What should I upgrade to?

Thread: What should I upgrade to?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default What should I upgrade to?

I have a Lagunmatic 110 CNC mill with an old Dynapath Delta 20 control system. I want to upgrade the controls.

The previous owner has already retrofitted the DC servos to Fanuc AC servos powered by Allen Bradley servo drives. The drives are currently operating on an analog signal from the Delta system but can operate on step/dir or other input if needed.

The existing control system is 30 years old but has some features I have trouble finding in hobby-level CNC kits. For example, the Delta control system has encoder inputs from all axes. Each axis encoder goes to the servo drive and also to the control system. All the hobby CNC controllers I have encountered do not have encoder inputs. (I don't guess I need that feature, but giving it up seems like a step in the wrong direction)

The mill is currently capable of helical interpolation. I would hate to give that up as well. I want a 3D mill.

I don't want to lose anything in the upgrade; performance, etc. I hear that the Dynapath systems have a super easy conversational language but I don't know it, so I don't mind giving that up. but that's about it.

LinuxCNC I heard is capable of utilizing the encoder feedback but with what card? Galil has some nice stuff but I can't afford it. The MASSO controller looks cool but the details on it are sketchy.

FYI I already have an old desktop to donate to the project, so a PC-based system would have a free starting point.

So what solution do you recommend?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What should I upgrade to?

If you are considering LinuxCNC (and its a great solution with true closed loop back to the controller),
    its important to know that Interface hardware for LinuxCNC is different from Mach or other common CNC interface
    hardware because the I/O hardware must work in real time.

This means for example that buffered, non-real time hardware like Galil cannot be used with LinuxCNC.
    There are at least 3 companies that make hardware specifically for LinuxCNC:

General Mechatronics
    Mesa
    Pico Systems

If you decide to use LinuxCNC I would definitely look into interface hardware from the listed companies

A common option we (Mesa) sell for analog servo retrofits is the 7I77/5I25 card set.
    This card set has 6 encoder inputs all with index capability, 6 analog +-10V outputs
    16 12/24V outputs and 32 12/24V inputs. In addition it has a high speed serial expansion port
    if more I/O is required

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PCW_MESA View Post
    If you are considering LinuxCNC (and its a great solution with true closed loop back to the controller),
    its important to know that Interface hardware for LinuxCNC is different from Mach or other common CNC interface
    hardware because the I/O hardware must work in real time.

This means for example that buffered, non-real time hardware like Galil cannot be used with LinuxCNC.
    There are at least 3 companies that make hardware specifically for LinuxCNC:

General Mechatronics
    Mesa
    Pico Systems

If you decide to use LinuxCNC I would definitely look into interface hardware from the listed companies

A common option we (Mesa) sell for analog servo retrofits is the 7I77/5I25 card set.
    This card set has 6 encoder inputs all with index capability, 6 analog +-10V outputs
    16 12/24V outputs and 32 12/24V inputs. In addition it has a high speed serial expansion port
    if more I/O is required
    HEY! I was just hunting you down to see if you had any input; you replied in the mean time.
    With regards to the 7I77/5I25 card set, My analog input to my drives is nothing but a setting, and it's only set that way because my current controls are analog. I have other options:

That being said, do you still think that the 7I77/5I25 card set is my best bet with Mesa?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What should I upgrade to?-xaxis-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I would probably stay with analog if you want closed loop position at the controller
    You can do closed loop with step/dir if the drive can supply emulated encoder signals
    but its a bit more awkward to setup

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PCW_MESA View Post
    I would probably stay with analog if you want closed loop position at the controller
    You can do closed loop with step/dir if the drive can supply emulated encoder signals
    but its a bit more awkward to setup
    OK, thanks.
    What else would I need?
    A cable to go between the boards? P/N?
    Drivers?
    Software?

Edit: maybe I found my answer in the price list:
    7I77-5I25 PNG Plug-N-Go Kit 5I25 + 7I77 + IEEE1284 cable 6ft + SP or LP Bracket 279

Downloads
    Uploads

I just ordered the kit from you via email.
    Thank you for being present and active. That's why I ordered from you.
    I hope your post-sale support is as good as pre-sale.
    Don't worry; I don't always ask this many questions. I usually bash my head into walls until I figure things out.
    I'm only asking these noob questions because I'm in a time crunch to get something ordered.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have posted the Dynapath controls on eBay.
    Any constructive criticism of my listing is welcome
    Dynapath Delta 20 CRT 4201264 + panel (plus entire control system inlcuded free)