Need Help! Mechatronics 4axis Bipolar board-instructions/configuration

Thread: Mechatronics 4axis Bipolar board-instructions/configuration

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mechatronics 4axis Bipolar board-instructions/configuration

Hello,
    After some searching I have been unable to find links to any documentation for the Mechatronics 4axis bipolar board controller. I thought it would be worth a try to see if someone might have a link or a copy of the documentation for setting up the Mechatronics 4 axis board? I tried easy-cnc but apparently the site is gone or changed. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Regards,
    Wes

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mechatronics 4axis Bipolar board-instructions/configuration

So apparently no one can help with how to configure and the setup of the Mechatronics 4 axis controller board. I guess I will move forward and remove this controller from my 3D printer build and use something else. Thanks for those who read the thread but could not help.

Regards,
    Wes

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi metalworkz

If you can post a picture of the board and if possible the part number of the stepper driver IC's (for example A3982 )

in the past a number of identical boards under various brand names was sold using stepper driver IC's from Allegro Micro Systems
    in the absence of the boards instructions the stepper driver IC data sheet will have the details for setting the motor current

John

PS

Allegro A3982 data sheet and 4 axis board using similar stepper driver IC's

Mechatronics 4axis Bipolar board-instructions/configuration-a3982-datasheet-pdf

Mechatronics 4axis Bipolar board-instructions/configuration-aliencnc4axis-pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello John.
    Thanks for your help and detailed information! I will try and get pictures later today and post them. The help is greatly appreciated!!!

Regards,
    Wes

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, today I got a picture of the Mechatronics Bipolar 4 axis board.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mechatronics 4axis Bipolar board-instructions/configuration-mechatronicsboard-jpg  
    Regards,
    Wes

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi metalworkz

I have not been able find the manual for your board

going by your photo it looks like you have an improved version of the alien cnc board -

the Mechatronics board has opto-isolators connecting the printer port to the step & direction inputs of the stepper driver IC'

so far the nearest I've found is for a 3 axis board here -

Zenbot 1216 CNC - LVL1

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello John,
    I appreciate your efforts to help me. Thanks!

Regards,
    Wes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

try this

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mechatronics 4axis Bipolar board-instructions/configuration-4axis_cnc_board-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks very much for posting the .pdf for the Mechatronics 4 axis board!

Regards,
    Wes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All the IC s on these boards are installed with sockets, burn an axis a while back lucky for me I had also bought replacement IC at the time...a breeze to replace them . Great ideas cause these boards are multilayered and must be very hard if not impossible to solder.
    Too bad they seem to be out of buisness , the board served me well and still does.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalworkz View Post
    OK, today I got a picture of the Mechatronics Bipolar 4 axis board.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,
    I got a 24V power supply installed and everything wired but I can not get the motors to turn! They are powered and the motors stall but I can't get them to move.
    I used the pin settings as in the Mechatronics pdf (2StepX3DirX,4StepY5DirY,6StepZ7DirZ) but it seems as if the motors are not getting the signal from Mach3. I am only using 3 axis so there are only 3 motors connected. Am I missing something with settings? I am not using any limits yet as I need to get some more limit switches but did not think that should interfere with the movement of the axis? I used a gender changer in order to connect the parallel cable but it seems that should be a straight through connector. Maybe I could check the voltage received at the motor wires when Mach sends a signal to move to see if it is getting through the controller board to the motors? Thanks again for any help!

Regards,
    Wes

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,
    I got a 24V power supply installed and everything wired but I can not get the motors to turn! They are powered and the motors stall but I can't get them to move.
    I used the pin settings as in the Mechatronics pdf (2StepX3DirX,4StepY5DirY,6StepZ7DirZ) but it seems as if the motors are not getting the signal from Mach3. I am only using 3 axis so there are only 3 motors connected. Am I missing something with settings? I am not using any limits yet as I need to get some more limit switches but did not think that should interfere with the movement of the axis? I used a gender changer in order to connect the parallel cable but it seems that should be a straight through connector. Maybe I could check the voltage received at the motor wires when Mach sends a signal to move to see if it is getting through the controller board to the motors? Thanks again for any help!
    You may be way ahead of me on this, ...but have you done the the Mach3 set-up configuration and motor tuning described in the manual in Chapter two? If not that may explain why the motors are not getting a signal from Mach3

If you need a copy of the manual see:
    http://www.machsupport.com/wp-conten...all_Config.pdf

HTH.

--Rich

Downloads
    Uploads

Rich,
    Thanks for posting the link to the Mach config. PDF! I figured I might as well read through it all again and I seem to have found my configuration blunder. I use this same laptop for running my SX3 CNC mill and had assumed the parallel port setting was the same as the default that Mach uses to set up a new profile, but this system is using 0x3bc instead. I got the motors partially tuned but the Y axis will not reverse direction, even with DIR active low checked, and tried reverse on the Homing and limits, as well as reversing the wires on the controller. It seems to respond well to the tuning but I can not seem to get it to travel in both + and - directions.
    Does anyone know of something I might try besides the solutions Mach is giving me? I am thinking if I can not resolve this problem I will try another small stepper motor that is similar to see if it responds correctly. Thanks again for any help or suggestions. Off to the Mach support site to see if I can find something.

Regards,
    Wes

Downloads
    Uploads

<snip>
    I got the motors partially tuned but the Y axis will not reverse direction, even with DIR active low checked, and tried reverse on the Homing and limits, as well as reversing the wires on the controller. It seems to respond well to the tuning but I can not seem to get it to travel in both + and - directions.
    Does anyone know of something I might try besides the solutions Mach is giving me? I am thinking if I can not resolve this problem I will try another small stepper motor that is similar to see if it responds correctly. Thanks again for any help or suggestions. Off to the Mach support site to see if I can find something.
    Hi Wes --

I am assuming that you have X & Z Axes working in both directions. I am also assuming that you have operated the Y-Axis, by hand, with power off and it is not binding or obstructed.

You might easily SWAP the cable (power off) from the Mechatronics board X-Axis running it to the Y-Motor to see if the Y-motor is working properly. If that test works, it is something in the Y-Axis driver, like the IC. If it doesn't then there might be something wrong with the motor, ground or possibly the cable.

If you don't need all four Axes you can map the A-Axis (or whatever it is named on your system) to Y if the current Y-Axes is damaged.. Output IC's are vulnerable when the cable is unplugged while the power is on, but can be easily replaced once you have the right chip.

HTH.

--Rich

Downloads
    Uploads

Rich,
    Thanks for taking the time to help. I went back through all the settings and found outputs enabled that were not needed and after disabling them and restarting Mach
    the Y axis is working correctly now. Now I am proceeding with the motor tuning but I need to set up at least a Home for each axis and soft limits if not also using limits at the end of travel. The Mechatronics board has connections for limits but I am thinking of just using a Home and soft limits like on my other machines and in that case I will need inputs from the breakout section of the Mechatronics board. I have some mechanical and some optical switches to use that should work fine for a 3D printer since there will be no dust or chips. Thanks again for the help!

Regards,
    Wes

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the help to get the Mechatronics 4 axis board working with this 3D printer build. I was able to get all the axis working but could not figure out the breakout board section to drive the PLA feed motor. I tried everything I could think of but when I tried switching the X and the 4th axis wires I accidentally shorted out the axis and the X is no longer working thanks to my mistake. Now I have the alternatives of either changing the slaved Z axis motors to a single motor driven axis with perhaps a belt drive between which will necessitate a lot of mechanical changes for that axis or finding another 4 axis controller to replace the Mechatronics board. I have decided to try another 4 axis drive rather than to do a lot of work to change the Z axis mechanism and will pursue changing out the controller board and re-wiring it as time permits. I could not get the PLA feed motor to drive even though it would show being powered so I am hoping the replacement Chinese 4 axis board will not introduce more problems into the build but I am sure I will find out soon. Thanks again for all the help getting the Mechatronics board working to some extent.
    Wes

Regards,
    Wes