Need Help! Trying to figure out software options for chinese controller

Thread: Trying to figure out software options for chinese controller

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Trying to figure out software options for chinese controller

Hey all,
    I am new to this forum (was pointed here by someone I met a Maker Faire), and I have little luck searching trying to find some answers to my current question. I don't have previous experience with CNC milling, but I'm not a complete greenhorn since I have been building and running 3D printers for about 7 years, so I am familiar with a lot of the general concepts of CNC (including doing things like debugging gcode). I just bought a chinese 6040 that came with exactly zero documentation or software, so I am currently tearing it down to figure out what all it is running, figure out what I need to run it and checking all the assembly for things that are misassembled/loose.

What I have found so far is that it is using a nMotion mach 3 (v5.0) usb controller board like this one: nMotion Mach3 5 Axis USB CNC Motion Card Interface Adapter for Servo Step Motor

From the little I have been able to find online about this controller board, I have seen some references to using mach3 to ship the gcode to it but that is about it so far. Are there options other than mach3 for sending the gcode to these types of controllers? The only windows machine I currently own (and the one I would prefer to use if I have to use windows) is a windows 10 system on a board. Also, I realize that there is a high probability that I will likely swap out the controller hardware for something else (that may or may not need/use mach3/4) so I don't really want to invest in that software cost until I am sure that is the route I am going. Also for context, I would much prefer something that is mac/linux compatible if that is an option as I don't really have much for windows options available currently.

One other thing, does anyone know of a good place to find out info on what stepper drivers I have in this? The drivers that this has in it are all marked in chinese, so I don't know anything about them yet (I'm going to see if google translate can help me decode what they have on them)

(TLDR; actual questions are in bold in case I was rambling)

Thanks!