Limits cause the Axis to stop working completely, Mach3 to crash on exit, most of the time requiring power cycling the NVEM. (probably Driver related)
    - Slow Zone not working (probably driver)
    - 'Limits Overide" not working (probably driver)
    - Cant use a switch as both home and Limit , directly related to the above as it requires the limits override. Homing is still possible by setting the switches as "Home" only ,
    - Z-Moves un-usable (probably driver related)

So far that's it for now might be more later. Apart from the above, it seems usable.
    Still interested to know if other NVEM users are having the same issues or others .. and if you found some fixes or work arounds.

Cheers

Miky
    Still waiting for my motor controllers, so other than the e-stop test I'm going on faith.But after seeing all the issues you are having with this device and the complete lack of mfg support (typical for China) now I'm thinking of returning this BoB. Still have a couple of weeks to decide.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A follow up ...
    Miky, I remember (while looking at Mach3 videos on Youtube) something relating to Soft Limits exceeded making Mach3 crash (blue screen of death) unless you (????) within a certain (short) period of time. I wish I could remember what the ???? was that you are supposed to do. So this may not be attributable to the driver. If I come across that again, I'll post it here.

PS: Just got my motor drivers in the mail.

Downloads
    Uploads

Follow up again :-)

I've done more research , the NVEM and NVUM boards are just DDream models (Digital Dream CNC) and use the same driver DDREAM/NVEM v2.0a which has never been fixed and does not work correctly with Mach3 eventhough the boards are advertised as Mach3 cards .

Aparently all the boards "DDREAM CNC, DDUM4 v1.0, DDUM5 v1.0, DDUM6, DDUM3 v1.0, NVEM, NVUM" have the same issues with Soft Limits not working as they should, slow zones not working, and not being able to use switches as Home & Limit (Limits override not working). And maybe other issues.

So that settles it for now, unless there is a fixed driver released one day, they are Not Mach3 compatible boards !

I wish i had know that before buying one, but at least some people will read this in the future before buying one :-)

Michael

Last edited by miky4u2; 02-24-2017 at 04:40 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Follow up again :-)

I've done more research , the NVEM and NVUM boards are just DDream models (Digital Dream CNC) and use the same driver DDREAM/NVEM v2.0a which has never been fixed and does not work correctly with Mach3 eventhough the boards are advertised as Mach3 cards .

Aparently all the boards "DDREAM CNC, DDUM4 v1.0, DDUM5 v1.0, DDUM6, DDUM3 v1.0, NVEM, NVUM" have the same issues with Soft Limits not working and not being able to use switches as Home & Limit. (And maybe other issues)

So that settles it for now, unless there is a fixed driver released one day, they are Not Mach3 compatible boards !

I wish i had know that before buying one, but at least some people will read this in the future before buying one :-)

Michael

Well that means that I'll be returning mine while I still can.
    thanx for all the help.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll try that too. Shame, the hardware performs good, all crippled by probably a dozen lines of codes that they could fix in an hour. Maybe the manufacturer will bother reading this thread one day.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll try that too. Shame, the hardware performs good, all crippled by probably a dozen lines of codes that they could fix in an hour. Maybe the manufacturer will bother reading this thread one day.
    Yeah, it is. Last night I requested a return from the eBay seller and ordered a simple parallel port BoB to get me going. I do hope they read this and fix the plugin otherwise they'll have a bunch more returns.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast